&@#%@&# Blower Fans!

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post Sat. Oct. 26, 2013 11:03 pm

grumpy wrote:Could the filter be slowing down air flow making it run hotter?
It's brand new. Only two days use on it and as stated, the fiber ones are barely adequate to keep out birds and bees so I'm not sure it's an airflow issue.
Jeff

“Many people want the government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.”

Milton Friedman

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - (custom built by Jim Dorsey, Taunton MA - RIP 4/18/13)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (SOLD!)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 12:19 am

Had the Fasco on my Mark I for 3 years until I sold the stove. No filter .. and no oil either! Didn't think anything after '79 had provisions for lubrication, so I never checked. :lol:

I'm on year 5 with the Mark III, which has a bigger Fasco. No filter again, and no issues yet. This one I saturated both bearings with Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil, to the point where it's leaking right now ... and I oiled it 2 years ago. I figured it would fail quick, since I shut it down each time I load the stove, so it doesn't feed me a facefull of flyash every time I open the load door ... then restart it when I'm done. Stays going 24-30 hours non-stop throughout the heating season, with a half hour break for loading. Since I'm installing that boiler, it won't be getting much use in the future. For now, I'm burning wood in the Mark III just to get us by until that thing is all plumbed in.

First thing I thought when I read the first page, is I'd shitcan that filter. At least worth at shot at this rate anyway. ;)
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ...Such laws make things worse
for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to
encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with
greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in "On
Crimes and Punishment."

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 6:06 am

You're not using a rheostat on the blower are you?
" A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" -- 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution....
IT AIN'T ABOUT HUNTING Two to the chest............one to the head. The Mozambique Drill :rambo3:

- John

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 7:08 am

people keep telling me all these motor & engine companies are now being made in China (idk, maybe that has something to do with the fact that some people with older model Fasco's & Dayton's love em' while others hate them?), I know on my Fasco's I don't have any lub ports and the only maintenance I give is a vacuum once per year (I even got a 35 year old one from Beamerboy and it works like a champ!) :shock:

SuperBeetle

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:42 am

The one I bought a few years ago was made in USA ;)
" A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" -- 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution....
IT AIN'T ABOUT HUNTING Two to the chest............one to the head. The Mozambique Drill :rambo3:

- John

Visit Hitzer Stoves

jpete

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 9:44 am

SuperBeetle wrote:You're not using a rheostat on the blower are you?
No.

Hoping I get a chance to look at it today. I'm going to help a friend with a boiler install and then I need to make serious progress on a catapult for the Boy Scouts Pumpkin Smash event in two weeks.
Jeff

“Many people want the government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.”

Milton Friedman

SuperBeetle

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 9:47 am

SMITTY wrote:I'd shitcan that filter.
Me too :roll:

- John

jpete

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Just got it apart and it's the front bearing making noise. It's a sealed bearing so the best I could think was to stand the shaft on end and put some oil on top and hope it seeps into the bearing. Doubt that's the fix though.

The machinist/mechanic/Swamp Yankee in me wants to track down a new bearing and press it on but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. :)
Jeff

Milton Friedman

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 5:21 pm

What are the bearing dimensions?

SuperBeetle

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Grainger probably has the bearing ;)

- John

Visit Hitzer Stoves

jpete

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:30 pm

The bearing is marked "TPI" and "608 Z(?) 2(?)"

It is a .315" shaft and has a .866" OD. It is .275" thick.
Jeff

Milton Friedman

jpete

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Jeff

Milton Friedman

jpete

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Great....I just made another list....I went to the TPI bearing website and it's been hacked by the "True Cyber Army" who put up a picture of some Syrian(?) military guy...just my luck...
Jeff

Milton Friedman

jpete

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Think this would work better?

http://www.amazon.com/S608-2RS-Bearing-8x22x7-Cer ... s_indust_7
S608-2RS Bearing 8x22x7 Si3N4 Ceramic Stainless Steel Sealed ABEC-5

Single-row bearing for supporting typical radial loads
Stainless steel for resistance to corrosion and high temperatures
Conforms to ABEC 5 precision standard for performance within a narrow range of variation
Rubber seals on both sides of the bearing to keep lubricant in and contaminants out
Jeff

Milton Friedman

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”