Variable Speed Control

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
hardcoal
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Alaskan Hot Water Boiler circa 70's
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaskan Manual Coal Stove - August 2013
Coal Size/Type: chestnut - pea
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: hand fired boiler &

Post Fri. Oct. 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Just about time to set up my Kodiak Hand Fired Gravity Fed Coal Stove for supplementary basement heat. Purchased a dual cage Kodiak H F Blower to mount on the stove. Question - Is there some type of speed control/or method that I can use on the blower to be able to vary the speed and/or turn it off without unplugging it when not in use? Just a thought! I believe the blower has an induction type motor. Not sure if a small AC/DC controller would work, dimmer switch, etc.

What say ye? Any an all suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much & keep warm. HC

Visit Hitzer Stoves

top top
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Kodiac Hand Fired with hopper.

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 11:52 am

I called Alaska with questions about the Kodiac. Very nice people, BTW. Couldn't have been more helpful. They sell a speed controller for their fan. I think he said $50 plus shipping. He said it was a rheostat, so I imagine you could build your own for less. Not sure how many watts the fan draws. I would be interested in what you do.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Bought this one yrs ago from Elec outlet store or on line--I'm old---I forget :clap: toothy Not sure of price but It's a good unit--plug into wall outlet & then plug stove in. Five yrs & she still works just fine:)
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Just be sure to size control so amp rating is big enough to handle the motor amps.

Fasco Blower Wiring?
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:49 pm

I bought a simple rheostat from Home Depot, same as you would use for light dimming. It worked fine. I was careful not to turn it so far down that the fan stopped entirely, but I could run it pretty low. Turn it all the way counter-clockwise and it clicked off. I installed it in a standard two-gang box, rheostat on one side and the controlled outlet on the other, plugged the fan into the controlled outlet.

I tried a much-more-expensive router speed control from a woodworking catalog, which contained a circuit board and did not work at all with my fan. There must be some electrical / motor principle that explains why, but you'll never get it out of me! :lol:
Simple answers for simple minds.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 5:23 am

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 6:30 am

Been using these for years. Work well. Available from many vendors. http://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Supply-Dial-A-Temp ... B002U0X86Q

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 7:55 am

I have seen many times where folks use those $14.95 home depot variable speed controls (used for lighting often) and they to work! (I'd just keep it as far from the heat as possible).

Visit Hitzer Stoves

waldo lemieux
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 8:33 am

freetown fred wrote:Bought this one yrs ago from Elec outlet store or on line--I'm old---I forget :clap: toothy Not sure of price but It's a good unit--plug into wall outlet & then plug stove in. Five yrs & she still works just fine:)
Fred,
It appears you crossed "fix wall" off the ole "to do list" a tad prematurely. It happens to me routinely, but my spousal unit is always at the ready to remind me what I must have merely "forgot" to do. I know from your previous posts about your spousal situation and bein' the kind citizen I am ,I thought Id just mention it :P
When faced with a seemingly impossible task, my grandfather always said "can't never can, untill try comes along"

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 9:05 am

Spousal unit took the money I'd set aside for that repair plus everything else but my balls. At least her name is off the deed:) It still remains on my--we'll get to it list :clap: toothy
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

waldo lemieux
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 9:08 am

^^^ :rofl:
When faced with a seemingly impossible task, my grandfather always said "can't never can, untill try comes along"

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 11:36 am

The router control units are meant to control motors with brushes not a brushless motor as most small fan motors tend to be brushless. I have made and used a rheostat on a gang box with an outlet on one side, however, I found when controlling a fan motor the slower you set the rheostat the more touchy it became. I also didn't like the over all size of the unit. The dial a temp units work very well. Just plug the fan in the unit and plug the unit into an outlet, turn the dial to desired fan speed. The dial a temp units work well on all brushless motors. The dial a temp units also have an off position so you do not have to unplug the fan to turn it off.

The snowman.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Beeman wrote:Been using these for years. Work well. Available from many vendors. http://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Supply-Dial-A-Temp ... B002U0X86Q
That's what came with my new 50-93. Even on low the motor/blower unit is still spinning at a decent speed.

hardcoal
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Alaskan Hot Water Boiler circa 70's
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaskan Manual Coal Stove - August 2013
Coal Size/Type: chestnut - pea
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: hand fired boiler &

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Not sure how this will post on the forum but wanted to thank all that shared their expertise. I called Alaska today an was told that the blower is what they call a Shade-Pole design, if that makes sense/cents?? With all the scripture that was posted and the terrific information I decided to purchase a digital AC controller I saw posted on eBay and pretty sure it will perform with this blower.

I will just have to use a gang box I have to install the components. The dial a temp unit was perfect, but I'm rather thrifty and couldn't bring myself to spending for one. :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/251346298490?ssPageName=S ... 1497.l2649 this is the link to the unit I purchased. Thought some of you may like to know what I came up with. Hope this helps?

Thank you all again. You not only helped me but I'm sure there are others that will benefit from our discussions. Kindest regards - HC

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 8:47 pm

That is exactly what I have recommended here a few times previously.
You will find it to do a very fine job for you.
If you need any assistance with how to wire it, just give a shout. :)
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”