Stove Sizing

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 11:56 am

Loco627 wrote:I just assumed a furnace would heat it more efficiently. I don't have the space for it upstairs and was trying to avoid running a new chimney. The basement is mostly unfinished and I would think I'm going to lose a lot of heat wicking through the cinder block walls. If that is not the case, I'd actually prefer a stove that would run without electric.
I think your first option is the right one. A furnace with insulated jacket.

Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Its difficult for me to say what I'd do in your house. A stand alone stove works wonders in my house. I like the simplicity of it. No matter what, I have heat.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 1:54 pm

If you want to run without electricity, I would take a hard look at the DS Machine circulator series. I am heating 1400 sq feet of living space, plus my unfinished basement with my DS 1500 Circulator. The stove has no problem keeping up in even the coldest temperatures. I used a little less than 3 tons of coal last year.

The 1600 circulator would be even better if you can fit it. The larger stove will still idle down like the smaller ones. Even if you don't need the extra BTUs, you get the benefit of longer burn times.

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post by Bruce M » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Loco627 wrote:.... I don't have the space for it upstairs and was trying to avoid running a new chimney. The basement is mostly unfinished and I would think I'm going to lose a lot of heat wicking through the cinder block walls. If that is not the case, I'd actually prefer a stove that would run without electric.
You will lose heat through the concrete floor and block walls, you could put a heat shield on the floor and closest wall if you wish to help but it's been my limited experience that it is not necessary, My house is 73* during the coldest part of the winter with the stove humming along at about 2/3 on the bimeteal stat. It's is very nice to have a non electric hand fired when the power goes out, as it does frequently where I live.
One thing you said was that you wanted to avoid building a new chimney. That is not possible in my area, and most places as I understand, I have to have one flue per unit, no sharing of chimneys.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 2:40 pm

I wouldn't be concerned with lost heat absorbed by the basement walls. The pros to having the appliance in the basement out weigh the cons in my opinion.. I used to have an occasional frozen water pipe. Not any more. My basement is very damp. Not in the winter, not any more.. Any heat radiated by the furnace also warms my floors.. I can especially feel it with bare feet on the linoleum kitchen floor.. Dust and ashes?? Good place for them, in the basement :D Need a little alone time?? lol tend yer furnace, in the basement :lol:

Loco627
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Circulator 1500

Post by Loco627 » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Bruce M wrote:
Loco627 wrote:.... I don't have the space for it upstairs and was trying to avoid running a new chimney. The basement is mostly unfinished and I would think I'm going to lose a lot of heat wicking through the cinder block walls. If that is not the case, I'd actually prefer a stove that would run without electric.
You will lose heat through the concrete floor and block walls, you could put a heat shield on the floor and closest wall if you wish to help but it's been my limited experience that it is not necessary, My house is 73* during the coldest part of the winter with the stove humming along at about 2/3 on the bimeteal stat. It's is very nice to have a non electric hand fired when the power goes out, as it does frequently where I live.
One thing you said was that you wanted to avoid building a new chimney. That is not possible in my area, and most places as I understand, I have to have one flue per unit, no sharing of chimneys.
I'm not likely gonna share the flue, I'm just gonna disconnect the oil heater. If I suck at life and can't get the coal going in the middle of the night, I'll just swap back!

Loco627

Post by Loco627 » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 4:08 pm

I called DS, I'm going to go spend some time there tomorrow.

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 4:29 pm

They're built like tanks, you wont go wrong with them.

Loco627

Post by Loco627 » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Bruce M wrote:They're built like tanks, you wont go wrong with them.
Went to visit DS Machine today. Aren't those folks just the friendliest people I've ever met! Ended up ordering a circulator 1500. They were confident that would be capable of doing what I need. Two to three weeks until it's built though. :( Guess I'm going to have to give in and fire up the oil burner. I was impressed by the quality and they seem very easy to use and maintain. Also, only a couple hundred more than the hot blast I was originally planning on. I can live with that. Thanks for the suggestions folks, y'all have taken me down a better path than I was headed already!

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Good for ya. A lot on here have that very stove and love it, I'm sure you will also. When it comes to the install, firing it up and maintenance the guys on this board are great help and resource, don't be afraid to ask questions, they are very helpful and quick to share their knowledge.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Loco627 wrote:...

I'm not likely gonna share the flue, I'm just gonna disconnect the oil heater. If I suck at life and can't get the coal going in the middle of the night, I'll just swap back!
Now get this straight, if you "get the coal going" early evening, you won't need to touch the stove until the next "day"!

Loco627

Post by Loco627 » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 9:57 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Now get this straight, if you "get the coal going" early evening, you won't need to touch the stove until the next "day"!
That's what I like to hear!

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Fri. Oct. 25, 2013 12:59 am

Loco627 wrote:
Went to visit DS Machine today. Aren't those folks just the friendliest people I've ever met! Ended up ordering a circulator 1500.....
Congrats on the purchase! You're going to love that stove!

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 2:47 pm

My sister and her husband just bought a DS circulator last week. It was re-finished but looked brand new and only cost them 750 bucks!! They are very close to the OP as well behind Lancaster laboratories in Leola, PA

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”