,Harman Mark II Hand Fire

ganzer

Post by ganzer » Sun. Oct. 20, 2013 11:18 pm

What is the best size coal to use in Harman markii hand fire. I just installed it and experimented with buckwheat size so far. Seems to run nice bit I don't have experience with coal yet. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for me. Thanks

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. Oct. 20, 2013 11:55 pm

Fill in your location, it will give us all a better judgement on your climate zone. I prefer to use Nut in my Mark 3 but with the current Blaschak I'm burning thier is alot more pea sizes mixed in. Which is ok this time of year for lower burn temps. Depending on your location Buck my not support the much needed under air flow that a good hot fire needs.

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Mon. Oct. 21, 2013 8:14 pm

ganzer wrote:What is the best size coal to use in Harman markii hand fire. I just installed it and experimented with buckwheat size so far. Seems to run nice bit I don't have experience with coal yet. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for me. Thanks
I believe Harman recommends pea,nut,or stove size for that stove.
I have used pea and nut in my TLC 2000 without any trouble. I think the grates are the same as the mark II. But I could be wrong.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Oct. 21, 2013 9:26 pm

during less cold weather folks have burned pea to be able to maintain lower temps and get longer burn times. the nut will burn hotter and burn up faster because the larger size allows more air flow through the coal bed. The stove size is the next step up in heat but again with shorter burn times.

this is just a generalization, your stove / chimney set up will have its own personality with respect to draft which will affect how it does with the different size coal. if possible it is best to burn a few hundred pounds of each size (and from particular breakers) to see what works for you before investing in a couple tons.

i am a little surprised the buck didn't fall through the grates.

ganzer

Post by ganzer » Mon. Oct. 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks for your advice. I'm gonna test with the pee and nut. Thanks

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Oct. 22, 2013 5:45 am

I use pea in the "tween" months of late Oct and early Apr and a mix of pea and nut for the dead of winter. It works well is easier to dial in on the temperature I want to maintain. Lisa

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Tue. Oct. 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Where do you live? If you're in the VA area with Lisa, pea might be all you need.

Here in RI and north, that won't even take the chill off the house and you'll be shoveling coal like the 3:10 to Yuma.

I'm about ready to start the season here in an hour or so and I start with chestnut and by Christmas, I'll step up to stove coal. Maybe before then if the Farmers Almanac is correct.

The Harman will burn just about anything you shove in there, the question is, will it produce the results you want based on your unique set of conditions.

Don't be afraid to try other sizes and mix and match as needed.

coalcracker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Standard sealed hot water boiler, hand fed
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I Magnafire
Baseburners & Antiques: Lehigh Oak 18, Washington potbelly, Sears Roebuck parlor cabinet, PIttston 6 lid cook stove, vintage combo gas/coal cook stove 4 lid
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by coalcracker » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 7:23 am

ganzer wrote:What is the best size coal to use in Harman markii hand fire. I just installed it and experimented with buckwheat size so far. Seems to run nice bit I don't have experience with coal yet. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for me. Thanks
Burn nut coal, I have a Harman I and a full load of nut coal will burn over 24 hours. The smaller coal burns smoothly but less area around the pieces for air so it doesn't throw as much heat.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”