DSM 1400 Installation Clearances ?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 3:57 pm

My belief is if you want a damper it should be a baro. You can install it without taking down the pipe with the collar they supply.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 4:44 pm

i'm leaning that way, I think they have a decent handle on heat path and retention on this stove, just need to make sure it doesn't over draft.

i've just shook it down from this mornings fill, used maybe an inch of coal in 11hrs.

i've got it filled and running at the top of the bricks now and am going to fill the hopper, this should be an interesting week end. other than shake downs i'm betting on sunday night before it needs more coal.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 6:24 pm

KingCoal wrote:... exit of all the heat straight out the back of the stove.
my stove isn't like that. there is a clam shell shelf / baffle above the back of the fire box that extends out toward the back of the hopper, is 3/4 the width of the interior of the stove and arches up to the center line of the exit ring / flange. this forces the heat to move first forward and to the sides, then up and back around the ends of the shelf to get out.

"curious and curioser"
Curious and curiouser, indeed. I have been looking at my DSM 1300 and wondering why it doesn't have exactly such a baffle. Maybe this is a very recent design change, as my stove is only 18 months old? How about other DSM circulator owners -- do you have the baffle? I'm wondering about a retrofit.

I also suggested to somebody -- David??? -- at DSM, that they should add shallow fins on the sides of the stove, behind the grilles, to increase surface area. If the stoves start coming through like that, I'll have to ask for a kickback. :P

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 6:56 pm

thanks for popping in rberg.

yes I was taken back when I first discovered the baffle shelf. it was very obvious for what and how it was intended to perform. I was not at the time able to check for the feature on any other stoves at the shop, too big a hurry to get mine home. LOL

also, I don't know if it's absence in the 1300 has anything to do with internal front back space or not, it could since that stove is listed as 20" deep. BUT, since the firebox is layed out the same and the hopper has the same angle it looks to me that a properly sized copy should be able to be added.

our forecast has been revised to warmer next week and i'm considering using that possibility to add a Baro to my set up. if that comes to pass i'll try to get some pics.

i too think the fin idea has merit esp. if used behind the grills.

coming from a 70's era stove to this DS 1400 is pretty shocking in terms of performance and adjustment. right now I have the fuel bed full to the top of the bricks with a full hopper in reserve and because of the compact and vertical bed i'm able to have it set at 1.75 on the dial, have 350* on stove top, 150* on pipe and the air inlet is hovering just open. I have a ring of blue ladies dancing around the lower hopper opening and the house is an even 70* every where I care about.

when I had a full bed of coal like this in the riteway and had it on enforced idle with about the same same air you had to have the house open at several points at anything under 20* outside. I never did get it to run coal on the bi- metal because of needing to keep a side of the bed lower than the flue exit the bed of coal was always just a bit thin and it was all burning at once. if the damper closed completely it would cool off then struggle to come back and each time it would be worse then it would just loose enough heat to go out.
Last edited by KingCoal on Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ridgeracing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove

Post by ridgeracing » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 8:21 pm

hman wrote:I've got a 1400 DS Machine and the minimum clearances they on the back of my stove is,back:24" sides:36" flue:15" yes 15"not 18"
That is what is on the tag on the back of the stove.When I ordered mine, I had them too weld 5/16 nuts on the back corners so I could install my own heat shield.My flue comes out the top on mine also,don't have a hopper.The sides don't get as hot as the back I don't think.Hope this help's.
Same clearances for DS1600

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 9:28 pm

KingCoal wrote:our forecast has been revised to warmer next week and i'm considering using that possibility to add a Baro to my set up. if that comes to pass i'll try to get some pics.
I have a baro, and I added a manual damper this year because the baro seemed very often to be open all the way -- not like with my former Harman, which was baffled. So far the manual damper seems to make no difference -- that is, the manual totally closed or totally open seems not to affect the baro opening at all. But it's early in the season yet, maybe I will see different behavior when the weather turns colder.

If you take pictures, please also take measurements -- that is, how far from the back of the stove is the baffle, and what is its height and width. Is it made of pretty rugged steel, or is it light-weight?

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 10:32 am

ok I am now REALLY impressed with this stove.

i left it at 1.75 on the dial from 5:00 pm last night till 5:00 am held 350 * all night with 2" blues the whole time. when I looked in the hopper it had gone down 2" from the lip and after a shake to get a glow under the whole grate area 3". now if I calculated the area to find the weight i'm sure it wouldn't be much.

as an experiment in "how low can you go" at the time I tended the stove I turn the regulator back to 1.5 and left for work. since I have time to run around some I went back to look at it at 10:00. stove top temp. 275 *, blues still active though down to 1 " tall, house still stable at 71*.

:love:

rberg, I can get both the pics and measurements. this is a very simple and effective feature,i'd be surprised if they aren't all coming this way now.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 11:04 am

Like your reports as they are objective and have detail. Things will change a bit though as the grates will not be as clear as when starting a fresh fire. Always wondered about that low flue exit on the Riteway when using coal. you answered that too. Keep the reports coming.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 11:28 am

thanks francob,

being a flow of consciousness type of guy I tend to ramble at times cause I see the connection of "everything", or so my wife informs me.

i'm thinking if I keep up a regular tending schedule that the grates won't load up terribly in between even with greater burn rates. as with the rest, we'll see.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 6:13 pm

OK, i'm throwin the wife and grandson out of the house, quittin' my job, going on welfare, snap and energy assistance ( if i'm going to cheat might as well get it all LOL ) and just sittin' here in my shorts all winter watching this thing run !!

12 hrs. from last tending, dial still on 1.5, 2-3 inch blues, stove top 275*, pipe 125*, still at least 3" of coal in the hopper, house has dropped 3*.

that last might seem negative but I've been outside pretty much all day as usual, in 37*, and 68* everywhere in the house feels like Hawaii to me.

not going to add any coal or shake it tonight. I want to see how it acts unattended for 24 hrs. and I want to be able to pull the hopper out tomorrow to get pics and measurements of the baffle. DS made a very good move with this and it's worthy of attention and should be an easy retro for anyone who can form steel and weld. this feature alone is capable of seriously improving every DS that didn't get it originally.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Oct. 25, 2013 7:41 am

everything still good.

a vigorous shake and 4 fireplace shovel scoops of coal had it burning strong and the rest of about 1/2 a hod of coal on top for the day.

this stove has cut my early season coal use by 50% already and i'm not having to let the excess heat out of the house to live in it.

retirement just got a couple yrs. closer. :D

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Oct. 26, 2013 9:31 am

ordered a Baro this morning, will be here in time to install next week during the warmer days.

will also be taking some pics inside the stove to show the baffle plate orientation.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”