Thinking of These Two Coal Stoves as Purchases

badlegdave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Baseburners & Antiques: Union Stove Works - Invader 2 Parlour Stove
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by badlegdave » Sat. Oct. 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts about these two stoves for sale? I am trying to heat a 700 ft basement with insulated walls all around and a stair way that would allow any excess heat to go to the first floor of about 800 ft and then to a loft of about 300 ft. Insulation throughout.
Sites attached:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/app/4087482001.html

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/for/4120070371.html

Are they good stoves and are the prices right?

Thanks

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Oct. 12, 2013 10:53 pm

The Russo is a solid stove. this one is missing the legs and they can be bought cheaper.

The other stove is a wood stove and not coal.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Oct. 12, 2013 11:08 pm

My sister ran a Russo for years, batch burner with feed from the front. A little messy compared to a hopper fed but good none the less. White ash coal will be your friend but overall a good unit from the 80's. Good basic steel stove to start with.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 7:29 am

ok here we go.... I have absolute 100% answer to your question.... DO NOT BUY THAT Consolidated Dutchwest (Ill try to put this delicately... "They SUCK"!)
The Russo on the other hand is as stated "a solid stove", the Russo is prolly triple the weight of that consolidated piece 0 crap (everyone knows I don't like big square coal stoves unless they are stokers with forced draft and no shaking required, but having said that... I've run many Russo's and they do preform and they are well built). Both Russo and CD are wood stoves companies and both were built as wood stoves and adapted for coal, You can find them in the Boston area from $100-$300, this one does look pretty nice... make an offer (its worth a shot).

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 11:34 am

Think carefully before buying a small capacity batch stove, I think you will regret it. Being a stove mistress gets boring real quick. That's why the Invader with magazine was good and that's why the batch stove Crane 88 (deep bed) is good as both should get a 12 hr burn and why say the Crane 44 might be given a miss in my book. Even the legendary Jotul 507 can become a pain to keep going. My theory is new coal burners (and wood) give up when they have to constantly tend the stove. What is your limit on budget as when you pay more, you get more. However, for $100? the Crane 88 is in front so far amongst the cheap stoves that are for sale around here. If you can push the budget up then a stoker would be good. Once a day tending or less, thermostatic control but that is the high end option but the issue of fan noise can be annoying if the stove is in the room where you live.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 4:51 pm

+1 on avoiding any Dutchwest product. I used my parents old 1987 dutchwest wood/coal burner the first year that I burned coal. The design isn't that bad, but the metallurgy is garbage. Honestly, I wouldn't install one unless it was free, and I had no other options.

I would try to find a used DS or Hitzer stove. These are rock solid stoves that will last for many years.

Good luck!

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 5:12 pm

CNB; DCrane I recognized the Dutchwest stove to be wood and of thin Asian manufacture. :no1: I have no intensions of purchasing it. I do know a gentleman that has a Russo which he burns wood only in. I do not know if it is capable of coal however he has found it to be adequate for his application (similar heating size to mine) in regard to heat output and easy to operate.
You mention that Russo has been "adapted" to burn coal. That strikes a note of fear in me :eek2: because I do want to continue with wood since my six replacement joints are protesting to my continuing to split wood. I love to do it, but my boys have said "Dad, you are done splitting. :mad: We will handle it now". Nice, but they will be gone soon enough with there lives so I must adapt to coal or just go to the thermostat and wait for the PSE&G bill :down: to come. PP&L in PA. Budget? There is none. ;) What would $500 get me if I was able? Sound of a fan is not an issue presently.

Try this link to view a Russo burning coal.
What say you?

No more smiley faces, Just a moment of hysteria.

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 5:13 pm

Proof read Dave. I DO NOT want to continue with wood.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 5:19 pm

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Buy it now at $375 or make an offer? You say move quickly.
My boys are thinking it woud be nice to be able to see the fire. I am a romantic also. Any along this line?
I am starting to sound like a woman.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Well of course I agree with you 100%. I like to see the fire particularly those old mica multiwindow stoves that are now too expensive to make. It's a great sight at night with the wind howling outside. Oh wait a minute, that is where we came in. Do not compromise if you and your family feel that strongly.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 8:38 pm

badlegdave wrote:CNB; DCrane I recognized the Dutchwest stove to be wood and of thin Asian manufacture. :no1: I have no intensions of purchasing it. I do know a gentleman that has a Russo which he burns wood only in. I do not know if it is capable of coal however he has found it to be adequate for his application (similar heating size to mine) in regard to heat output and easy to operate.
You mention that Russo has been "adapted" to burn coal. That strikes a note of fear in me :eek2: because I do want to continue with wood since my six replacement joints are protesting to my continuing to split wood. I love to do it, but my boys have said "Dad, you are done splitting. :mad: We will handle it now". Nice, but they will be gone soon enough with there lives so I must adapt to coal or just go to the thermostat and wait for the PSE&G bill :down: to come. PP&L in PA. Budget? There is none. ;) What would $500 get me if I was able? Sound of a fan is not an issue presently.

Try this link to view a Russo burning coal.
What say you?

No more smiley faces, Just a moment of hysteria.
I see a stove that functions as a coal burner and I personally know these units are built strong... I also see wasted coal being burned. Russo was always a wood stove company and their minds were always wood burning minds... Frank used to come over a lot and ask dad questions a lot. anyways... the body of the stove is indeed the same body used for their previous wood stoves but ive burned these and ive seen these built... they work and they are built well! so if you can grab one for a price in your range don't feel uncomfortable about it.

badlegdave

Post by badlegdave » Tue. Oct. 15, 2013 9:46 am

Would anyone care to give me information on this stove out of a caboose?

What value would you assign to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161124317631?ru=http%3A%2 ... _25wt_1170

Copy and past address.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Oct. 15, 2013 10:37 am

The best caboose stove ever made as you can warm a pie in the oven and it's at its best warming that caboose and getting the guards lunch ready. Is that top really fume tight? You are getting way off course here.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Oct. 15, 2013 1:56 pm

PS it can be bolted to the floor so if the cabin starts to lurch into the lake the coffee pot on the top will spill but the stove and the pie in the oven will stay secure.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”