Hearth Measurement Requirements

shoman70
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds 1600
Coal Size/Type: nut coal

Post by shoman70 » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 7:37 am

hi, I am getting a ds 1600 free standing coal stove in a few days. the stove measures height is 35/14, width is 29, depth is 30 1/2 inches. the width of my hearth is fine, height is fine as well. I am concerned with the depth of stove. my hearth is 44 inches deep from back wall. not sure that is enough space in the front of the stove. this is the old stove in place in the picture. new ds 1600 stove is bigger of course.any thoughts would be great.

Attachments

photo.JPG 333.JPG
.JPG | 139.8KB | photo.JPG 333.JPG

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 7:41 am

the old rule of thumb is 18" from the front of stove to nearest combustible (your carpeting)... I never liked carpet around a stove (so you want to be extra careful here)

shoman70

Post by shoman70 » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 8:45 am

oh that's not good, 44 inches total space on hearth ( front to back) that would not be enough clearance since stove iss 30 1/2 deep. looks like I may not be getting this stove.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 9:31 am

shoman70 wrote:oh that's not good, 44 inches total space on hearth ( front to back) that would not be enough clearance since stove iss 30 1/2 deep. looks like I may not be getting this stove.
The Hitzer 50-93 is 21 inches deep. Still leaves only 5 inches in back.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 9:52 am

shoman70 wrote:oh that's not good, 44 inches total space on hearth ( front to back) that would not be enough clearance since stove iss 30 1/2 deep. looks like I may not be getting this stove.
How about rethinking your hearth pad for a more efficient & beautiful work of art that will not only save you tons of money in coal consumption over a DS machine (no pun intended) but will solve the clearance requirements but will also provide you that hopper you find so appealing (the cost is not much different in the end).

Solution...Antique BaseBurner with magazine! cost = $2,500, these stoves are made on the vertical (like coal stoves are supposed to be done) not the horizontal. they will out preform just about anything anyone will suggest, your hearth pad is ideal for one as it sits... start looking for one now and make some calls to local antique shops for one that's reconditioned well (plenty of people here can help you with this). If I had that hearth pad it would be a no-brainer to me!

shoman70

Post by shoman70 » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 9:58 am

i would't even know where to start looking for this type of stove. I am about 25 mins from allentown,pa. do you know where I would look for this type of stove?

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 10:22 am

I only new England area for these, but I assure you that their will be forum members here who can help you down their and worst case you can refer to our special super secret truck shipping thread to get one of these from anywhere in the country!
Lowest Cost Truck Freight Shipping in USA!

One of our members here called wsherrick knows many places, I will ask him to make a post in this thread with some names and numbers for you to start.

shoman70

Post by shoman70 » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 10:28 am

ok great, thank you, also looking for someone local to me maybe stop by to look at my set up..

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 12:07 pm

I seriously doubt the "out perform" concept & personally know that there are some good looking free standing stoves out here. YES, the Base-Burner is a glitzy, functional stove, but would not do well in my 250 yr old broken up farm house without making some serious, not really worth the aggravation, heat distribution designs--
dcrane wrote:
How about rethinking your hearth pad for a more efficient & beautiful work of art that will not only save you tons of money in coal consumption over a DS machine (no pun intended) but will solve the clearance requirements but will also provide you that hopper you find so appealing (the cost is not much different in the end).

Solution...Antique BaseBurner with magazine! cost = $2,500, these stoves are made on the vertical (like coal stoves are supposed to be done) not the horizontal. they will out preform just about anything anyone will suggest, your hearth pad is ideal for one as it sits... start looking for one now and make some calls to local antique shops for one that's reconditioned well (plenty of people here can help you with this). If I had that hearth pad it would be a no-brainer to me!

Attachments

IMG_0004.JPG
.JPG | 49.9KB | IMG_0004.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 1:47 pm

The depth of the base burners are much greater with the pipes or castings on the back. Could not have 18 inches in front.

I agree with Fred that the Hitzer 50-93 is the more practical stove.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Now cup both hands around your mouth like a pig call and in your best stadium echoing voice........Now... now...Pitching...pitching...For...for...The..the Glenwood...glenwood...Baseburners...burners..number 404...Doug...doug...Crane...crane.... :clap:
Couldn't resist dc :whistle: no one can say you are not passionate. Good point FF, yah beat me too it. I removed a hearth from my living room due to moving a hand feeder into my basement and now I have vigilant 2310 that I want to put in front of my fireplace so..........yup you guessed it I need to build another hearth pad. This one will be a different size because of my varied needs but changing a hearth is your simplest option compared to changing stoves. If clearances forced many a hand there wouldn't be any base burners left!

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 2:52 pm

[quote="freetown fred"]I seriously doubt the "out perform" concept & personally know that there are some good looking free standing stoves out here. YES, the Base-Burner is a glitzy, functional stove, but would not do well in my 250 yr old broken up farm house without making some serious, not really worth the aggravation, heat distribution designs--

its those damn gun towers Fred......Im tellin' ya...
.....they are hard to heat ! :lol:

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 3:01 pm

But it's gotta be done don'tcha know--it gets damn cold here on the hill and WINDYYYYYYYYYYYYYY--yeah buddy ;)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Damn, this is where I meant to pit this-- :bang: toothy Sounds like a real nice project ma--don't forget progress pix when ya get to it :)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 3:20 pm

michaelanthony wrote:Now cup both hands around your mouth like a pig call and in your best stadium echoing voice........Now... now...Pitching...pitching...For...for...The..the Glenwood...glenwood...Baseburners...burners..number 404...Doug...doug...Crane...crane.... :clap:
Couldn't resist dc :whistle: no one can say you are not passionate. Good point FF, yah beat me too it. I removed a hearth from my living room due to moving a hand feeder into my basement and now I have vigilant 2310 that I want to put in front of my fireplace so..........yup you guessed it I need to build another hearth pad. This one will be a different size because of my varied needs but changing a hearth is your simplest option compared to changing stoves. If clearances forced many a hand there wouldn't be any base burners left!
without me, what boring world it would be :woot: Somebody's got to keep things exciting around here :clap: a super large baseburner would come off the rear wall 28" or so, but im sure their are differant sizes that could accomidate. I know one thing for sure... if I was seriously going to spend anywhere near $2000.00 for a new stove... it would be totally restored antique baseburner (It increases in value, looks amazing and is more effecient than anything made today). But I know you guys don't mind buying, moving, hausing around 5 ton of coal per year to keep the football field fead (might as well just dump some bags of coal on a big square steel pad hearth, dose the pile in kero and light it up! (Gives great heat I know!) toothy

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”