Mid-Season Clean & Lube

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
Devil505
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Post Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 7:31 pm

I just did an unexpected, mid-season cleanout & re-start of my Harman TLC-2000. I figured it wouldn't hurt to lube the shaker mechanism by spraying with WD-40, but I don't expect it will help much with the heat evaporating it quickly. Can anyone recomend a good, heat resistant lubrication to use on shaker mechanisms?
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

CoalHeat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 8:45 pm

I've been using high temp wheel bearing grease on the accessible parts of the mechanism and the hinge pins. It lasts a little while, and smells up the house with the first fire.
Heating a circa 1832 farmhouse with a Harman Magnafire Mark I & a 1959 EFM 350 (heating DHW).
100% Oil Free!
"It's what we learn after we think we know it all that counts."

gambler
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Post Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Have you ever tried the spray on dry moly lube that they use for go-kart torque converter drives? It is designed to be used under high pressure, high heat applications. I suppose any moly lube would work.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

CoalHeat
Site Moderator

Post Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 9:22 pm

gambler wrote:Have you ever tried the spray on dry moly lube that they use for go-kart torque converter drives? It is designed to be used under high pressure, high heat applications. I suppose any moly lube would work.
Sounds like a good idea, thanks.
Heating a circa 1832 farmhouse with a Harman Magnafire Mark I & a 1959 EFM 350 (heating DHW).
100% Oil Free!

Visit Hitzer Stoves

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 3:26 pm

I have had my Mark II for 15 years. I have never lubricated the "internals" but have lubricated the hinge pins and the external shaker lever as well as the blower. Today, I took the grates out, replaced 4 fire bricks (that's all I have had to replace) and cleaned out the fire box. The only thing I noticed was the grates were warped about 1/64". Not bad for 15 years. I did replace the blower this season too so, I really have no complaints................and I bought this stove used. :dancing:
" A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" -- 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution....
IT AIN'T ABOUT HUNTING Two to the chest............one to the head. The Mozambique Drill :rambo3:

- John

Matthaus
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite

Post Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 4:26 pm

gambler wrote:Have you ever tried the spray on dry moly lube that they use for go-kart torque converter drives? It is designed to be used under high pressure, high heat applications. I suppose any moly lube would work.
Also you might try Loctite Silver Never Seize it's rated for 1600* F. I use it on the fasteners when I reassemble a stove and even after a year they come out like they just went in. :)
Matthaus
Leisure Line Stove Company
http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 6:07 pm

[/quote]Also you might try Loctite Silver Never Seize it's rated for 1600* F. I use it on the fasteners when I reassemble a stove and even after a year they come out like they just went in. :)[/quote]

Yes, that Never Seize is great stuff :)
" A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" -- 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution....
IT AIN'T ABOUT HUNTING Two to the chest............one to the head. The Mozambique Drill :rambo3:

- John

CoalHeat
Site Moderator

Post Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 6:12 pm

SuperBeetle wrote:
Also you might try Loctite Silver Never Seize it's rated for 1600* F. I use it on the fasteners when I reassemble a stove and even after a year they come out like they just went in. :)[/quote]

Yes, that Never Seize is great stuff :)[/quote]

I'll pick some up to use on the glass retaining bolts on the Alaska. As careful as I was I still snapped off the 4 lower bolts and had to drill and tap the holes.
100% Oil Free!

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Devil505
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Post Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 8:16 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
SuperBeetle wrote:
Also you might try Loctite Silver Never Seize it's rated for 1600* F. I use it on the fasteners when I reassemble a stove and even after a year they come out like they just went in. :)
Yes, that Never Seize is great stuff :)[/quote]

I'll pick some up to use on the glass retaining bolts on the Alaska. As careful as I was I still snapped off the 4 lower bolts and had to drill and tap the holes.[/quote]

Sounds like good stuff. Did a search online but can't find it??
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hearth model with twin turbos

Post Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 8:36 pm

Devil5052 wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote:Also you might try Loctite Silver Never Seize it's rated for 1600* F. I use it on the fasteners when I reassemble a stove and even after a year they come out like they just went in. :)
Yes, that Never Seize is great stuff :)
I'll pick some up to use on the glass retaining bolts on the Alaska. As careful as I was I still snapped off the 4 lower bolts and had to drill and tap the holes.[/quote]

Sounds like good stuff. Did a search online but can't find it??[/quote]

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_372112_so ... oogle.html
http://www.motosport.com/harley/productDetail.php ... ger-harley
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Anti-Seize-Silver-L ... B0006Q7H2W
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Any decent autoparts store will have never-seize in various sizes.

Greg L
Burning Pea/Buckwheat through an antique stoker [semi retired SSboiler],
Running an Axeman-Anderson 260M boiler burning Pea, About 150-250#per day
Farming, Fixing, Fabricating and Flying: 'spare time' what's that?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”