Advice on New Fire Bricks...

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
Davian
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Post Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 9:15 pm

http://www.ebcmarineandleisure.co.uk/morso-squirr ... o-squirrel

Does anyone here use vermiculite fire bricks like the ones in the link?

If so, upsides and downsides to them? I've heard they're a bit more fragile so that would be a concern as I burn both wood and coal in my Squirrel and I wouldn't want to crack them by jamming in a log.

Any advice would be appreciated.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Post Tue. Sep. 24, 2013 10:13 am

I never used them in brick form but I would guess they wouldn't hold up too well. For what we used it for was always behind the firebrick for added insulation & to fill voids. If coming from out of country I would make sure it's asbestos free as some places in the U.S. had high concentrations & can no longer be used, I sure wouldn't try cutting anything like that without a wet saw & mask.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn & complain & most fools do." Benjamin Franklin

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Davian
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Post Tue. Sep. 24, 2013 10:17 am

samhill wrote:I never used them in brick form but I would guess they wouldn't hold up too well. For what we used it for was always behind the firebrick for added insulation & to fill voids. If coming from out of country I would make sure it's asbestos free as some places in the U.S. had high concentrations & can no longer be used, I sure wouldn't try cutting anything like that without a wet saw & mask.
Thanks, samhill. From that and from other stuff I'm reading, I'm just going to pay a bit more and get regular firebricks for my stove.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”