How to Light a Hand Fired Coal Stove

Bigbird48

Post by Bigbird48 » Sat. Oct. 09, 2010 10:57 am

Well I never had a problem Lighting a stove, last winter stove was great no problems had a TLC 2000, Now I have a Harman Mark ll and I've had it going just fine , but last night and today it just doesn't want to get going good. I have what looks like a good burning bed of coals in the stove about 10 to 12 inches deep and there glowing nicly but not putting out a lot of heat so I opened the ash door been open all morning and it just won't take off and pump out heat. its 48 outside. I'm burning reading nut. I've tried getting the draft going by lighting some paper in the stove , I've checked to make sure the grates are open clean not plugged.
any Ideas. we have freeze warning for tonight.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Oct. 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Bigbird48 wrote:Well I never had a problem Lighting a stove, last winter stove was great no problems had a TLC 2000, Now I have a Harman Mark ll and I've had it going just fine , but last night and today it just doesn't want to get going good. I have what looks like a good burning bed of coals in the stove about 10 to 12 inches deep and there glowing nicly but not putting out a lot of heat so I opened the ash door been open all morning and it just won't take off and pump out heat. its 48 outside. I'm burning reading nut. I've tried getting the draft going by lighting some paper in the stove , I've checked to make sure the grates are open clean not plugged.
any Ideas. we have freeze warning for tonight.
You don't mention if you use an manual pipe damper or, better yet, a barometric damper. Additionally another good instrument is a manometer like the Dwyer model. If you've opened the ash door with a bed of burning coal that deep and no more heat is produced, it's most likely rushing right up the chimney. The manometer will show how strong a draft is pulling the combustion products/heat out of the stove and out of the house. Either damper style will regulate the draft rate and help keep the heat in the stove long enough to give it more time to radiate into the house.

Nice stoves Harmen makes :up:

Chuck_Steak
Coal Size/Type: mostly nut, sometimes stove, Santa brand

Post by Chuck_Steak » Sat. Oct. 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Bigbird48 wrote:... Now I have a Harman Mark ll and I've had it going just fine , but last night and today it just doesn't want to get going good. I have what looks like a good burning bed of coals in the stove about 10 to 12 inches deep and there glowing nicly but not putting out a lot of heat ......
Sounds like you are above the firebricks, if you have 10-12 inches of coal in there.
That's quite a load.
Are you SURE that it's shook down? That sounds pretty deep.
When you shake it, are you seeing quite a few glowing red coals drop into the pan, and
not just in one spot, but nearly the whole dimension of the ash pan?

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Sun. Oct. 10, 2010 11:47 am

I'm with Chuck_Steak. Shake it down good. You might also have a bridge of ash in there. Try poking from the top to see if it will fall in a little and break that bridge up and shake again. If that doesn't work then get some 1/8 inch or 3/16 round stock from your local hardware store or Home Depot. Make an L shape bend about about 3 or 4 inches long and rake between the grates from underneath. I think you'll be amazed about how much more ash falls into the pan.

I haven't started burning yet, but once I start I'm usually good till the end of the season and I poke and rake when needed or every 1 or 2 days.

dbjc364

Post by dbjc364 » Wed. Oct. 27, 2010 4:27 am

We have a Harman Mark 11. We lov this stove,its in our cellar.The triple wall chimney is in the center of the house.Most times we get a very good draft.When the stove acts up, and doesn't seem to be firing good,I think its because of the temps are just a bit too high outside,just on the verge so to speak.Last year was our first year of burning coal,and started out with only pea. Duh-discovered 3/4 of the way thru the season,that nut would be better.Now we're into using Stove coal size at night,mixing it with nut.Now, when I went to the store the other day, I bought all 3 sizes, and my "Bio bricks". They are just "compressed wood bricks",no wax or anything on them-running from $4.00-$7.00 a case.We use them,at the moment,we debate about how many to use to start a kindling fire,as this can get costly,but thats besides the point.We add/use small pieces of kindling,to establish a good wood fire first,to warm the flue,as stated in the manual.We read the whole manual.We get a good wood fire going,laying on the coal across the whole bed,but not too thick,and just keep layering it as each layer catches.Once we have started layering the coal,opening the draft a bit,so all catches on good.October seems to be a touchy month-with outdoor temps fluxcuating wildy.I just hate to have cold feet,so as the cellar cools down,I like to have the stove going,otherwise I would just lite the pellet stove in the living room.We alternate between buying the bagged coal from Agway here in town, to going to get it,an hours drive away,depending on money or the weather conditions.We're a long ways away from the "one match club",and don't really care.We both enjoy lighting the fire,and finding out whats works best.Of course,his best times are when he's got a beer with him, and can just sit and enjoy it, and de-stress from the world...

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 10:54 am

For the DS Machine Stove Basement #4...
I start with real wood charcoal, cowboy brand is in all the stores here...
Cover the grates about 3" deep I use a 10# bag...
Gell alcohol fire starter, not lighter fluid, and give it a good squirt...
Toss in a match open the ash door and close the top door but leave the overfire air open two spins...
It will start to spark real good when it is burning properly...
Think 4th of July...
I use a quart grain scoop and sprinkle one scoop on at this point...
When that catches I toss two more grain scoops across the grates...
At this point I close the ash door and set the bimetalic air knob to 3...
The coal should be red with nice blue flames everywhere...
Toss more 3 scoops across the grates wait for that to catch...
Now 6 scoops as I have a small layer of coal burning...
Keep it even across the grates...
wait for that to catch and the blue flames to return...
Now 12 scoops...
wait for that to catch and the blue flames to return...
at this point you should be half way up the bricks...
Load the coal in the back half to the top of the bricks...
wait 15 minutes...
Load the front half to the top of the bricks...
Keep the stove body above 300* but below 500* at this point by adjusting the bimetalic air knob...
Overfire air vents are still open two spins...
let the stove stabilize at 350*...
At this point I load coal thru the hopper lid...
A coal hod holds 20#...
I pour 1/2 a hod every 15 minutes till the hopper bottom is reached...
At that point just fill the hopper to the top...
Takes about 180# to this point...
Close the overfire air spinners then just open each one a crack...
Adjust the bimetalic air knob to keep the house at a comfortable temp...
Shake every 12 hours till you see some red coals drop into the ash pan...
Top off the hopper every time you shake keep it filled...
I use Pea Coal in the Spring and Fall because it will let me run the stove very cool...
With out killing the fire...

offcoursey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by offcoursey » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 7:11 am

Last Sunday was the second time I ever lit a coal stove...first time alone. I had unburned coal in the stove from the first week I burned, so I pushed it to the outside edges of the stove. I dug down to the grates... made a pile of news paper and pine boards from a dumpster at a cabinet company and lit them with my propane torch. Ah...fire... then start adding coal as the wood burned down. Stove has been going all week. I have been keeping it at 350-400 with stack temps between 100-200. The baro damper is set at .05 and doing it's dance about 50% of the time. I have also learned there are times that you need to leave it alone...fight the need to touch it... stop playing with it and let it work. I will have to boost up the stove temps in the coming weeks to see how it goes. The house has been staying between 69 and 73. We would normally keep the house at 64 all winter to save $$ on oil (I used 800 gallons last year in a 5 year old boiler). The warmer temps are VERY nice. Still learning but all is going better then expected. My kids enjoy melting wax to make candles on the stove top they make good gifts and it makes the house smell nice.

budster

Post by budster » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 8:28 am

My kids enjoy melting wax to make candles on the stove top they make good gifts and it makes the house smell nice.
..I'd be real careful with that..

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 9:59 am

budster wrote:
My kids enjoy melting wax to make candles on the stove top they make good gifts and it makes the house smell nice.
..I'd be real careful with that..
Because?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 11:34 am

Yup,I want to hear that --because-- myself---how come?? o.c.--do they have any old molds??
reckebecca wrote:
budster wrote: ..I'd be real careful with that..
Because?

offcoursey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by offcoursey » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 12:09 pm

My in-laws used to make candles all the time on their coal stove. They gave us the supplies they used to use. We have a metal pitcher that we throw old candles in with some new wax then some additional scented candle oil. The wax taxes a few hours to melt on a grate I made for the top of the stove. We get mason jars or used candle jars, hot glue a wick to the bottom or the jar, and fill with hot wax. Wax is not hot enough to burn you and if you leave the pitcher on the stove too long, it make the house smell too strong of whichever 'flavor' you melting. It doesnt burn.

budster

Post by budster » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 2:02 pm

..just me being nervous I guess..kids around a hot stove makes me nervous..I don't have any by the way..but it sounds like you have it well under control..carry on..

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 2:57 pm

budster wrote:..just me being nervous I guess..kids around a hot stove makes me nervous..I don't have any by the way..but it sounds like you have it well under control..carry on..
That worry makes sense! I was thinking you were cautioning against melting wax on the stove & couldn't figure out why you were warning against that.

budster

Post by budster » Thu. Nov. 11, 2010 7:58 pm

..somebody posted about where to buy coal in Quarryville Pa. the other day..can't remember which thread or who it was..I know I shoulda bookmarked it, but if whoever posted it sees this.......would ya please point me to that post..sorry, :oops: and thanks..

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Nov. 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Reese's at RT 372 & Church Road is one place to get coal in Quarryville.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”