How to Light a Hand Fired Coal Stove

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 6:27 pm

I have a buildup around it already from the past 2 hours of atempting to get it lite. Should I just leave it where it is? Its about 2 or 3" deep
GIBRALTAR SCR

Visit Hitzer Stoves

zeeklu
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun. Jun. 08, 2008 5:26 am

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 6:45 pm

It's best to fill the fire box full. Coal likes a deep bed. Chris

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 6:49 pm

zeeklu wrote:It's best to fill the fire box full. Coal likes a deep bed. Chris


But should I let it spread sideways before I keep adding to the top?
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
Razzler
Member
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 7:56 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice
Location: Northampton Pa.

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 6:56 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:I have a buildup around it already from the past 2 hours of atempting to get it lite. Should I just leave it where it is? Its about 2 or 3" deep


Thats fine just leave that where it is just keep up the good work on building on the fire.

zeeklu wrote:It's best to fill the fire box full. Coal likes a deep bed. Chris


Once you have a well established fire then you can throw 20lb or so on at one time with no problems but he is just stating to build it up.

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:00 pm

Its spreading on its own real nice now! My heat reclaimer even kicked on.
GIBRALTAR SCR

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:01 pm

My glass is coated with something that doesnt want to come off. It came off in little areas with a paper towel.. what can I do?
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
Devil505
Member
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue. Jul. 03, 2007 10:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000
Location: SE Massachusetts

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:08 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:My glass is coated with something that doesnt want to come off. It came off in little areas with a paper towel.. what can I do?


Leave the glass for now..... but fill your stove up completely!! (You don't have to wait for the sides to catch....Just keep adding coal to the whole firebed until you are at the top of the firebrick with the ash door open. When the stove is completely full, wait for the temp to rise to where you want it & then close the ash door with your air control about 1/2 way open. Then check the temp in about 30 minutes to adjust the air controls for the night. Top it off with fresh coal b4 you goto bed tonight.

Edit: Check with us tomorrow morning for you first very light shake down & refill. (the fire you just built should last the whole winter for you!!!....We'll help you keep it going....The hard part is over!!) :clap: :devil:
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Devil505 wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:My glass is coated with something that doesnt want to come off. It came off in little areas with a paper towel.. what can I do?


Leave the glass for now..... but fill your stove up completely!! (You don't have to wait for the sides to catch....Just keep adding coal to the whole firebed until you are at the top of the firebrick with the ash door open. When the stove is completely full, wait for the temp to rise to where you want it & then close the ash door with your air control about 1/2 way open. Then check the temp in about 30 minutes to adjust the air controls for the night. Top it off with fresh coal b4 you goto bed tonight.

Edit: Check with us tomorrow morning for you first very light shake down & refill. (the fire you just built should last the whole winter for you!!!....We'll help you keep it going....The hard part is over!!) :clap: :devil:


Ok. I just put the banking plate in. BUT im scared to add that much coal all at once. It wont smother?
GIBRALTAR SCR

Visit Hitzer Stoves

User avatar
Devil505
Member
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue. Jul. 03, 2007 10:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000
Location: SE Massachusetts

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:20 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:BUT im scared to add that much coal all at once. It wont smother?


As long as you leave a section still flaming well, you can dump as much as you want on the other part. Divide you coal bed in 1/2. Fill 1/2 full while leaving the other side untouched & flaming. When flames come out on the side you filled, you can level off the whole thing. Leave the ash door oopen until both sides are filled to the top & the temp has climbed to where you want it. Only then close the ash door .....with the air controls about 1/2 way open to start.You're doing great!
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:26 pm

Cool. This is Exciting!

When can expect some serious HEAT to start building?
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
Devil505
Member
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue. Jul. 03, 2007 10:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000
Location: SE Massachusetts

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:27 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Cool. This is Exciting!

When can expect some serious HEAT to start building?


With the ash door fully open I'll bet 10-15 minutes!

What stove are you burning?
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:36 pm

I have a GIBRALTAR SCR

I have some blue flames coming up now!
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
Devil505
Member
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue. Jul. 03, 2007 10:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000
Location: SE Massachusetts

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:44 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:I have some blue flames coming up now!


If the blue flames are coming from the side you filled b4, then go ahead & fill the other side too. Leave the ash door open until the whole stove is full & flaming & at the temp you want. (Somewhere between 200*-300* should be good, depending on your house's needs for warmth.
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:53 pm

Its flaming in the middle. When I filled it up more I dug a little out of the center. I don't have a themo. so I am not sure of my temps. I do know the heat reclaimer is supposed to click on at a certain temp. But it didnt say what the temp was in the inst.

Supposed to drop to about 12 degrees here tonight!! I picked a good day to finish this project.
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
Razzler
Member
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 7:56 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice
Location: Northampton Pa.

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:56 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:When can expect some serious HEAT to start building?

Right now your sending a lot of your heat up the chimney with the ash door open. After you close it and set your damper to 1/2 way as Devil said you'll start to feel the heat better. Just remeber coal is slow to react so when you change the damper you have to give it 30 or 40 min to see the difference.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Post Reply

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”