How to Light a Hand Fired Coal Stove

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 3:46 pm

I think I smothered it.
GIBRALTAR SCR

Visit Hitzer Stoves

User avatar
JLF53
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 4:58 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono
Location: Hunterdon County New Jersey

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 4:07 pm

Spent the entire day yesterday fiddling with this stove what agony! Took Devil 505's advice and made a right angle wire for cleaning the grates. Since I did not shake it down sufficiently in the AM yesterday the fire was low and wanting to go out. I had one half good and the left side was dead. So I took the shovel from my fireplace tool set and dug out the dead side and threw it on top of the good side. Then I pushed live red hot coals from the burning bed on top of the empty side. Redistributed the unburned coal and got the stupid thing running. today my only challenge is keeping the bottom slide in a position so that I do not over fire. It is windy.

Devil 505 thank you for the "flossing" tool design and technique.!! :) :) :)
Last edited by JLF53 on Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JLF53
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 4:58 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono
Location: Hunterdon County New Jersey

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 4:13 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Help! I have been trying to get my stove burning coal for the last hour. I started up with some kindling, cardboard and paper. I had a little fire and kept feeding it paper and then added some coal. Maybe about 2 handfulls. It sort of crackled a little after a few min but never lit. I keep adding kindling and get it going with newspaper but the coal still isnt lighting... any thoughts?
I have the bottom ash door open.
Madman,

I spent four attempts last week getting my stove fired up. the most successful attempt, and it is still burning, was achieved by following Devil505's instructions. I started it with two pieces of newspaper rolled up tight, then cedar shims broken in half length and width (so in quarters), then dried oak quarter splints. Add a little coal at a time. It needs to light and be burning with flame prior to adding more coal. It took me 3 hours to fill my stove. You may need to sit in front of it and open the ash door at times to get it burning good. Best of luck. I am still learning.
Last edited by JLF53 on Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 4:15 pm

How much wood needs to be burning before the coal will start to ignite?
GIBRALTAR SCR

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 4:53 pm

Ok. I have a glowing red bunch of coal now. How long do I leave it before I put more on top of it?
My ash try is pretty full from all the cardboard, paper and wood. Should I clean that out now? is it restricting air?
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
JLF53
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 4:58 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono
Location: Hunterdon County New Jersey

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:01 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:How much wood needs to be burning before the coal will start to ignite?
I used about 4 shingles and gradually put on 3 splits one at a time. When the fire is raging then start to add coal. a little at a time. I purchased chesnut size coal from a bulk supplier. Unfortunately it came in sizes ranging from stove size to pea. I picked out the pea size and add a coffee can's worth (dumping the contents of the coffee can in the middle of the fire when it lit and was burning the blue flame with some red and yellow streaks I added another coffee can's worth to the center ad=gain. I waited about 10 to 15 minutes. After another 10 minutes it was burning well and I sprinkled the small size chips of coal around the burning coal. I continued to add coal around the fire dispersed over the grates o(where the was either coal fire or wood fire) gradually building a bed of hot coals. I have fireplace tools that include a shovel, tongs poker and brush. All come in handy, bought them at a yard sale.

Sometimes you need to poke the col to stoke it. Once the coal is burning you willl need to open your bottom vent. I tried to manage the fire by opening the ash pan door to different levels depending on the burn rate of the coal.

Hope that this helps. I have PM's you.

What type of stove do you have?
Last edited by JLF53 on Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Its a Gilbrator SRC
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
JLF53
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 4:58 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono
Location: Hunterdon County New Jersey

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:05 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Its a Gilbrator SRC
I do not know anything abut this model, but perhaps you should list it by your info so others in this forum who have your type of stove may have info that is better than mine. I do not know that much, still a novice, but am willing to share to help others. So many in this forum have been kind, patient and generous to me in my learning trial by fire.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:15 pm

I tried to spread the coals around a little but it seems like they went out! they were orange but as soon as I spread them they stopped glowing.
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
Devil505
Member
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue. Jul. 03, 2007 10:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000
Location: SE Massachusetts

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:35 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:I tried to spread the coals around a little but it seems like they went out! they were orange but as soon as I spread them they stopped glowing.
Don't disturb the coal when you are lighting the fire & filling your firebox. Just give it plenty of air (with the ash door) & keeping adding layers until the stove is full.
If you follow my lighting technique (1st post on 1st page of this thread) it will work.
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

User avatar
JLF53
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 4:58 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono
Location: Hunterdon County New Jersey

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:41 pm

JLF53 wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:How much wood needs to be burning before the coal will start to ignite?
I used about 4 shingles and gradually put on 3 splits one at a time. When the fire is raging then start to add coal. a little at a time. I purchased chesnut size coal from a bulk supplier. Unfortunately it came in sizes ranging from stove size to pea. I picked out the pea size and add a coffee can's worth (dumping the contents of the coffee can in the middle of the fire when it lit and was burning the blue flame with some red and yellow streaks I added another coffee can's worth to the center ad=gain. I waited about 10 to 15 minutes. After another 10 minutes it was burning well and I sprinkled the small size chips of coal around the burning coal. I continued to add coal around the fire dispersed over the grates o(where the was either coal fire or wood fire) gradually building a bed of hot coals. I have fireplace tools that include a shovel, tongs poker and brush. All come in handy, bought them at a yard sale.

Sometimes you need to poke the coal to stoke it, when you have a good bed of coals and fir going. Once the coal is burning you willl need to open your bottom vent. I tried to manage the fire by opening the ash pan door to different levels depending on the burn rate of the coal.

Hope that this helps. I have PM's you.

What type of stove do you have?

User avatar
Razzler
Member
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 7:56 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice
Location: Northampton Pa.

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Midnight, You can't fiddle or rake it around untill you have a good full hot fire(the hole fire box filled and glowing red). If you rake a little pile of 10lbs of burning coal it will go out. Get the coal to start burning then add 2 or 3 shovels WAIT this may take 20 to 30 min for that new coal to be glowing. DON'T RAKE! Then 2 or 3 more shovels WAIT for that coal to glow! As the fire gets bigger the more shovels you can put on it at a time. Keep your ash door open the hole time. Be sure NOT to leave the room with the ash door open. You MUST allways keep an eye on it when the door is open. Just keep doing that untill the fire box is full with burning coal. Three rules apply patients, patients and more patients... ;)

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Razzler wrote:Midnight, You can't fiddle or rake it around untill you have a good full hot fire(the hole fire box filled and glowing red). If you rake a little pile of 10lbs of burning coal it will go out. Get the coal to start burning then add 2 or 3 shovels WAIT this may take 20 to 30 min for that new coal to be glowing. DON'T RAKE! Then 2 or 3 more shovels WAIT for that coal to glow! As the fire gets bigger the more shovels you can put on it at a time. Keep your ash door open the hole time. Be sure NOT to leave the room with the ash door open. You MUST allways keep an eye on it when the door is open. Just keep doing that untill the fire box is full with burning coal. Three rules apply patients, patients and more patients... ;)
Ok.
GIBRALTAR SCR

MidnightMadman
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: GIBRALTAR
Stove/Furnace Model: SCR
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Huston we have ignition.

Now, I only have a patch about 6"x4" of glowing coal. I am sprinkling more over it every 10 or so min. Will it eventually grow the whole size of the firebox?
GIBRALTAR SCR

User avatar
Devil505
Member
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue. Jul. 03, 2007 10:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000
Location: SE Massachusetts

Post Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 6:22 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Huston we have ignition.

Now, I only have a patch about 6"x4" of glowing coal. I am sprinkling more over it every 10 or so min. Will it eventually grow the whole size of the firebox?
Yup...Don't touch the patch but keep adding layers to it until each layer catches. If you feel brave, you can dump a bunch of coal all around the patch & that coal will eventually catch too! (coal burns sideways, just fine) just don't smother your little patch but keep building on it & keep adding coal around it. (The coal around the patch may take overnight to catch so don't worry about it)
This will probably take you a while tonight because it's new to you. Once you're confidant you'll be able to clean out your stove & totally refill it in less than an hour!
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Post Reply

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”