How to Light a Hand Fired Coal Stove

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:03 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Its flaming in the middle. When I filled it up more I dug a little out of the center. I don't have a themo. so I am not sure of my temps.
NO DIGGING!!! :lol:

Seriously...don't touch the firebed!!...Just add coal til it's filled! (You need a thermometer...Can't run a coal stove without one...That's like trying to drive a car with your eyes closed!)

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:04 pm

How about that plate that goes across the top inside? The guy I bought it from said he used it and it kept the heat from escaping. Its in there now.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Devil505 wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:Its flaming in the middle. When I filled it up more I dug a little out of the center. I don't have a themo. so I am not sure of my temps.
NO DIGGING!!! :lol:

Seriously...don't touch the firebed!!...Just add coal til it's filled! (You need a thermometer...Can't run a coal stove without one...That's like trying to drive a car with your eyes closed!)
Ok. So where does the thermo. go? And what will I be looking for when I hook it up?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:07 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:How about that plate that goes across the top inside? The guy I bought it from said he used it and it kept the heat from escaping. Its in there now.
Keep it there for the rest of the winter. (I think you just remove it to get a good draft going....then replace it to retain heat like the original owner said.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Devil505 wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:How about that plate that goes across the top inside? The guy I bought it from said he used it and it kept the heat from escaping. Its in there now.
Keep it there for the rest of the winter. (I think you just remove it to get a good draft going....then replace it to retain heat like the original owner said.
OK. I bet I should have removed it when I was struggling to get the thing going?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:09 pm

You can get a magnetic stick-on thermometer and put it on the flue about 12-18" above the stove, or buy a probe type thermometer, and put it through a small hole in the flue pipe, again, about 12-18" above the stove.

Greg L

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:10 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:
Devil505 wrote: NO DIGGING!!! :lol:

Ok. So where does the thermo. go? And what will I be looking for when I hook it up?
Just get a magnetic stick on one at Home Depot or Lowes & stick it anywhere on your stope pipe.

Attachments

media.nl.jpg
.JPG | 12.6KB | media.nl.jpg

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:21 pm

Hey guys! My smoke detectors are all going off down here where the stove is. I smell a little burning smell from maybe the paint, but how can I be sure its no carbon monox.???

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:27 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Hey guys! My smoke detectors are all going off down here where the stove is. I smell a little burning smell from maybe the paint, but how can I be sure its no carbon monox.???
Its smoke! The stove is SUPER hot right now. I can see blue smoke. It smells like something is burning on the pipe or that heat relaminer????? Its hard to tell where it is coming from.

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:35 pm

a fresh paint job will do that open some windows for a bit. Your getting it heated up now!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:36 pm

You are just 'curing the paint' , the smell and smoke will dissapate in a little while,, open a window or two,, to clear the air.

Greg L

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:37 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:Hey guys! My smoke detectors are all going off down here where the stove is. I smell a little burning smell from maybe the paint, but how can I be sure its no carbon monox.???
Its smoke! The stove is SUPER hot right now. I can see blue smoke. It smells like something is burning on the pipe or that heat relaminer????? Its hard to tell where it is coming from.
Close the ash door but leave the air controls open about 1/2 way. If it's a new stove & or pipes it's probably just the stove burning in. You NEED a themometer & Carbon Monoxide detectors!

Did you get the stove full?

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:38 pm

Alright. I opened the windows and the garage door and got fresh air in here. I think it was the heat reclaimer. It read in the instr. that they say they may give off smoke the first few times from the paint!
The stove was super hot and everything was probably too hot! I had the ash door open. I closed it and moved the slots to about 1/2 way. It calmed down a little and stopped smoking. I just have to make sure thats what it was.

I do have Carbon Monoxide detectors, but they are built into the house and its a smoke combo... so no way to know which is going off!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:41 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:I do have Carbon Monoxide detectors, but they are built into the house and its a smoke combo... so no way to know which is going off!
You need to go out tomorrow & buy a stove themometer & at least one carbon monoxide detector with a digital number readout.
Did you get the stove filled with coal?

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Yes it is filled and burning. I will get the items tomorrow.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”