How to Light a Hand Fired Coal Stove

BDHodosn

Post by BDHodosn » Sun. Feb. 08, 2009 10:45 am

wnyjim wrote:This works every time. Saves time too especially when you need to get things going. Harbor freight..around $20 bucks.
That's how I light the wood. Only mines just a soldering torch. My father-in-law uses a weed burner for his BBQ rig.

9mmruger

Post by 9mmruger » Sat. Feb. 21, 2009 7:53 am

I want to thank you all for this thread, it contains a wealth of information. I will be getting my new coal burner sometime in the spring and am very happy to have found this site. Thanks again.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Apr. 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Starting the Stanley Argand-Video Just click on the link to the left to watch.

I decided to move these videos over to this thread. I probably should have posted them here anyway. Any questions, feel free to ask. If I can't assist you there are many helping hands here with friendly advice. So ask away, even though it is presently Springtime right now.

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Fri. Oct. 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Bump! time for starting the fire.... :shock: :D

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Oct. 11, 2009 10:08 am

Razzler wrote:Bump! time for starting the fire.... :shock: :D
Don't forget a 6 pack!!! :P

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sun. Oct. 11, 2009 5:32 pm

I lit mine 2 weeks ago and haven't shut it down yet..getting snow this week here.

:P

truckrp97

Post by truckrp97 » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 7:10 pm

i use map gas with the long hose tip, I use my fireplace shovel, stick it in the middle of my coal pile, put the nozzle from the map gas under neath the shovel and in ten min. I got a pile started,

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Bottle of whiskey moves things along just a bit quicker! :woot:

I'm just thinking out loud : WOW this thread is still going! Like the Energizer bunny ...... after a trip to C O L U M B I A ... :eek2: :woot:

I figured I'd toss in my 2 fifths worth .... I musta missed this one back in '08! :lol:

I put one layer of charcoal ... nothin' fancy ... just Kingsford ... the company that Henry Ford spawned .... & douse it with lighter fluid. I use quite a bit, because I hate doing it twice ... & it will always burn if you over do it. ;) Light the charcoal in the 4 corners of the stove, then one in the middle (that's my method .... any flame position will do :D ), then open/close the ash door so as to keep the fire under control -- if you leave it wide open, you'll have flames all the way out the pipe into the chimney. Once the charcoal seems to be burning well -- some whitish coloring on the edges which turns red when I open the ash door wide -- I shovel on a layer of coal ....... wait till that catches, then another .. and another ...... Wait .. I was talking about whiskey .... where the hell am I ????? :confused:

Oh yeah .... when those HOT blue ladies start dancin' away, fill it to the brim ...... and when you think you can't fit any more (handfired) toss in another couple shovelfulls .....

& enjoy the warmth! :cheers: :band:

cybdav

Post by cybdav » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 9:20 pm

Same method I use Smitty except I use Matchlight. After the initial 3 week frustrating learning period I have had a good fire going for over a month and a half now.

17 miles southeast of the Jack Daniel Distillery in Lynchburg is Prichards distillery in Kelso TN. Good whisky and some of the best Rum's in the world.

http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/

This the liquor forum, right? :drunk:

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 9:39 pm

LOL!

You are one lucky son of a gun! You are dead-center in the promised land of distilleries!! :up: :punk:

ROAD TRIP!!!! :woot:

uffbros

Post by uffbros » Sat. Jan. 16, 2010 7:51 am

This is my first season with a hand fed coal stove. I have the Harman Mark II Stove. I use what has been told to me by many as the best hard coal there is called Blaschak. I use the Pea size. My biggest problem is maintaining a fire while I am at work. It is 9 hours from time I leave till I return. Dealer said I should get a min of 12 hours. When I come home it is either too low to get it going again or has just a little red and a lot of burnt coal to the sides. Not sure if it is all ash or if it is unburnt coal as it is gray shale in color. I know I have excellent draft as it roars when I can be home and attend to it. In fact usually it is too hot(87) in my place when I fire it up. My dealer said I have my draft knob that is on the ash door open too much and then showed me it should be only turned like 1.5 turns from closed. I think I tried this once and fire went out as probably too low but then I think maybe I banked the fire too early before having a hot enough fire. He says hard coal needs very little draft. I am tired of rebuilding and about ready to sell the thing. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Jan. 16, 2010 7:58 am

Wow .. how hammered was I during those last 2 posts! I don't even remember posting! :confused: :funny:

Anyway .... uffbros, you should start another thread with your question so it gets seen. It's sort of hidden here .... & this one is just for tips on how to light her up. You'll get a better response. :)

uffbros

Post by uffbros » Sat. Jan. 16, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks.

coal cracker SE

Post by coal cracker SE » Sat. Jan. 23, 2010 12:05 am

thanks for all this info.. guess he's going to use a log starter haha, hopefully our house doesn't fill up with smoke anymore.... :shock:

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sat. Jan. 23, 2010 12:07 am

coal cracker SE wrote:haha.. we cannot get ours going correctly, he is giving up and just turning it into a pure wood stove apparently.. :shock:
what's the problem??? ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”