Stove Moves While Shaking Down

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
steel head
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon mark 3
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Electric

Post Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi all new to site. Been burning for going on 4years now. Wish I I found your site when I started burning would have saved me a lot of cursing and scratching my head that first year :cry: but any way came along way since then. Live in a ranch (2009) 26x 58 . 26x24 is garage, 26x34 is unfinished basement where my stove is located with a regular chiminey 8x8 flue. I just have basement door left open all winter and heat rises up. Ok just wanted to give a little info. Have concrete floor where stove is placed, stove rocks just a little when shaking like I said just a little but enough stove will walk a little I think from house and everything settling.Last year I put some cinder block behind stove helped some but I'd rather something else is there anything to put under legs of stove to help it not slide around. I really don't want to install hearth pad on a good concrete floor. The legs on stove seem fine the floor probably just a little un even thanks. My stove was also purchased new hand fed mark III harman

Visit Hitzer Stoves

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Use some steel washers as shims to stop rocking. Bottom heat shield would help to stop heating floor.

steel head

Post Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 3:39 pm

a heat shield? what like a piece of sheet metal ?? tried a piece of stove pipe I cut but still moved a little. I even tried moving out a little. but its either the floor or legs . legs came assembled and they seem tight .

nortcan
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Post Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi Steel Head and welcome to the forum.
You could try to put 4 discs from cloth sanding, placing the abrasive side on the floor.
Did you try to shake with less agressivity (not shure of this word :oops) ?

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 6:35 pm

do you have any holes in the bottom legs to drill and screw to the floor and welcome

Wanna Bee
Stove/Furnace Make: Grander Stove Co.
Stove/Furnace Model: Royal Bride
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 7:05 pm

You could use a small steel shim to stop the rocking. I have one under a leg on my stove, was there when I moved in so I couldn't tell you where to get one.

Always could try using a hammer handle stake. I don't know if that's what it's called but they are steel shims used to secure wooden hammer handles.
James,

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 7:39 pm

don't all stoves have solid welded adjustable feet and built in double baffle heat plates?
P1010004.JPG
:dancing:

In all seriousness... steel shims or almost anything tapped with a hammer & screwdriver under the feet should do the trick (if your moving the stove from this than your probably shacking to aggressively for some reason)?

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 8:19 pm

X3 metal washers is easy solution
Randy
If you have time to make a post looking for free advice, then show some appreciation and say thank you.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

nortcan

Post Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 9:14 am

All the shimming solutions are good IF the 4 legs are not at the same height on the floor. But if at the same height and on a slippery floor, non-slippery spacer/s is/are needed.
More détails and a few photos could help :roll:

steel head

Post Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 9:20 am

I will try to figure out how to attatch pics. I have to run out now. will try later :)

nortcan

Post Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 9:55 am

steel head wrote:I will try to figure out how to attatch pics. I have to run out now. will try later :)
Super we love photos :)

MudFlapLip
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. Machine Stoves, DS1600WH Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 11:07 am

dcrane wrote:don't all stoves have solid welded adjustable feet and built in double baffle heat plates?
P1010004.JPG
:dancing:

In all seriousness... steel shims or almost anything tapped with a hammer & screwdriver under the feet should do the trick (if your moving the stove from this than your probably shacking to aggressively for some reason)?
Agreed as mentioned above. I had a Mark II prior to the DS. Both stoves 'wobble' at the legs but are installed similar to yours on a concrete floor. I used a quarter with a penny on top and tapped them both under one of the rear legs with a hammer and walla, problem solved. As dcrane said you may be shaking too aggressively in order to make the stove 'walk'.

steel head

Post Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 1:57 pm

stove
Attachments
IMG_20130912_130242_107.jpg
one picture

steel head

Post Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 2:01 pm

stove pic #2
Attachments
IMG_20130912_130316_647.jpg

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post Sat. Sep. 14, 2013 8:21 am

I have basically the same set up as yours, stove on bare basement floor, Steel washers does the job perfectly. If I'm not mistaken the poster above mentioned a heat shield, not so much for leveling but for reducing the bare concrete floors ability to become a heat sink. We are both losing a lot of heat heating the concrete up and it is not necessary. You would think with me knowing this that I would have done it already during the summer but no. :(
Bruce

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”