New Old Crane 404 Stove

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Looks real good AD-- You're ready for an enjoyable coal burning season my friend:)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Very nice instal.
Maybe too friend with F.Fred but also wondering about the long back pipe and the MPD on it? Ash dust loves much more horizontal pipes than vertical ones...specially when having a MPD in it :( and that doesn't help for a better chimney's draft.
Anyways your always the boss :D

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 6:57 pm

looks great, Im still traumatized by the sheer size of your flippin basement :eek2: If that's a Z shape basement it must be ONE HECK OF A BIG Z!

get some newpaper, some hardwood scrapes, blocks, sticks and such... open the damper load the paper and sticks in top door, you can bunch some paper in the ashpan too if you wish, stuff some newspaper behind the removable baffle open bottom door, light the paper in the flu pipe first and close top door (wait until you start hearing the draft...it will sound like freight train)... then light paper in ash pan leave top door closed and bottom door open, add some wood when its ready and get a nice bed of red hot wood coals... once that done... sprinkle some coal across them (a shovel full).... keep that bottom door open and top closed.... wait.... add lil more coal.... wait.... add lil more and now once you know the coal caught your good to go and you can then fill her up (leave a lil' space in one of the corners to keep a slight hint of red coals exposed). close bottom door, play with adjustments and get a feel for it (remember it takes coal a long time to adjust), you will also play with damper until you learn your draft, etc. When you open the top door... do it slow!!! people sometimes forget that (reason being... you don't want the draft of the door opening to win against the draft of the flu because for that split second it allows sulfur smell into house.

OK, get some coal and have some fun!!! after the fun and the learning you can always change your MPD and do some more fancy things with reflectors and fans and all kinds of more exotic things! right now.... go have fun! you did GOOD!

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Nice job. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing. Matt

ASHDUMP

Post by ASHDUMP » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this install. I do agree the horizontal pipe looks a little odd and/or the pipe damper would better be served on the vertical pipe. Although I believe the placement of the stove itself will serve my application and expectations (hopefully) as intended.

I would be buying coal in bags - before I commit for a full ton, how many bags per day would I be using? *Full disclosure - I understand there are many variables that go into coal consumption. Lets just say if the stove was running a constant 500 degrees 24/7. I'm just trying to gauge how many (approx) bags I would be using per day. Since the stove is in the basement I would want to run this full throttle in the dead of winter.

The burn pot looks like it can hold 1/3 to 1/2 bag? Figure 1 bag per 24hrs? .66 bags per 24hrs?

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 9:34 pm

For my set up I'm going to figure 2-3 40# bags per day when it gets real cold out. Suppose to be low to mid forties tonight right now I have a 50-60 lbs. in the stove should last till the wife wakes up in the morning. Still experimenting. Most people probably think its still to warm, but I rather learn my stove, chimney now than when it's zero degrees out. Matt

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Soon ya start that learnin curve my friend:) My HITZER goes through no more then 40 - 50 lbs max. in 24 hrs in the coldest of weather. Each stove & setting has it's own lil combination. You're gonna get real personal with those vent knobs. ;) You going with nut?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 10:21 pm

If you decide to change your stove pipe, you could use two 45 degree pipes and run it at a good angle to the wall instead of the horizontal run. I would brace up the horizontal run a little so it doesnt sag without you noticing. Any type of steel rod from the floor to the pipe would work. Sure looks nice though.

ASHDUMP

Post by ASHDUMP » Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 7:41 am

freetown fred wrote:Soon ya start that learnin curve my friend:) My HITZER goes through no more then 40 - 50 lbs max. in 24 hrs in the coldest of weather. Each stove & setting has it's own lil combination. You're gonna get real personal with those vent knobs. ;) You going with nut?
Yeah, I will be using "nut" as recommended by Doug. ....or are you asking me if I'm going nuts? Ha :!:

My burn pot looks like it could hold maybe half a 40lb bag... I don't think coal around my parts goes extinct during the winter... Like wood pellets does every now and again. I used to burn 3 to 4 tons of pellets about 5 years ago and it was a PITA to find them if you ran out.

ASHDUMP

Post by ASHDUMP » Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 7:46 am

DePippo79 wrote:For my set up I'm going to figure 2-3 40# bags per day when it gets real cold out. Suppose to be low to mid forties tonight right now I have a 50-60 lbs. in the stove should last till the wife wakes up in the morning. Still experimenting. Most people probably think its still to warm, but I rather learn my stove, chimney now than when it's zero degrees out. Matt
I think I might start with 1/2 ton of coal and see how it goes.... This is a secondary heat source for me so only time will tell how well it works for my setup.

ASHDUMP

Post by ASHDUMP » Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 7:49 am

warminmn wrote:If you decide to change your stove pipe, you could use two 45 degree pipes and run it at a good angle to the wall instead of the horizontal run. I would brace up the horizontal run a little so it doesnt sag without you noticing. Any type of steel rod from the floor to the pipe would work. Sure looks nice though.
I thought about coming off the stove with a 45d then straight pipe to another 45d into the flue. The only down side is the damper would be on a 45d angle too but that probably doesn't matter.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 8:25 am

ASHDUMP wrote:
warminmn wrote:If you decide to change your stove pipe, you could use two 45 degree pipes and run it at a good angle to the wall instead of the horizontal run. I would brace up the horizontal run a little so it doesnt sag without you noticing. Any type of steel rod from the floor to the pipe would work. Sure looks nice though.
I thought about coming off the stove with a 45d then straight pipe to another 45d into the flue. The only down side is the damper would be on a 45d angle too but that probably doesn't matter.
It does not matter, the rational for the pipe not to flow so long horizontally (or at all horizontally) is for drafting and the rational for the damper on a more vertical is for less build up of fly ash. I personally like the damper nearer the stove on a 404 (but you will get varying opinion's on this). It is better to not be so horizontal and so long with that pipe (but again... you can make these changes anytime). The other poster did have a good idea about a support arm in the middle of horizontal run (especially if you have multiple sections making up that run) of course im sure you have all sections screwed together with 4 or 5 screws?

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 11:28 am

Nice looking set up! If you are not happy with the draft you can always try the 1 ft. pipe with the mpd coming off the stove and adjust those 90's into what ever angle needed to run a diagonal, you have plenty of pipe and you won't need the dehumidifier running with that stove cranking. I would throw a metal strap around the pipe and hang it from the joist above in order to keep the bacce court open :lol: ciao!

ASHDUMP

Post by ASHDUMP » Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for all the help guys! Doug, I have three screws in each connection and the setup is very rigid.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Yep, 3's real good--I keep my Hitzer together with 2 & never had any problems :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”