Hey, It's a Woodburner That Can Burn Coal Too!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 9:49 am

Do you have any plans on running the hot air pipe to the floor above?

kstone
Baseburners & Antiques: Andes 14 crown
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by kstone » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 9:54 am

michaelanthony wrote:Do you have any plans on running the hot air pipe to the floor above?
yeah for now really like to get the stove up into the living area but that not set up in this house so maybe in the next house ( oh she will kill me if she read that 8-) ) so might have to just use the double heater into the duct work above probable the return air duct when the ac in summer kicks on will keep some off the stove dry from air circulation ? still thinking a bought how to use that the best

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 10:17 am

Considering the houses and living conditions at the time the stove was manufactured, centrally located in the living space (living room, family room etc.) with bedrooms above were common. That stove most likely lived in a beautiful Victorian or Georgian style home of prominence.

In all honestly that stove will do it's work in many if not all conditions. I run a 2nd stove in my basement (when needed) and blow the hot air through the cold air returns with good results. Not enough for the below 30* so the Vigilant in the living room does an excellent job of heating the home with the help of a fan blowing cooler floor level air into the basement below 30 ft away.

Gravity fed warm air may need a push if you plumb it into your duct work, but to paraphrase my friend F.F., nothing ventured nothing gained!

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 10:31 am

kstone wrote:
michaelanthony wrote:Do you have any plans on running the hot air pipe to the floor above?
yeah for now really like to get the stove up into the living area but that not set up in this house so maybe in the next house ( oh she will kill me if she read that 8-) ) so might have to just use the double heater into the duct work above probable the return air duct when the ac in summer kicks on will keep some off the stove dry from air circulation ? still thinking a bought how to use that the best
well, if you find you aren't moving on in real estate and you just can't live with your self having THAT stove in the basement, you could find any number of buyers....yes that's a bald faced, shameless, self serving offer !!
Last edited by KingCoal on Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kstone

Post by kstone » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 10:40 am

Another question is the crown Andes in the Art Andes line I don't seem to find any old literature on crown Andes . and i'm finding some casting stamps off Art A on back off some parts

Attachments

20140210_102405.jpg
.JPG | 150.7KB | 20140210_102405.jpg
20140210_102430.jpg
.JPG | 134.3KB | 20140210_102430.jpg

kstone

Post by kstone » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 10:43 am

well, if you find you aren't moving on in real estate and you just can't live with your self have THAT stove in the basement, you could find any number of buyers....yes that's a bald faced, shameless, self serving offer !![/quote]

thank you for the offer but ill keep it for now lol love it

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 11:01 am

[quote="KingCoal"]well, if you find you aren't moving on in real estate and you just can't live with your self having THAT stove in the basement, you could find any number of buyers....yes that's a bald faced, shameless, self serving offer !![/quote]

Where does the line start! :D

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 11:08 am

[quote="kstone"]Another question is the crown Andes in the Art Andes line I don't seem to find any old literature on crown Andes . and i'm finding some casting stamps off Art A on back off some parts[/quote]

My guess would be, as stove's transitioned towards different models and styles some of the parts were interchangeable and or there were numerous models available and markings were common and identified at what foundry, person, or even contractor provided the part. It sounds like there was fierce competition and things moved rather quickly!

EarlH
Baseburners & Antiques: Favorite 261, Columbian Joy A2
Coal Size/Type: Favorite-16" firepot; Columbian Joy-12"

Post by EarlH » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 11:56 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
kstone wrote:Another question is the crown Andes in the Art Andes line I don't seem to find any old literature on crown Andes . and i'm finding some casting stamps off Art A on back off some parts
My guess would be, as stove's transitioned towards different models and styles some of the parts were interchangeable and or there were numerous models available and markings were common and identified at what foundry, person, or even contractor provided the part. It sounds like there was fierce competition and things moved rather quickly!
With those baseburners, the basic stove was the same for some lines for a good many years and it was only the ornamental parts that got changed around. It helped keep the cost down I suppose.
I know people think these stoves found their way into really posh homes, and I'm sure some did, but if you really had money, you had a central heat plant by the 1880's or so. The so-called pipeless furnace that came out around about 1905 or so is what killed off the parlor stove. If you had a basement, the whole mess could be kept down there. Plus, it was cheap and easy to install. Just one huge hole in the floor somewhere. There's also a great deal to be said for not having to lug your buckets of coal all through the house to the stove, and up steps if it was kept in your basement. And you didn't have to keep all your nice furniture far away from the stove when it was in use.
If you use the double heater pipe on your stove, it will suck much of the heat upstairs as long as you leave the basement door open or something to allow the air to return back down where the stove is. I saw one in use many years ago and it did a pretty good job. If you look on ebay, you'll find the round floor grate that will take the same size pipe as the collar on your double heater attachment. I have to keep my stove in the basement as there is no place upstairs for it. Next summer I need to move it over some, and then I can hook mine up so it will do a better job of heating the main floor. It does pretty good now, but I think that will help it out. It really does a nice job of keeping the floors warm on the main floor! I forget about that and then move a coat or something that I put on the floor and wonder why it's so warm for a moment.
Good luck with your new find, it's really a nice stove.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Feb. 11, 2014 12:08 am

Hauling the coal in is what children are for. At least that was the way it was in my house.

kstone

Post by kstone » Wed. Feb. 19, 2014 3:12 pm

stove has been running very nicely. few things to do in off season

1, hook up and use the double heater to duct work or to floor grate
2, thinking of trying stove size coal the stove makes powder but you find a couple of pieces that fell through the grates or slide under the fire pot and out the side off the grate
3, temporarily repaired a missing corner in divider plate with a pad of steel wool will need to do a more permanent repair in spring
4, black high temp silicon and aluminum foil some off the overlapping seal on doors

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”