Harman Magnafire Markiii

GAMESNIPER

Post by GAMESNIPER » Thu. Jan. 03, 2008 11:39 am

anyone use and own one of these?how much is stove worth used? any problems with this stove to look for if buying it used...Im thinking buying one used of a guy.....any pros and cons .......suggestions would be really appreciated this will be my first coal burning stove..

steinkebunch

Post by steinkebunch » Thu. Jan. 03, 2008 3:04 pm

A similar post a few days ago may help....

Used Harman Mark III

I like the look and function of the Mark III. I could not bring myself to spend the money on a new one, and no used ones were available in Wyoming, so I built my own. Mark III ash pan was too small for my high ash bit. coal anyway.

Some may have comments about the lack of controllable secondary air on the Mark III. Some posts on that too. Shaker mechanism/grates seem well built.

Good luck.

Steinke

endinmaine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Margin Gem Cook Stove and Harman Mark III

Post by endinmaine » Thu. Jan. 03, 2008 3:39 pm

I have had my Mark III for 3 heating seasons now. It is by far the best stove I have ever heated with. I am presently heating a 1300 sqft , 85' ranch , using a 9" fan to move the warmer air to the other end. This summer it will be moved into a new 2500 sqft, 2 story home I am building in Wells, ME. It does require a little more work than a stoker but does not require electricity to operate.
Well worth the price , new or used.

Eric

cowentz
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kast Console II Hearth

Post by cowentz » Thu. Jan. 03, 2008 8:17 pm

I just purchased a used one for $500. 2 things to look at are the baffle plate, and shaker grates. 2 of my grates are warped but still functional. These are $111 each from my local Harman dealer if I ever need to replace. As far as function I don't know I need to install a chimney before I can fire her up

gtx71

Post by gtx71 » Thu. Jan. 03, 2008 9:04 pm

i own 2 Harman mark 111 I to be honest I have been nothing but happy with them.
the one I have at work is probaly one of the 1st built by Harman (it has a 7" flue connection"} at least 20 years old
i bought another in 1988 and still was working until I purchased a Harman magnum last

never had any issues with any of these stoves,

tony bomba

GAMESNIPER

Post by GAMESNIPER » Fri. Jan. 04, 2008 12:14 am

how should iand what should I look for on baffle plate and how should I check grates the guy told me this stove is 8 years old and is all black no fancy trimwork is this stove built better than the new current ones.....thanks for all you guys post....keep them comming

cowentz
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kast Console II Hearth

Post by cowentz » Fri. Jan. 04, 2008 5:21 pm

I took my grates out and laid them on the ground upside down. This way you can tell if they are bowed or not. As for the baffle plate I was told to make sure there were no weak spots and the welds were not cracked.

GAMESNIPER

Post by GAMESNIPER » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 9:45 pm

well looked at this stove today it only has 2 grates so I know it is not the markIII where does it tell you what model it is on stove also there is a small hole in glass like a bb gun was shot at it from the inside out anyone know how much the glass is ........i think it may the mark I he wants $400.00 dollars for this stove what is the value of this stove new.......also if this is the mark I will it work for my home my home is 28X28 2 story plus a exposed basement in front....comments&suggestion would be appreciated..........stove will be installed in basement

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Go to Harman's website, there you can get the measurements of the 3 Mark series stoves. The Mark I and II have 2 grates, the Mark III has 3. The Mark I is not as wide as the others. The spec plate should be on the back of the stove.
As far as whether the stove will heat your house I cannot say, there are other factors that you did not mention, such as the age of the house, type of construction, is it well insulated or not at all, etc.

GAMESNIPER

Post by GAMESNIPER » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 10:52 pm

my home was just built the house(stick built) WELL insulated including basement where I want to putstove... is this a good price for stove? do u know what they cost new

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 9:45 am

GAMESNIPER wrote:my home was just built the house(stick built) WELL insulated including basement where I want to putstove... is this a good price for stove? do u know what they cost new
It's a good price for a used stove. If it's a Mark I it should be able to heat your place. The worst that can happen is that it may not put out enough heat and as some point you may have to get a larger stove, but for the price it's a good place to start. My Mark I is able to keep this place warm (approx. 2000 sq. ft., old farmhouse, lots of drafts) until the temp. gets below 25, then I really have to push it and use the wood burner for more heat. It will most likely turn the basement into an oven.
They cost around $1300 to $1400 new, depending on the deal you make, plus tax, of course.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”