Do You Need to Season a New/Restored Stove.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sat. Aug. 10, 2013 3:10 am

Hey guys seeing how it's getting close, one more day till I get my stove just wondering if there's a proper way to break in a new or rebuilt stove. Similiar to breaking in a new engine. Such as bringing it up to temp slowly. BTW love the smell of fresh paint heating up. Although my stove is a hundred years old. Probably pretty seasoned already. Thanks for any suggestions. Matt

PS: Did alot of searching the forum and haven't seen this yet. Every time I use the search tool it just brings up the key words. Not the actual thread topics.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Aug. 10, 2013 8:07 am

I have seen it mentioned in a few threads over the years to build a couple small fires in new stoves to 'season' them. It also helps in that if you do discover a problem you don't have a large, hot coal fire to figure out how to handle.

In my hand fed's I would build a small wood fire when they were new for the 'smoke off' and also at the beginning of the season just to make sure I had door gaskets correct and no problems with the flue pipe seams.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Aug. 10, 2013 8:34 am

Ditto on that--new, refurbished, start of new season, which ever--I always do a nice lil wood fire just cause it seems like the common sense thing to do for all the reasons titleist mentioned above:)

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sat. Aug. 10, 2013 11:00 am

Thank you. Let you all know how I make out. Matt

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sat. Aug. 10, 2013 1:47 pm

With a cast iron stove like the Jotul wood stoves where all the abutting seams are filled with furnace cement you are supposed to build 3 fires to break in/season the new or rebuilt stove. First fire just gets it up to 200*f (stove top) & then goes out, second fire gets it up to 300*f & the 3rd fire takes it up to 400*F. The stove needs to cool completely between each fire.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”