Who Makes a Quality Stove That Burns Both Wood and Coal?

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Thu. Jul. 22, 2021 10:19 pm

I'd like to add my $0.02 on this one. I Have the Ds Comfortmax 75. I can tell you without a doubt this stove burns wood nearly as well as it burns anthracite. I say nearly for 2 reasons; 1 the wood doesn't last 12+ hours, and 2, you don't have the same level of control with wood as you do with coal. The comfortmax is designed to extract the max amount of exhaust heat, and it does just that. There have been more than a few times I've had to open the doors and windows to cool the house off when burning wood! I think I burned about a cord and a half to 2 cords through the comfortmax last year. My chimney stayed reasonably clean, and the stove heated the house with no issue whatsoever.

The Comfortmax is an East- West stove, meaning the logs go in from left to right. The firebox is at a maximum 19" wide which means you can comfortably burn 18" long logs. You can get up to about 20" in sideways. The firebox is very tall, I have had firewood packed in from the grates to the reburn tubes as tight as I could fit it and the stove performed well and even had a few red coals left when I returned from work the next day. I figured out that loading the stove that much puts out way too much heat for fall though.

I am fairly certain if I had to I could heat my drafty old 1800's farm house all winter on wood alone with the Comfortmax, but I love burning coal. I love the ease of it, the blue flame and the consistent heat. And most of all I love not having to get up in the middle of the night to put wood in the stove!

In my opinion DS is building top quality stoves. If anyone has any questions about the Comfortmax please feel free to shoot me a message or a reply. I would be more than happy to answer any and all questions or to offer advice on your Comfortmax

Mobile-tech1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy TLC2000
Other Heating: Forced air house , Dutchwest wood stove garage

Post by Mobile-tech1 » Thu. Jul. 29, 2021 8:44 am

I think the tlc2000 burns wood pretty darn nice too , hasthe air wash and secondary air control , when I ran outta coal last winter I started burning some firewood and it would crank the heat out ,way below zero temps and 15-25 mph winds kept my place toasty even better than burning coal (I think the tractor supply stuff I had wasn’t that good ) granted your no where near a burn time or tending time . I wish the stuff had secondary air tube for Re-burn like the DS, I’m gonna modify mine for secondary tubes as I want to burn some Bit and wood in this stove ,seen a YouTube of a guy with a 50-93 burning anthracite and getting some re -burn ,
I don’t know just didn’t seem like I get the heat I do when I burn wood vs coal , get a long burn time and seems like a good fire seem like I’d end up having that primary air wide open just to get 600 outta it

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jul. 29, 2021 9:39 am

Mobile-tech1 wrote:
Thu. Jul. 29, 2021 8:44 am
I think the tlc2000 burns wood pretty darn nice too , hasthe air wash and secondary air control , when I ran outta coal last winter I started burning some firewood and it would crank the heat out ,way below zero temps and 15-25 mph winds kept my place toasty even better than burning coal (I think the tractor supply stuff I had wasn’t that good ) granted your no where near a burn time or tending time . I wish the stuff had secondary air tube for Re-burn like the DS, I’m gonna modify mine for secondary tubes as I want to burn some Bit and wood in this stove ,seen a YouTube of a guy with a 50-93 burning anthracite and getting some re -burn ,
I don’t know just didn’t seem like I get the heat I do when I burn wood vs coal , get a long burn time and seems like a good fire seem like I’d end up having that primary air wide open just to get 600 outta it
Check the gaskets on the top door with the dollar bill test. Close the door all the way around with a dollar between door and stove and if it pulls out easy you need a new gasket. Other over fire air leaks dont help either. Other than that try some Blaschak or similar trusted good brands of nut coal as some of the TSC nut does not burn well consistently. It can be the best and worst coal on the same pallet but worth the price if on sale. No way should wood be easier to heat a home than anthracite in a good stove like you have.

Mobile-tech1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy TLC2000
Other Heating: Forced air house , Dutchwest wood stove garage

Post by Mobile-tech1 » Thu. Jul. 29, 2021 11:04 am

Yeah kinda what I’ve been thinking , found the front door wouldn’t pass last year adjusted the latch and it was sealing good , also removed the side panels or heat shields to check the secondary air intake found the side panels not cut right allowing secondary in in the supposed off position , tightened clamps on glass , called legacy and they told me the front door leak and others like that won’t affect my operation .....
I did modify my side panels so I can completely shut off all over fire air

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”