Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Tue. Jun. 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi guys,
New here and also new to coal. Anyway, I see a Crane Coal Cooker for sale on CL and it appears to be the model 44.

The biggest question I have how large of an area this will heat. I've read that it's better to be a bit small than too big with a coal stove. The home is 1,800 sq ft although realistically will probably be heating 1,200-1,400 due to the layout.

Also, the permit for the chimney is asking for the BTU output of the stove. How would I find this out? Thanks for any input

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jun. 18, 2013 9:45 pm

skobydog wrote:The biggest question I have how large of an area this will heat.
I couldn't find anything on BTU output..
skobydog wrote:I've read that it's better to be a bit small than too big with a coal stove.
Well I guess it depends if you want it as a supplemental heating appliance or if you plan to use strictly coal. The bigger the better if you only want to use coal because on those frigid days you will need the extra BTU output ability.
skobydog wrote:Also, the permit for the chimney is asking for the BTU output of the stove.

Are you building a chimney? Block and mortar?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Jun. 18, 2013 11:32 pm

The Crane model 44 is listed at 40,000 Btu, but bear in mind that this is firing it for all it is worth and not a real world practical figure especially for a stove with a 25 pound capacity.

If you burn 40 pounds a day it will put out a bit less than 20,000 BTU per hour, probably OK for about 1,000 sq. ft.

Yes it is true that a smaller stove burned hotter will have a more efficient fire than a larger stove that is air restricted but the larger stove will have lower stack temperature and overall efficiency might be the same or better. You will need a larger stove for 1800 square feet.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jun. 19, 2013 3:19 am

Crane 44 is a stove that outperformed all expectations for its size... It was very similar to the heat output of a Chubby when burned hot, yet half its size. It was a solid welded 1/4 inch thick steel beast that was able to take an incredible amount of punishment and was the work horse known as the "Crane Coal Cooker".

I have a 2000 sq. ft. house and used a Crane 44 for years to supplement but Franco is right in that the stack temps and stovetop temps on the 44 are far higher then a larger stove and I kept the stove overfired most of the time except spring and fall :D I still have this stove today and it would last another 1000 years im sure :lol:

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jun. 19, 2013 3:25 am

skobydog wrote:Hi guys,
New here and also new to coal. Anyway, I see a Crane Coal Cooker for sale on CL and it appears to be the model 44.

The biggest question I have how large of an area this will heat. I've read that it's better to be a bit small than too big with a coal stove. The home is 1,800 sq ft although realistically will probably be heating 1,200-1,400 due to the layout.

Also, the permit for the chimney is asking for the BTU output of the stove. How would I find this out? Thanks for any input
Watch for the grate (make sure its with it), I see them at times for $100 - $200 depending on condition or things like blower. I can obtain firebrick, wooden handles, ceramic glass super easy (the grate is available as well, just at a huge cost :( ).

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Wed. Jun. 19, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks for the quick responses.

I realistically would only need to heat half of the house as I live alone and the bedrooms off to the side and the room above those would be closed off (I live alone). BUT I don't want to regret having something too small either.

The half of the house that needs heating is an open beam with a cathedral ceiling that goes to a loft type-type area. I'm not sure having this design would require more or less heating.

The person is only asking $100.00 for the stove. They say it was their grandfather's and they don't need it (I haven't seen it in person yet).

The reason I am inquiring about BTU was the permit asks for it. I was going to put run chimney pipe up through the cathedral ceiling. I'm in Massachusetts, I'm not sure how strict the inspector will be with the BTU question. It seems like a strange question as I'm sure people change out their stoves on occasion without going for a new permit or am I incorrect?

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Wed. Jun. 19, 2013 9:14 am

dcrane wrote:stack temps and stovetop temps on the 44 are far higher then a larger stove and I kept the stove overfired most of the time except spring and fall :D
Any issues with running the stove at these temps? Also, can you still get a 12 hour burn when running like this?

I don't want regret buying something too small but I've heard such great things about this stove that it may actually work for what I need. They're asking $100.00 OB which seems like a deal to me, plus it wouldn't break the bank if it was too small. The only thing I don't want to happen is regret it when the cold weather sets in.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jun. 19, 2013 9:28 am

skobydog wrote:
dcrane wrote:stack temps and stovetop temps on the 44 are far higher then a larger stove and I kept the stove overfired most of the time except spring and fall :D
Any issues with running the stove at these temps? Also, can you still get a 12 hour burn when running like this?

I don't want regret buying something too small but I've heard such great things about this stove that it may actually work for what I need. They're asking $100.00 OB which seems like a deal to me, plus it wouldn't break the bank if it was too small. The only thing I don't want to happen is regret it when the cold weather sets in.
I will say this to you... In 40 years Ive never once heard a person who bought this stove (used or new) say they were disappointed in their purchase. Offer the guy $50.00 and explain you need to buy new firebrick and obtain a spare grate for it (this requires work & money for the grate). If you live near me I will let you borrow a set of firebrick molds if you leave me something until you return them. or worst case ill have to make you a set and you will have to pay for it.

as far as your question about running it hot... this stove is built like a tank...EVERYONE ran them hot! You will get a 12 hour burn no problem and if you have never burned coal before the Crane Coal Cooker is the most idiot proof coal stove ever made.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jun. 19, 2013 9:47 am

dcrane wrote:
I will say this to you... In 40 years Ive never once heard a person who bought this stove (used or new) say they were disappointed in their purchase.
Disappointed and regretting not getting a bigger unit happens a lot.For a $100 assuming it works and doesn't need much work you can always sell it off and get a bigger one next year. Really can't go wrong. This happens frequently because they want to test the waters and with lot of used units available it's easy to do. There is lot of people on here that have upgraded not once but twice going from something like a smaller stove like that and now have boilers or furnaces.

As far as what it's going to heat that depends on a lot, on average it's going to keep about 3 or 4 regular sized rooms warm and if you have open floor plan it will work really well. I had one customer with a larger Franco Belge that is probably similar sized and he a claimed he heated most of his 2000 sq. ft. house with it using 3 or 4 ton. He had 2*6 construction, new windows, very well insulated, he was older with no kids and he had ducts set up to circulate the heat.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Wed. Jun. 19, 2013 10:50 am

Just getting my feet wet this seems this may not be a bad option.

I'm guessing inspection of the grate should be easy. I see aftermarket grates going for around $100.00, would that be a fair estimate if a replacement is needed?

With regards to the cement lining, will it be obvious on visual inspection whether it will need to be rebuilt?

Anyone burn wood in this? I'm not saying to heat the entire house but just to take the chill out early in a season. Thanks

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jun. 19, 2013 11:04 am

skobydog wrote:Just getting my feet wet this seems this may not be a bad option.

I'm guessing inspection of the grate should be easy. I see aftermarket grates going for around $100.00, would that be a fair estimate if a replacement is needed?

With regards to the cement lining, will it be obvious on visual inspection whether it will need to be rebuilt?

Anyone burn wood in this? I'm not saying to heat the entire house but just to take the chill out early in a season. Thanks
wood in this stove is useless, even though it will burn wood, the stove is able to go to pretty low temps very easy with coal compared to most coal stoves and because of its vertical/cylindrical shape and size its not a very good wood stove (no matter what my dad stated in the manual :lol: ), but its ability with coal is undeniable!

Look for warping on the grate or crakes or chunks missing, look for the wear on the firebrick down at the level where the grate sits (their should only be about a 1/4" gap from the outside of the grate diameter to the firebrick), their is a stainless protector ring that came with the stove their but most people including me removed it and that would make the firebrick wear a lil faster at this point.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Anyone know if grates are available online or will have to hunt one down somewhere? I'm going to look at it this afternoon and wanted to know beforehand. Thanks

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 12:26 pm

skobydog wrote:Anyone know if grates are available online or will have to hunt one down somewhere? I'm going to look at it this afternoon and wanted to know beforehand. Thanks
grates are available online at some place called woodsman blah blah blah (another member here can post a link), I personal;ly have issues with this company in terms of pricing, gouging and stealing. The cost is pretty crazy at $150.00! Id just assume give you a grate to take to your local foundry and have one poured (it wouldent be that much more)LOL

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Fri. Jun. 21, 2013 9:01 am

I ended up buying it for $80.00.

Looked to me like she's ready to run without fixing anything. Bottom grate looked good along with the lining. The door seemed to seal well also. I may post pics at a later time as I have a few other questions.

BTW, the stove fit in the trunk of my Honda Civic. :lol: The guy I was buying it from thought I was crazy but I measured it 3 times and it fit with ease.

Not sure if I got the best price but I'm sure I got a great little stove.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Fri. Jun. 21, 2013 10:24 am

skobydog wrote:I ended up buying it for $80.00.

Looked to me like she's ready to run without fixing anything. Bottom grate looked good along with the lining. The door seemed to seal well also. I may post pics at a later time as I have a few other questions.

BTW, the stove fit in the trunk of my Honda Civic. :lol: The guy I was buying it from thought I was crazy but I measured it 3 times and it fit with ease.

Not sure if I got the best price but I'm sure I got a great little stove.
the crane coal cooker is going to blow your mind when you see how much heat such a tiny unit can produce safely and how little an area or small a fireplace it can be installed into ;) as I said... its built like a mini tank and designed as a coal burning machine :cheers:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”