Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Mar. 05, 2015 11:30 am

Those 4 chimneys are there for a good reason !! 4 handfed stoves all radiating their bone warming heat outward,none of them will have to be run super hot, very little set-up $$ ,it is not that difficult to tend a stove 1 or twice per day :) To see what it takes to tend a stove is shown so well in the Chubby video by Larry Trainer. Go to the Chubby section & view that video,that will give you a very good idea of what your involvement will be in a 24 hr period with your stove.

KingCoal918
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Coal Cooker Model 88
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut

Post by KingCoal918 » Thu. Mar. 05, 2015 11:51 am

According to the "Coal Burner's Almanac" Crane published as an operators manual with the 44 and 88, the 44 is good for 2–5 rooms, of 10,000 cubic feet (not square feet) at 40,000 BTU.

The 88 - 3–7 rooms, 15K CF at 60K BTU.

Whatever stove you choose, install a barometric damper, and manometer to tune it.

In combination with more insulation, I went from burning 40lbs of coal a day last season, to under 15lb/ day this year with one shake-down in the morning.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Mar. 16, 2015 5:12 am

AcadiaV nice looking house. Those chimneys are huge. but at least not on an outside wall. I have an 1874 house insulated attic sort of 20% in walls and 26 single pane windows and 80% plaster walls. Depending on a few things you will probably need more than 1 stove to make a large change in fuel oil use. Size of the stove is both heat load and how long between tendings. Small stove and cold weather means 6 to 8 hours larger stove means 8 to 12 so your schedule has a lot to do with things. I set a practical limit at you can't burn more than 2/3 of what the fire pot holds without it becoming a rescue the fire situation and that takes time and patience and gets old quick. If Tractor Supply or anyone else sells Kimmels coal get a ton and keep a 5 gallon bucket handy in case you cut it close and not much burning coal left. It really wants to burn and lights very quickly but makes more ash so a steady diet of it just adds work for me at least. Lacking double or triple pane windows the best bang for your buck to lower the heating load is 3M interior window film. Only tools needed is scissors and a blow dryer. Install time for a 3ft. X 5ft. window for a guy in his 60's with a bad back and knees is around 15 minutes each and the reduction in drafts is dramatic to say the least. If you have never had an old house before there is one thing you might find distressing when you first light the stove or stoves, it will seem to make no change at first but don't worry it is the walls coming up to temperature and might take a day or two just hang with it.

As far as coal use I run through about 65 lbs. of coal a day in a Crane 404 that gives me a net output of 23.5k to 24k btu. per hour. and 1200 sq. ft. at 72 to 74 degrees tend the stove every 7 to 8 hours when 0 outside. If I had to guess you are looking at needing a distributed 40k to 45k btu. per hour with 2 stoves in cruise mode the try for 12 hours at a normal 20 degrees out as I think your weather not much different than mine.

If you an experienced coal burner hope I did not bore you LOL.

Oldhamtom
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Crane cooker 44

Post by Oldhamtom » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 8:18 pm

hi gang thanks ahead, bin burning wood for 40 yrs just bought crane 44 cooker, heating 1800 sq ft 2 fls , want to run 6 in double wall flex ss in lined chimney, 20ft plus 2ft horizontal blk pipe w/cleanout . any suggestions on supplyers of pipe? any input will be great--tom southshore ma.

KingCoal918
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Coal Cooker Model 88
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut

Post by KingCoal918 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Hey OldhamTom,

You may find the 44 a bit small for the space you're describing, or in the least you'll be running it hot.

As far as sourcing pipe goes, you might check out https://www.northlineexpress.com/

mjb

Oldhamtom
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Crane cooker 44

Post by Oldhamtom » Wed. Feb. 06, 2019 8:13 pm

THANKYOU VERY MUCH--TOM

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”