Still Burning?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Mon. May. 06, 2013 2:34 pm

IOF

Yep that is the stuff. Turface will absorb lots of water. Great to mix into potting soil or your garden soil as well for extra water holding capacity. The real jewel of Turface is it doesn't really ever break down.

63roundbadge

Post by 63roundbadge » Tue. May. 07, 2013 8:51 am

Geez. Still idling on May 6th!!! Longest season ever. My brother in law keeps telling me, "turn the oil on, it's easier." He doesn't get that coal costs me pennies per day at this rate vs. dollar$$$. I've been filling the hopper every 3 days and emptying ash every 4 days for the past 2 weeks. Just enough silent heat to keep the chill out overnight.

What's not to love?

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. May. 07, 2013 9:26 am

Same here. Scraped the corners of bin and put last of bulk in last nite
Will try to use the six backup bags if this cool spring continues
8 months. 1 match!

Vangellis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Olix Air Flo
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Vangellis » Tue. May. 07, 2013 5:39 pm

You guys are nuts. :D J/K

I just pulled a stand fan up from the basement because it was too warm in the house today. Geez.

Kevin

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Tue. May. 07, 2013 6:04 pm

still idleing along , cool wet here iam not going to be uncomfortable to save a few lumps of coal...just remember "the hearse don't stop at the bank"

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Tue. May. 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Still idling here too.... I'm dryloking the walls in my basement and I want it to be nice and dry while I'm applying it. I'll shut 'er down once I wrap this up, hopefully another week or so.

Attachments

image.jpg

Bare wall

.JPG | 86.7KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 92.9KB | image.jpg
image.jpg

1 wall down... Only 3 more to go!

.JPG | 83.5KB | image.jpg

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Wed. May. 08, 2013 9:12 am

ONEDOLLAR wrote:IOF

Yep that is the stuff. Turface will absorb lots of water. Great to mix into potting soil or your garden soil as well for extra water holding capacity. The real jewel of Turface is it doesn't really ever break down.
Yeah, I looked it up online the other day. Might be worth a shot. Came home from work yesterday and noticed a lot of red in the bed of the stove. Put the laser on it and it was only reading 87*, so I opened the air all the way and within an hour it was out and the stove was cold. But, it figures, it goes out and the very next day it rains. So, it's damp. I was going to wait until this weekend to clean it out but since it's supposed to rain the next few days I'll be doing it tonight after work. Or I can throw a few pieces of wood in it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. May. 08, 2013 10:44 am

I was expecting the old Hitzer to be KA-PUT Mon. but it got chilly night temps & put a full hod in her after 48 hrs just idling along & NOW, she's still idling away keeping the night chill out. I can't even project a shut down date at this point--. Been using half a hod a day for about a month--tending every 24--giving her 4 quick shakes:)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. May. 08, 2013 11:31 am

Fred, I'd being in a few more pails...rainy and damp weather is around the corner.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. May. 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Hell Rob, they said possible frost coming Mon & Tues. :wtf: :woot:

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. May. 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Looks like mid-Sept to mid-May again. The HO cost of a premature shutdown is painful. Played that game before and refuse to play again. However, next Monday has to be it - yes? - please! :roll:

63roundbadge

Post by 63roundbadge » Thu. May. 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Going out to scrape the corners of the bin! 30s overnight Sun/Mon??? Will this ever end? Kodiak's idling at 140, 120 6" above the outlet. Windows and doors open during the day, closed at night. I could live with this year round now that I think about it...

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Thu. May. 09, 2013 7:20 pm

the kodiak ate its first bag of santa candy will prolly eat its second tomorrow. the rain makes it just damp enough to need it. gunna try and feed it 4 more then end the longest burning season since St. Elmo's fire ....

figure I keep 2 bags for test burns of any base burners that may need summer seasoning :roll:

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Mon. May. 13, 2013 7:00 am

Still burning! As of this morning (5/13/2013) I have an 1/8 of an inch of snow on the ground with more snow falling as I type with over night temps of 22 F. We are suppose to get snow at least a little every day for the next two days before it changes over to rain and more cool temps. I'm hoping this cold snap will kill off a lot of the black flies and other pain in the backside bugs we seem to have a lot of this season.

I let one of the two coal stoves (green 507) go out two weeks ago and at the time thought I would be able to shut down the other shortly after. Not the case, for the past two weeks the coal stove has been idling at 110 F. At this temp the stove is able to keep the house at a nice constant temp. Yesterday afternoon I had to throttle up the still burning coal stove which is now burning at 250 F. Until last night burning the coal stove has been nice, fill every four days and give it a quick shake every other day. Now I will have to fill every three days with the same shaking pattern. Not too bad.

Yesterday, I shut down my parents Alaska 140 for the season. After cleaning the power venter and the coal burner, I am reminded why I prefer to burn hand fed antique coal stoves. To clean the power venter and coal burner takes several hours. To clean both of my hand fed stoves takes me about one hour. Lets not forget the silence of my hand fed stove radiating off the heat without the noise of combustion fans and a distribution fan running. Granted my parents Alaska 140 is in their basement and I have it plumbed into their heating system and they can not hear it unless they go to the basement. I still prefer the lack of electric consumption and noiseless running of my hand fed stoves to their Alaska 140. Looking at the long term forecast, it looks like I will still be burning until the end of this month. I'm not complaining, I love the cold temps, snow and burning coal. I just wish we had constant cold temps with more snow on the ground.

The snowman.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. May. 13, 2013 7:40 am

Dang, I am half thinking of firing up Gretel again. 30's this am and the bear is just coming back u to "Flame On" mode...

its odd temps for this time of year....... I hope I don't have to go get more bags of coal....not feeling buying the kero or propane much, it cuts into the square nut fund....... :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”