Need Advice Hitzer/D.C Stove

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. Apr. 29, 2013 9:46 pm

franco b wrote:
dcrane wrote: (modern stoves have their hoppers outside the combustion chamber
I think you are confusing this with a stoker. Hand fed stoves modern or antique have the hopper within the stove.
I stand corrected... Looking at the Hitzer manual I see you are right ;) My clock still wont work on a 19 hour schedule and I prefer to do the once per morning, once per night thing ;)

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Apr. 29, 2013 10:01 pm

DSM or hitzer...
both good stoves...
DSM no fans holds more in hopper Basement #4...
Hand fired hoppers are inside the stove...

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. May. 01, 2013 8:31 pm

franco b wrote:
dcrane wrote: (modern stoves have their hoppers outside the combustion chamber
I think you are confusing this with a stoker. Hand fed stoves modern or antique have the hopper within the stove.
My thoughts exactly! I was waiting for Fred to jump back in. And Greg; You nailed it again......... That's what's so great about this site. We all learn from each other, and each others experiences. Nothing more humiliating than running off at the mouth, then being corrected, and knowing you've been corrected. It happens to the best of us :lol: . Oliver
Last edited by oliver power on Wed. May. 01, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. May. 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Smith did his research & made a real good choice with the 50-93 & understands the advantages of the hand fed, as Oliver & Richard stated ,do have the hopper internal, no if's, and's or but's :) You guys are good:) :) And YES, I do tend my 50-93 every 12 hrs in the dead of winter---every 24 hrs or so during the cuff months--learning curve as it were--any questions that came up were answered here on the FORUM & it's been a damn good 6 season, trouble free run--it came from listening to people that were knowledgable with my particular stove
oliver power wrote:
franco b wrote: I think you are confusing this with a stoker. Hand fed stoves modern or antique have the hopper within the stove.
My thoughts exactly! I was waiting for Fred to jump back in.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. May. 02, 2013 7:40 am

oliver power wrote:
franco b wrote: I think you are confusing this with a stoker. Hand fed stoves modern or antique have the hopper within the stove.
My thoughts exactly! I was waiting for Fred to jump back in. And Greg; You nailed it again......... That's what's so great about this site. We all learn from each other, and each others experiences. Nothing more humiliating than running off at the mouth, then being corrected, and knowing you've been corrected. It happens to the best of us :lol: . Oliver
Ok, Ok... We pounded poor Dougie enough :( LOL
The beauty of me is the fact that I have no problem being humiliated :out: It still wont stop me from engaging subjects and the forum as best I can :box:
Fred wont kick me when im down on the ground covering my head... he only does it when im standing up :funny:

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. May. 02, 2013 10:07 am

DC: do a little research before you hit 'sumbit'... :shock: :lol: ie: Don't be a 'premature submitter'.. :D

The Hitzer hopper, the antique magazine Are INSIDE the stove.. You can google Hitzer 5093 and see a nice cut-away drawing.
Look at some of the many stoves' photos on the forum and you can see the magazine.

ALL stoves' body work under a slight negative pressure or a vacuum.. so even though the early, antique stoves did not have a gasketed lid over the magazine, the lid fit reasonably well, and any leaks would be INTO the stove if the chimney had draft.. The magazines have a ring of holes around the top to let the volitiles be expelled into the stove body, and burn and go up the flue.

I think the OP will be very happy with their choice of a Hitzer 5093..

Link to Art Garland thread, the magazine is well photographed about halfway down the first page.
Art Garland Baseburner "Double Heater"

Greg L

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. May. 02, 2013 10:53 am

GG Fred for not beating a dead horse or giving another kick to a down man ;)

Greg on the other hand... could not resist :lol:

So ill Reiterate
My research tells me a manual feed coal stove with an automated 30lb hopper is redundant and if I have to remove ash and load and I also cant allow the hopper to get lower then half full (as you stated earlier and as the manual states) So the hopper is really only 15lbs of useable coal, then I think its pretty much a consumer nicety that cost money that really does not have a "whole lot" of function except for the nights you go drinking and get home at 2am :lol:

Im not going to talk about the dead spots and football field of that D.C. because it would be beating a dead horse and I don't like doing that :lol:

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. May. 02, 2013 4:08 pm

There ya go, 'Prematurely Submitting' again..

So for a person with a small home,, but wants a long burn,, you can buy a Harman Mk I or MkII and feed it every 12 hours.. OR you can buy
a Hopper fed stove, Alaska, Hitzer, DM. and have 24 hour burn..

IF the hopper burns does burn low,, it's an easy operation to open the top lid, add coal, if you want, give it 30 minutes to warm up, or just go ahead and shake it down, top off the hopper and you are done.. The hopper can be completely used, it's just better if it is partly full when shaking.. if not, add some coal.. simple.
Same in an antique stove with a magazine.. It's FAR from a minor convenience.. just read the posts from the people who have a Hopper fed stove,,
ask any one of them if they'd go back to a shovel-it-in stove again and I'll bet 99% say hell no !!

If a person has a very orderly life and doesn't care if a fire goes out, and the electric or oil heat comes on,, then they may not care,, but 99% of the people on the forum would prefer to never get heat from 'conventional' sources..They want to burn coal..and only coal all winter.

Each and every stove has it's foibles. issues and traits.. NONE are perfect. A perfect stove for on person will not satisfy the next guy.. just
the nature of stoves and people..

Greg L

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. May. 02, 2013 5:52 pm

If " every stove has it's foibles. issues and traits.. NONE are perfect" please inform me of what the imperfections are with the Hitzer & D.C ?

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Thu. May. 02, 2013 6:01 pm

LsFarm wrote:
Each and every stove has it's foibles. issues and traits.. NONE are perfect. A perfect stove for on person will not satisfy the next guy.. just

Greg L
I would agree with this statement Greg, I recently switched from a Gem Dockash which was an OAK style stove to a baseburner Kineo from Maine. Both stoves have its pro's and con's. The main thing I do not like about the new Kineo baseburner is the 8" square loading door...it is way too small. Once you put your arm in there to even start a fire or clean it out, you cannot see what you are doing. Other than that, I love the baseburner stove! I am sure everyone would be able to make a similar statement as to the pro's and con's of their stove.
Randy

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. May. 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Photog200 wrote:
LsFarm wrote:

Greg L
I would agree with this statement Greg, I recently switched from a Gem Dockash which was an OAK style stove to a baseburner Kineo from Maine. Both stoves have its pro's and con's. The main thing I do not like about the new Kineo baseburner is the 8" square loading door...it is way too small. Once you put your arm in there to even start a fire or clean it out, you cannot see what you are doing. Other than that, I love the baseburner stove! I am sure everyone would be able to make a similar statement as to the pro's and con's of their stove.
Randy
well lets hear some cons, disappointments or disatisfactions about the Hitzer/D.C stove in this thread please? (a few tidbits about Cons would be a lot more valueable then 20 Pro's about them) BUT...what might be even be more rare is hearing things we "disagree" with Greg about :lol: yes... Im included in that mix too ;)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. May. 02, 2013 7:27 pm

It's hard to disagree with Greg because he tends to be objective in his statements. I agree with you that the not so good points of a stove should be reported as well as the good points.

I can;t report on the Hitzer or DC stoves because I have used neither. I have though, read many reports on these stoves which are pretty much positive. I really doubt that Fred would burn less coal than the 3.5 tons he uses to heat his old farm house with another stove, regardless of make or age.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. May. 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Ya know, I've been thinking & I know that sounds scary, but I can't think of a single con with my Hitzer 50-93--I picked it up way up north off Craigslist for $450.00 6 yrs ago--the guy wanted $600.00 --he'd burned wood in it & the grates, hopper boot & grate frame needed replacing--I also got new glass & all new gaskets--I then found this FORUM & after burning wood for 50 yrs--I was a newbie-idiot--& was probably the only one at the time that didn't realize that:)--I joined NEPA Crossroads & found Oliver Power who at the time was using a 50-93--he walked me through the learning curve my first winter---he's a very patient & knowledgable man) and got me to realize that the design of the stove really required me to do very little except get my draft setting right for my house & tend twice a day and pretty much leave it alone. Yep, I can't think of any cons worth mentioning--oh wait, there was one---that was me thinking I was real smart when it came to burning coal---NOT--The brotherhood I've found on this FORUM pertaining to coal use has been outstanding. :)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. May. 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Ahhh Haaa! "get my draft setting right for my house & tend twice a day and pretty much leave it alone" (does anyone else see what I see... this is coming from a long time Hitzer user who knows wtf he's doing!)
No back peddling now Fred... need I say more :P :P :P

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. May. 02, 2013 11:15 pm

I am not a stove expert, but I did have a few winters to test out a big Heatrola with a round fire pot and later a big squareHitzer. The grate system on the Hitzer was much more rugged and the bi-metallic thermostat held an even stove temperature over a much longer time period. The Hitzer I had wasn't much to look at, but it excelled at producing heat.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”