Hitzer Insert, Any Thought's or Suggestions?

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 11:38 am

I am thinking of getting a Hitzer insert as a backup for my stoker if we loose power for any length of time. It is rare we do for more than 2-3 hours, but my wife remembers the ice storm we had a few years ago where we had no electric for 2 weeks. So, while she is in the frame of mind......

I could use the Hitzer as a wood burner for my living room and throw the coal to it if needed. I have always wanted an insert for my fireplace anyway, so why not get one that will do double duty.

There may be other options to consider, so let's hear them.

BK

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Well I've seen it mentioned they are similar to the Franco Belge's. My cousin successfully burned rice in a FB, wasn't perfect because a significant amount fell through grates but using buck which is next size up isn't a problem at all. The buck can probably be burned in your channing so at the very least you'll be able to use it in both. I'd see what others post about sizes for both though because I'm not familiar with either.

Whatever the case certainly sounds like a good idea to me, having the option to burn wood or coal without the need for power is a pretty big advantage.

New York Bear

Post by New York Bear » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 6:02 pm

I don't have an insert, but I have a Hitzer stove, and I burn both, wood and coal in it, perfect with coal, kind of a smoke dragon with wood, but works. COAL rocks!

JADE FREED

Post by JADE FREED » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 10:28 pm

hey bksaun.,

i have a hitzer 983 with the dual doors and I think it is a wonderful stove.the stove was built in the 80's and I am 2nd owner...i have had it 3 winters now and I am using it as a free standing unit. the first 2 years I have burned mostly wood, but this year I started a coal fire thanksgiving weekend and been burning coal since then. I've been using both stove coal and nut coal....seems to get its best burns when I load it with the stove coal and top it ( cover it ) with the nut...you can get the unit with a single door now or with the dual doors...i don't know how the single door workks with wood but the dual doors have air spinouts that work very well when burning wood. I also have a manual damper installed in the flue and get all-nite burns..(this was recomended by the manufacturer!!)....they are great people to talk to and will answer any question you have.

J.D.

bksaun

Post by bksaun » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Change of plans, the Hitzer is 2" too wide! Darn.

Now what?

BK

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 11:11 pm

You may try asking Hitzer to build you a narrower stove. I would think that they would do this with a single door version. I'm not sure if they could shrink the double door version enough.

Greg L

bksaun

Post by bksaun » Wed. Jan. 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Called Hitzer, they can reduce the height but not the width of the stove.

THAT DOES IT!

The House is for sale!

BK

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”