A New Warm Morning

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 2:54 am

Kielanders wrote:
wsherrick wrote:Just clean that puppy off, then polish it up with some stove polish. Get a 2 foot section of stove pipe and force one end of it to comply with the stove collar. You might need a couple of extra hands to be ready with the screws to fasten it while you are holding it in place.
I just measured it before trying - it seems a 7" oval adapter is required (~22" circumference) and on order.
A 6" round squished to an oval will fit the WM outlet .

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Thu. Aug. 01, 2013 1:26 am

Smokeyja wrote:
Kielanders wrote: I just measured it before trying - it seems a 7" oval adapter is required (~22" circumference) and on order.

Smokey,

Thanks much for your thoughts. The adapter we bought fits perfect, but it's nice to know I can improvise if necessary.

We've had an amazingly warm summer up here, so I haven't even fired it up yet.

To tell you the truth, I feel a little guilty using it as the brick inside is brand new/never used.

Thanks again - I'm going to look-up some of your videos on YouTube.

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Fri. Aug. 02, 2013 11:01 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
Kielanders wrote: I just measured it before trying - it seems a 7" oval adapter is required (~22" circumference) and on order.

Smokey,

How do you light and reload your Warm Morning?

For my Harman's, I fully bank the coal, and set a nice size wood fire on the unbanked side. By the time the wood has been going about 20 minutes, the coal begins to burn its way up the hill of the bank over the next 12 hours.

Because the Warm Morning is more like a verticle cylinder, I'm having trouble seeing how I'll be able to do that.

Also, with our bit coal, on the reload, I'm concerned about just shoveling it in - as when I try that with our stoves presently, it usually knocks the fire down, then starts coking the new coal with no flame, creating a puff-back situation within just a few minutes.

As I'm burning now, I've been doing full loads, then letting it almost completely burn down before reload.

Thoughts?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Aug. 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Don't know if this helps but the Warm Morning advertising claimed that it coked the coal with the flames coming up the corner chimneys.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Aug. 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Kielanders wrote: Smokey,

How do you light and reload your Warm Morning?

For my Harman's, I fully bank the coal, and set a nice size wood fire on the unbanked side. By the time the wood has been going about 20 minutes, the coal begins to burn its way up the hill of the bank over the next 12 hours.

Because the Warm Morning is more like a verticle cylinder, I'm having trouble seeing how I'll be able to do that.

Also, with our bit coal, on the reload, I'm concerned about just shoveling it in - as when I try that with our stoves presently, it usually knocks the fire down, then starts coking the new coal with no flame, creating a puff-back situation within just a few minutes.

As I'm burning now, I've been doing full loads, then letting it almost completely burn down before reload.

Thoughts?
Do you have photos and info on the 7" oval adapter ? I'm interested in it .

If the fire is low you need to build it back up with bit . If you use anthracite you can just pile it on but bit needs to be worked up a little in this stove. Also make sure the corner flues are clear by making a little metal wire tool to keep them clear of ash . Build the fire back up a little bit at a time until its raging again like a wood fire would . Then pile the rest on and the corner flues will keep burning the volatiles on top. I think I have some better bit videos on my camera still ill see if I can upload some more to you tube .

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Mon. Aug. 05, 2013 1:46 am

"Do you have photos and info on the 7" oval adapter ? I'm interested in it ."

I'll try and get some photos posted in the next couple of days of the adapter. It was about $15, seems nicely made, and fits like a glove. I was going to try and beat a 6" piece of pipe into shape, but when I measured the required circumference, I was a few inches shy. I don't know if my stove collar on our 523 is a bit larger than yours or not.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Aug. 05, 2013 9:54 am

Kielanders wrote:"Do you have photos and info on the 7" oval adapter ? I'm interested in it ."

I'll try and get some photos posted in the next couple of days of the adapter. It was about $15, seems nicely made, and fits like a glove. I was going to try and beat a 6" piece of pipe into shape, but when I measured the required circumference, I was a few inches shy. I don't know if my stove collar on our 523 is a bit larger than yours or not.
The stove collar should be the same . Sorry about the last post I realized you where asking how I light the fire as well . I do the same thing you do. Usually light a small wood fire and maybe put some logs on and then slowly add in the bit . I'm hoping to hook my WM in the garage soon and then I can make more videos of it. I just replaces the WM in my house for a Glenwood base heater .

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Tue. Aug. 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
Kielanders wrote:"Do you have photos and info on the 7" oval adapter ? I'm interested in it ."

The stove collar should be the same . Sorry about the last post I realized you where asking how I light the fire as well . I do the same thing you do. Usually light a small wood fire and maybe put some logs on and then slowly add in the bit . I'm hoping to hook my WM in the garage soon and then I can make more videos of it. I just replaces the WM in my house for a Glenwood base heater .
Smokey, here're some pictures of the oval adapter we bought.

Attachments

P1010078.JPG
.JPG | 100.3KB | P1010078.JPG
P1010079.JPG
.JPG | 71.5KB | P1010079.JPG
P1010080.JPG
.JPG | 117.1KB | P1010080.JPG

Stephen in Soky

Post by Stephen in Soky » Wed. Aug. 21, 2013 4:02 pm

What a great find. I find WM quite often but never anything new! I didn't have enough clearance for the straight sided WM so I went with a "Circulator" style. That rascal eats Kentucky bit like a fat chick eats pudding.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 21, 2013 4:38 pm

You don't want to say anything about fat chicks out here in Freetown SiS :clap: toothy

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”