A New Warm Morning

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 4:34 am

wsherrick wrote:You have done very well. This stove is designed to burn high volatile Bituminous Coal and it will do just that. It will be a vast improvement over what you have been forced to use. I'm glad you managed to get this in such good condition.
well this is all making much more sense to me now :lol: Its design is more for Bit than Antracite and those overhangs in the firebrick are indeed channels to allow air up around the firebed instead of through it (kind of a hybrid between a wood burning stove and an anthracite burning stove)... which as William says should allow you to burn Bit better then the stove you currently have ;) We cant really even get Bit up here unless you have a private stash of it left from an factory :lol:

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Wed. May. 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Did you get this stove yet Kielanders? Just curious how its working with AK coal.

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Mon. May. 13, 2013 3:52 am

rockwood wrote:Did you get this stove yet Kielanders? Just curious how its working with AK coal.
Yep, it's here. The former owner really did a great job packing it.

I need to get an oval to round adapter before I can install it.

I realized what is going on with the finish. If you look at the photo, you'll see it has a brown patina. The unit should be clean stainless.

In the owners manual, it says the exterior was coated with wax when shipped from the factory. The color must be from 30 year old wax that was never cleaned off.

I need to find something to clean/scrub the surface to remove it without damaging the finish on the stainless.

Attachments

0413031840.jpg
.JPG | 99.3KB | 0413031840.jpg

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. May. 13, 2013 6:17 am

worst case if you cant get it clean easy is you have a "brushed" stainless finish and just scotch brite the whole thing (not a bad thing at all since thats the "thing" to have in kitchens todays as well as being much more resistant to scratches in the future ;) )

You may want to try "goof off" to remove the wax first... if no luck with the goof off you can simply scotch brite it (they make wheels, pads, etc. with scotch brite just for this type of purpose).

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. May. 13, 2013 9:31 am

auto parts store....CRC brand brake cleaner.....or carb cleaner......dont spray it in your eye....

stay at a holiday inn express and steal the small washcloths, hand towels..... soak small washcloth area, rub stove, dry with hand towel...repeat......
then stainless steel cleaner.....grill dept low...ssssss.....or house despot 8-)

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Mon. May. 13, 2013 9:38 am

Acetone or brake parts cleaner just watch it cause it will remove paint.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. May. 13, 2013 9:42 am

yes if left on long enough it will... good tip I believe the stove is porcelain so should be good. if stove black then polish..

looks like the days of cosmoline from here... nice find!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. May. 13, 2013 9:44 am

I have never seen a Warm Morning with stainless, always plain steel. Just wipe down with paint thinner to remove wax or light stove and burn it off.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. May. 13, 2013 10:47 am

how bout more pics? front....

does that tin cover come off maybe?

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Mon. May. 13, 2013 12:58 pm

franco b wrote:I have never seen a Warm Morning with stainless, always plain steel. Just wipe down with paint thinner to remove wax or light stove and burn it off.
Thanks for the cleaning ideas.

Maybe it's not stainless, but I figured plain steel would rust too quickly.

In some of the old ads that I had for this model, the body sure looked bright and shiney, sort of retro 50s.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. May. 13, 2013 1:17 pm

It does look lightly rusted. If so give it a light sanding, and paint. What you see in the old ads as bright shiny metal is just that, unpainted metal.

Your model is somewhat different than those I have seen from the 1970 -80s. The bricks are different.

You should be able to squeeze a round pipe to fit the breech which is also reversible if you wish.

Attachments

Warm Morning.jpg
.JPG | 162.8KB | Warm Morning.jpg

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. May. 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Just clean that puppy off, then polish it up with some stove polish. Get a 2 foot section of stove pipe and force one end of it to comply with the stove collar. You might need a couple of extra hands to be ready with the screws to fasten it while you are holding it in place.

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Tue. May. 14, 2013 11:45 am

wsherrick wrote:Just clean that puppy off, then polish it up with some stove polish. Get a 2 foot section of stove pipe and force one end of it to comply with the stove collar. You might need a couple of extra hands to be ready with the screws to fasten it while you are holding it in place.
I just measured it before trying - it seems a 7" oval adapter is required (~22" circumference) and on order.

Doc S
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523R

Post by Doc S » Mon. Jul. 01, 2013 4:33 pm

:o Great Googamooga!!!!!!! So THAT'S what my 523 looked like when it was new! It sure doesn't look like that now, but still operates fine! I've had mine since 1979 - it still works, and is still 4 sale along with another 523.
FWIW, Doc

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 2:48 am

dcrane wrote:out of curiouslty how do all those sq"'s of corner space shake :shock: There is almost as much sq" of non functioning grate as there is functioning grate :eek2:
I bet she burns wood great! but I'd be interested in seeing her burn 100 lbs of coal after the first 100lbs of coal has burned and how you remove the unburned coal that builds in the "dead spots" after time?

Either way they sure sold em' like hotcakes back in the day and they represent a segment of the coal stove market from well prior to the oil crisis but well after the industrial rev. (huge leaps in coal design in 1900 and then more good leaps in coal design in 1979 in modern coal stoves), I think Warm Morning missed both (but thats cetainly in pristine condition... and a great museam peice!).
This is the same design as the 414a just it's the 100lbs vs the 40lbs . Burning bit is no problem burning wood is no problem but both have decreased burn times . Burning anthracite will last a few weeks and then you have to shut it down and dump the unburnt coal and restart it all over again. The times became progressively shorter until eventually it won't hold even 8 hours . Of course the 523 has a lot longer burn times to start with. These stoves are amazing and I am keeping the two I have to heat my garage and whatever other building I decide . It is an amazing size stove for a room and packs a big punch of heat! Enjoy this stove .
If you need any tips or help feel free to give me a shout. This one looks to be in amazing condition . I have a few you tube videos on the 414a if you are interested just search for "guntoatin" on YouTube . You can also make a special tool to get in those corners for the hard coal burning . I had been searching for a 523 for a long time and if I ever come across one for a good price I may get it .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”