Still Burning?

Coal-Chub-E
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by Coal-Chub-E » Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 1:23 pm

I used to think the one match club was an honor to be a part of, then I got to thinking about it....I guess in order to join the "one match" club you either 1) don't work, 2) don't have much a social life outside the home, or 3) don't take winter vacations to warm sunny places, or cold snowy places. Oh well, since none of the three apply to me, I guess I'll have to be happy with "one match pack" club. :D

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Coal-Chub-E wrote:I used to think the one match club was an honor to be a part of, then I got to thinking about it....I guess in order to join the "one match" club you either 1) don't work, 2) don't have much a social life outside the home, or 3) don't take winter vacations to warm sunny places, or cold snowy places. Oh well, since none of the three apply to me, I guess I'll have to be happy with "one match pack" club. :D
Welcome to the multi match club, and remember everyone else is just a match away! :P :lol:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Im still burning here too. It will be close to 50 the rest of this week so I am playing around trying to learn how to run my stove lower. If it goes out Im done for the year, switching to wood or LP. I could have easily went one match but I did a clean down mid winter. I got my stove really dialed in now but do wish I had a smaller one like a jotul 507 or crane cooker to play with too. Last year I think I averaged 33 pounds a day and I'll be somewhere around 43 or 44 this year, I think.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Coal-Chub-E wrote:I used to think the one match club was an honor to be a part of, then I got to thinking about it....I guess in order to join the "one match" club you either 1) don't work, 2) don't have much a social life outside the home, or 3) don't take winter vacations to warm sunny places, or cold snowy places. Oh well, since none of the three apply to me, I guess I'll have to be happy with "one match pack" club. :D
WOW bold statement... :nono: :stfu:

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Coal-Chub-E,I think you have a small package compared to the rest of us :P.
IMG_1572.JPG
.JPG | 128.4KB | IMG_1572.JPG
reloaded 24 Hrs ago, just shook it down and it will still go another 24Hrs at 400*.Keepaeyeonit :D

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 10:26 pm

still burning, got another 900# nut saturday, plus theres about 500# pea left. Temps fluctuate too much in evenings to shut down right now, will keep it burning for a few more weeks, all depends on nite time temp lows. As long as its in low 20's>30* in Am I am gonna burn, daytime highs just mean more idle burn time, less coal used.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 5:03 am

I'm out. I lost the draft yesterday in the heat and couldn't revive the fire although I tried. I chose not to restart but turned on the whole house NGas since it's not supposed to drop below 35* from here on out. We are gonna be in the high sixty's over the weekend. I'm already looking for November. ;)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 5:23 am

There are a few other possibilities....

4. Your significant other and friends are trained to tend the coal fire in your absence.

5. You have a stoker. Mine has been burning since last July...one match. I intend to give it a quick cleaning in a few weeks, but I will keep the fire alive.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 6:09 am

... but Rob don't forget number 6 ... you are a liar. I'm still in the one match club.... :yearight:

Fritzi

Post by Fritzi » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 7:46 am

Still going strong on the first fire I lit, the day after the insert was installed. Early December. Couldn't be happier with the performance, the $aving$ and the ease of operation. Wish I would have done it YEARS ago. :-P We've gone away on a few overnight visits to friends and family, the longest of which was 30 hours away from the stove. Loaded it up with every once that would fit and dialed it down as low as I thought it would run. (I've since learned it will run even lower. ;-) ) Opened the front door of the house on our return and felt the warmth. :-D Had a nice glowing bed of coals. Gave it a good shake, dialed it up and put on some fresh rocks. I plan to keep it running for at least a week, and keep an eye on the weather after that. Best guess is that I've burned about a ton and a half, probably a little less. LOVING IT!!!!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 8:08 am

30 hour burn. Sweet! I'll be tending once every 24 when temps let into 40-50 degree range :-)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 9:29 am

I'll probably shut down and clean out for the season this weekend sometime. We are supposed to hit mid-60's and then get warmer next week. I am sure we will get some much cooler / damp weather but the furnace or using the kitchen oven can take the chill off as needed.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 9:47 am

20 deg here this am aint about to shut down yet.. been re loading the coal bin past few weeks , one more ton and ill be ready for next year...dont like shoveling in the summer heat...oh and by the way I am still in the 2 match club, due to my jan thaw clean out/up...

Coal-Chub-E
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by Coal-Chub-E » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 10:33 am

Hey guys, I meant no disrespect, more of a jab at myself. This is my 1st year burning coal and afterall, if it wasnt for you all, I would have never been able to get an overnight burn. Now, 3 weeks was my longest fire to date!!! Just loaded my last of the season coal last night, once she goes out, I'm done till November. 70 degree temps are right around the corner. Time to turn my attention to my boats and fishing/crabbing!! Again, thanks to all of you guys for giving me the knowledge to have a very successful 1st coal burn season!! I'll definatley be back next year.

Eric
Last edited by Coal-Chub-E on Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 10:37 am

Let mine go out last Friday ... but after 3 nights with the house at 56°, I lit up again on Monday. :mad:

Take a look at the indoor temp! :shock: Friggin' weather! :mad: :mad:

It had better warm up soon. I have like 6 bags of coal left .... :|

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”