Still Burning?

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Well, I'm throwing in the towel for this year. Posted last night I planned to throttle the stove back for the next 3-4 days in anticipation of the cooler temps coming Friday. But it got up to 78 here today (Accuweather was calling for 68) and forecast for next three days is 76, 82, 77 with nights in mid to high 50s.

Today it was really warm in the house, had windows open all over and still very warm. I'd throttle back more if I could be here through the day to watch the draft, but I don't think my boss would like that.

So, tonight I used my fireplace shovel to pull as much coal as I could out of the hopper, and put it back in the coal bucket. Then shook the stove pretty hard. Still have a good firebed, but I'll shake it again in the morning and probably will be out by tomorrow night. :(

Debating whether to leave the stove pipe on a couple days and relight if it does it cooler, but should probably tear down and clean before any moisture builds up.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Still have the DS just *barely* idling along, since they're calling for cooler temps this coming weekend. House temp is 74 degrees. The hottest spot on the DS is 240 degrees, right behind the loading door. Out at the corners of the top plate of the stove are about 145, I can just barely keep my hand on it. The stack temp is right about 100 degrees. I'm using about 15 lb of coal per day idling, and it's still doing a great job keeping my basement dry!

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 11:49 pm

My draft is still kicken pretty good so im gonna keep pushin through these next warm days. This weekend's noaa forecast for 18614 shows some darn chilly temps. An added bonus with the stove runnin I wont need to plug in the dehumidifiers.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Apr. 09, 2013 6:30 am

Still Burnin....The LL Econo1 idled down to 175 measured above the door. The highs the next two days are gonna be up there but it will be chilly again by the weekend. Momma likes to stay warm don't cha know! Will use windowstats as required.

Tue 77°61°
Wed 79°55°
Thu 70°48°
Fri 66°43°
Sat 54°36°
Sun 57°41°
Mon 72°55°
Tue 68°50°

Rev. Larry

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Apr. 09, 2013 6:35 am

Lightning wrote:
I'm On Fire wrote:I shook the stove down this morning, but didn't put coal in it. Figured I was going to shut down; but that was before I checked the weather.
Same here, gonna idle thru a few warm days. Lowest I've seen is a .01" WC of negative pressure on the mano or better running 25-35 pounds a day. Keeping the secondary air open at 75% and the coal chute door open a few inches to help sustain draft when its in the mid 60's outside. After a few warm days I see a stretch of 45-50 degree days for highs.
I had my son bring in a few bags of pea yesterday but then I decides to just shut down.

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Tue. Apr. 09, 2013 10:11 pm

LDPosse wrote:Still have the DS just *barely* idling along, since they're calling for cooler temps this coming weekend. House temp is 74 degrees. The hottest spot on the DS is 240 degrees, right behind the loading door. Out at the corners of the top plate of the stove are about 145, I can just barely keep my hand on it. The stack temp is right about 100 degrees. I'm using about 15 lb of coal per day idling, and it's still doing a great job keeping my basement dry!
Yeah, I think by Friday/Saturday I'll be wishing I'd done this. Was up to 80 here today, and even with windows open house was way too warm when I got home. Final shakedown tonight will put it out. If I could have been home during a couple of these warm days I'd have tried to cut it way back and then "keepaeyeonit." :D As it was, even with the warm temps, what was left of the fire was still idling along when I got home, so I guess it would have been fine if I'd kept loading and just cut it way back. Oh well, there's always next year.

Just out of curiousity, LDP, where's your thermo draft control set?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Apr. 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Just light my stove back up this morning. Forecast looks rainy and damp into the weekend. This weather is crazy, 80 on Tuesday and now it's struggling to break 50! Down to my last 200 pounds, hopefully I could make it stretch. I may have to break into the wood stack... :no1:

63roundbadge

Post by 63roundbadge » Thu. Apr. 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Alaska Kodiak idling at 140, just enough to keep the chill out. By turning off fans, the radiant factor is just right. Had record 86 high here yesterday, house peaked at 76. Only need to shake it every 24 hrs. at this rate. Ya gotta love it!

gizmo
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Pea
Other Heating: NONE

Post by gizmo » Thu. Apr. 11, 2013 2:57 pm

My AA 130 is still running.We received
6" of snow last night.It is barely 30 degrees
outside.I figure it can't be 70 inside if it's
30 outside.Happy to keep it running.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Apr. 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Is it fair for someone like me who burns year round to generate my homes hot water (DHW) to chime in and say I'm still burning?

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Thu. Apr. 11, 2013 9:12 pm

My stove has had a very small dot of red surrounded by a ton of ash for the past three days. I checked the temp this afternoon when I got home from work. 115*. Then the sun went down, it's now 37* and the house is 69* currently. Which meas it'll be maybe a little over 50* when I get up tomorrow.

Too cold for me. I threw a few shovel fulls of pea in it. It seems to be catching. Maybe I can get a few more days out of it. I don't think I'm going to fill the fire box. Probably just enough to get a day out of it. I knew it was too soon. But those few 80* days really screwed me up.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Apr. 11, 2013 10:30 pm

I'm done with the wood. Officially burning coal as of this morning. My house is now 70° .. and it's 38° outside and falling by the minute. :dancing:

Only have 4 bags left. That should get me through this cold snap, then should be cleaning it out soon afterward. Forecast for next Tuesday? 78°!! Wednesday 85°!! Gotta love New England weather! :lol:

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Apr. 12, 2013 6:37 am

Smitty, I too think I'm going to relight officially. I tossed 6 small shovels of pea on the dying fire last night and I am surprised its still burning this morning. I was going to put more on it but there is just too much ash. Tonight I'll come home and clean it out and restart with just pea. All next week is supposed to be in the low 50s and 40s whith temps in the 30s at night.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Fri. Apr. 12, 2013 3:54 pm

SMITTY wrote:I'm done with the wood. Officially burning coal as of this morning. My house is now 70° .. and it's 38° outside and falling by the minute. :dancing:

Only have 4 bags left. That should get me through this cold snap, then should be cleaning it out soon afterward. Forecast for next Tuesday? 78°!! Wednesday 85°!! Gotta love New England weather! :lol:
What the hell weather channel you looking at fella? Lay down the pipe my friend.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Apr. 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Hell yeah I am still burning. On the way to work it was 32 degrees, snowing and blowing, and finally sleeting. I guess I am burning about 40 lbs per day...on track to hit 7.5 tons by May 1st.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”