Still Burning?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 6:41 pm

It was down in the Teens up here last night, so yes. I have just put some coal on the Glenwood and in a few minutes it will get its daily shake. It didn't get out of the upper '30's yesterday, but today it is in the '40's. I still have a while to go before the fires are out for the season. Last year I had to have a fire in early June as it got down into the upper 30's for a night or two.
That's the latest I've had to heat here so far. Normally the last fire is sometime in May.

pine grove coal user
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1980
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea, from Little Buck mine
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

Post by pine grove coal user » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm burning until May 8 or so. That's what I did last year and I think we'll need heat into May. As long as nights go below 50, I'm going to keep burning. If it gets too warm, we'll open more windows. As I told my wife, I'd rather waste some coal heat than to use any oil heat! I get depressed when the fire goes out.
Once I get my TARM boiler installed (which is fully insulated), I'm going to try to burn all year long. That way I can be happy all year long!

Trry

Post by Trry » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 10:19 pm

For the past three weeks I have been switching between wood left from two years ago and coal purchased this past Autumn, depending on the weather. Spring is coming on very slowly around here, as Freetown Fred can attest to, we live in the same area of NY state. The cold part.
I learned a lot about burning my Godin Round this first year with it. Firstly, it heats like a boss! It was so nice to walk into my house in the evening after a hard day and long drive and feel the warmth greet me every night. I did not have a one match year, simply because it is a right b@#ch to get that funky stove to shake out and maintain. I would go about two to three weeks, but then I would do a clean out. First because I had to, then because I knew I would have to. So every second or third Saturday I just let it die and clean it out. Not complaining, just saying. I like that stove a lot. It never let me down by going cold suddenly or unexpectedly.
Anyway, I will keep that Godin, I plan on moving to a larger house in the fall, where it gets even colder, so I am still on the hunt for a base burner or at least a larger stove. I have a coal insert in that house already, but it has fans, and I don't enjoy the hum. Its a good one, a Harmon, and it has been reliable for 20 years, but I still don't like the hum of the fans.
So, hopefully the 50's and 60's predicted next week will arrive and I will just burn the last of my old firewood in the Godin just as the weather gets mild. I used 2.5 tons of coal, and I think 2 will do it if learn a bit more about how the Godin works. Also, I am pretty sure my supplier gave me about half nut and half stove coal, I bought a half ton of bagged nut, and it was a lot more consistent in size and burned much better, plus was a lot easier to shake out. So, next year I am going back to my old supplier. This year I tried a new coal supplier. Again, not complaining, just saying. The coal I received would have been fine in my Harmon, it is more a matter of the grate system than the coal. But the supplier and the supply do make a difference.
So for this winter, which for me was a warm one, I guess the only thing left to do is wait a week or so and let the winter fires die out, unhook the flue, give the stove a round of maintenance and start thinking about planting the garden. Best wishes to all the folks here that offered advice and may the road come up to meet you.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Still burning, I just fill and empty and let the coal-trol worry about actual temps-1 match only, but not as significant with the
stoker vs the the manual. :)

scott611
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 508

Post by scott611 » Fri. Apr. 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Good to know I'm not the only one with my stove still going. After my first year of coal burning with my fathers stove that we never got to work right 20 years ago, I'm proud to say I'm in the one match club with it going continuously since Late November.

I filled the hopper this morning for what I believe will be the last time this season and I still have at least half a ton left. I thought I would use more than I did, I was figuring on the stove burning 40 lbs a day on cold days but I don't think I ever more than 30 in it a day, even on the coldest of days. My wife loved the coal and wants to replace the woodstove upstairs with a coal insert. I may have to oblige.

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Fri. Apr. 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Still burning here in south central PA. Accuweather calling for temps in mid 60s most of next week except Tuesday is 71. Night temps mid 40s to low 50s.

I'm going to see if I can keep the DS 1500 throttled back enough to keep the house comfortable during the day without opening windows, and without losing draft. Then will shut down and clean next weekend. Following week is calling for temps in 70s, so next week will probably be it for me.

Like others, I'm gonna miss the fire till November (or maybe only October, if it's like the last couple years :D)

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Apr. 05, 2013 11:44 pm

I put my last bag of coal in the DS 1400 today. This will be the last night of burning and it's supposed to drop to 27. Some warmer weather predicted for next week, so it's time to shut it down. It seems strange not to have a pile of coal bags on the back porch. Running constantly since late October. Used exactly 3 tons in that time.
I hate to start burning oil again for what heat I will still need but it shouldn't be for too long.
hank2

scott611
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 508

Post by scott611 » Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 7:50 pm

I came home from work this morning and looked at the stove, contemplating whether or not to let it go out or add some to keep it going. I woke up to the temps barely reaching the 50's today and kicking myself for letting the stove go out.

Oh well, I just lit it again for one last hoorah of the season. It didn't feel right sitting at my computer playing world of tanks, beer in hand, and no warmth from the stove.

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Sun. Apr. 07, 2013 11:43 am

scott611 wrote:I came home from work this morning and looked at the stove, contemplating whether or not to let it go out or add some to keep it going. I woke up to the temps barely reaching the 50's today and kicking myself for letting the stove go out.
I hear that. After I posted Friday night about staying lit for another week, I saw that Accuweather had updated their forecasts for next week to show several days reaching the 70s. I only put a half bucket in the hopper after shakedown, thinking I might let it go out this weekend after all. I was "this close."

Saturday was sunny and in the mid 50s here, but dang, it was still chilly when I was working outside. I was back-and-forth all day, but last night, at shakedown, I filled the hopper again and let it rip. I'm sticking with my original plan, keep it going till next weekend if possible. If we have to open a window, so be it. I don't want to hear the "heat pump" kicking on.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 7:51 am

So, I'm seeing temps are supposed to be in the mid to high 70's during the day and 40's-50's at night which makes me want to shut the stove down. Then I look a little further ahead to the weekend and it'll be high 40's-50's during the day and back into the 20's at night which tells me it may still be too soon to shut the stove down. Several days next week the temps are going to be lower too.

I shook the stove down this morning, but didn't put coal in it. Figured I was going to shut down; but that was before I checked the weather. Guess I'll switch to Pea now.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:I shook the stove down this morning, but didn't put coal in it. Figured I was going to shut down; but that was before I checked the weather.
Same here, gonna idle thru a few warm days. Lowest I've seen is a .01" WC of negative pressure on the mano or better running 25-35 pounds a day. Keeping the secondary air open at 75% and the coal chute door open a few inches to help sustain draft when its in the mid 60's outside. After a few warm days I see a stretch of 45-50 degree days for highs.

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Temps up to 68* here today, callin for low 50's tonite, stoked stove this morning, came home still burning,nut, gonna go get some pea, and start feeding it till warmer weather passes, do a range mix, nut, and pea mix. See what end of week.weekend brings. got aquastat turned down to 155-60*ish. will probably need to open idle slot a bit more with pea... for low draft.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Got everything shut down draft wise on the old Hitzer except one of two 5/16 drilled holes I drilled in the bi-metallic thermo flap. Keeps the old homestead at a nice 72* no matter what. Got a piece of aluminum tape over the other one. MPD closed, ash door slots closed, back flap closed---life is good :) Got up to 70* today

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 8:10 pm

We got up to 77 today outside and next 2 day close to 80,then cooling off again.75 downstairs and 74 upstairs with windows open,plan on shutting down end of this month.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Last of the nut went into the Harman on the 4th. It's all cleaned out and ready for the fall. Meanwhile the EFM is still happily providing occasional heat and endless hot water.
IMG_2147.jpg

Last of the nut.

.JPG | 184.1KB | IMG_2147.jpg
IMG_2172.jpg
.JPG | 126.2KB | IMG_2172.jpg

Attachments

IMG_2179.JPG

Full bin. Draft inducer running.

.JPG | 133.5KB | IMG_2179.JPG

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”