What Is It??? (Episode 3)

Post Reply
User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 6:47 am

made of heavy cast iron this lil' beauty is a fine accessory to any coal stove... what is it, what does it do? :lol:
MCS pic 2.JPG

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10375
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 8:40 am

dcrane wrote:made of heavy cast iron this lil' beauty is a fine accessory to any coal stove... what is it, what does it do? :lol:
MCS pic 2.JPG
Use that on the wife when she jams the grates causing you to dump the fire to clean out?

User avatar
michaelanthony
Member
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sat. Nov. 22, 2008 10:42 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: Coal Contractor's stove, a little Kimmels 'nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace
Location: millinocket,me.
Contact:

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 8:55 am

dcrane wrote:... what is it, what does it do? :lol:
reminds me of a konniphillar pin reset device.

CoaLen
Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed. Apr. 09, 2008 7:05 am
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice
Location: Geauga County, NE Ohio

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 9:50 am

Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates :confused:

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 10:07 am

Flyer5 wrote:
dcrane wrote:made of heavy cast iron this lil' beauty is a fine accessory to any coal stove... what is it, what does it do? :lol:
MCS pic 2.JPG
Use that on the wife when she jams the grates causing you to dump the fire to clean out?
flyer is closest so far believe it or not :P

@ Coalen... Until we have a "Riddle" section we'll call it a debate :lol:

Visit Hitzer Stoves

User avatar
michaelanthony
Member
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sat. Nov. 22, 2008 10:42 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: Coal Contractor's stove, a little Kimmels 'nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace
Location: millinocket,me.
Contact:

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 11:04 am

Appears to have an air inlet spinner @ one end and threaded adjustments at multiple locations and a weight of particular proportion at the other end. hmmmm.

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 11:17 am

michaelanthony wrote:Appears to have an air inlet spinner @ one end and threaded adjustments at multiple locations and a weight of particular proportion at the other end. hmmmm.
yes!!! this guy is on the right track for sure ;) what is it and whats it used for?

franco b
Site Moderator
Posts: 8570
Joined: Wed. Nov. 05, 2008 5:11 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea
Location: Kent CT

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 11:54 am

It is intended to be installed horizontally in the stove just above the fire to burn volatiles. Sort of a hot blast fixture. The lower part sits outside the stove and the upper part above the fire. The picture is very bad because the shadow of the piece interferes with identification. I had to download it and clean it up.
Attachments
MCS pic 2.JPG

User avatar
Lightning
Member
Posts: 8435
Joined: Wed. Nov. 16, 2011 9:51 am
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size
Location: Olean, NY

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Thats interesting. I've pondered about a perforated pipe running the length of the fire box that would hover just above the coal bed to evenly distribute secondary combustion air for a more efficient burn. I must think too much sometimes lol.

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 7:27 pm

franco b wrote:It is intended to be installed horizontally in the stove just above the fire to burn volatiles. Sort of a hot blast fixture. The lower part sits outside the stove and the upper part above the fire. The picture is very bad because the shadow of the piece interferes with identification. I had to download it and clean it up.
OMG you cheated!!! :lol: I purposefully made sure you could not read the photo and Mr. Franko Fantastic Film Fabricator somehow enhanced it :eek2:

Next Riddle i'll cover the name with something better :mad: hahaha.

Anyways.... well done, just to save all the questions about this product, Its a piece 0 chit and does nothing like its ads claim so don't go running out to buy one or drill holes in your stoves :lol:
Master Coal Saving Carb 2.JPG
Master Coal Saving Carb 3.JPG

Visit Hitzer Stoves

franco b
Site Moderator
Posts: 8570
Joined: Wed. Nov. 05, 2008 5:11 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea
Location: Kent CT

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 7:44 pm

I still could not read anything but with the shadows gone I could at least see how it was made.

Would be a nice feature of the forum if you could come up with more.

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 8:50 pm

franco b wrote:I still could not read anything but with the shadows gone I could at least see how it was made.

Would be a nice feature of the forum if you could come up with more.
Thanks Franco... either way that was toughy for sure ;) I'm sure theirs more stuff we can all find, If people keep a lookout for "funky" stuffs to add a lil' lighthearted fun to the forum :lol:

rberq
Member
Posts: 5048
Joined: Mon. Apr. 16, 2007 9:34 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane
Location: Central Maine

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 8:52 pm

dcrane wrote:its a piece 0 chit and does nothing like its ads claim
Looks like it should work. Why do you say it doesn't?

Incidentally, my idea for avoiding explosions is to run a wire filament above the coal bed, heat it red hot with with electricity, so the gases will be ignited before they reach the explosive point. Maybe combine it with the piece O chit, Amazon can sell them together as a kit.

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 9:04 pm

rberq wrote:
dcrane wrote:its a piece 0 chit and does nothing like its ads claim
Looks like it should work. Why do you say it doesn't?

Incidentally, my idea for avoiding explosions is to run a wire filament above the coal bed, heat it red hot with with electricity, so the gases will be ignited before they reach the explosive point. Maybe combine it with the piece O chit, Amazon can sell them together as a kit.
well... I should not say it doesn't but rather it does not in a more modern, quality coal burning stove. Im sure the claim that it eliminates clinkers is false across the board (that has more to do with the quality of coal and design of the coal stove), anyways... its essentially adding secondary air above the coal bed, cooler air (most coal stoves do this already using warmer air that rises around the coal bed first), The same can be done simply by drilling a hole in your stove above the firebox (I guess alot of antique stoves have this feature build in for Bit burning, etc.) I guess if it really did what it says we would ALL be using them today :lol:

Post Reply

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”