Reccomendatrions for a Used Small Hand Fired Stove

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Mar. 03, 2013 6:28 pm

I do believe the top trim is only decorative.

Here is your stove all gussied up. It is called "comfort Heater"

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Mar. 03, 2013 6:49 pm

franco b wrote:I do believe the top trim is only decorative.

Here is your stove all gussied up. It is called "comfort Heater"

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Sure is pretty!
I am assuming you would put a manual damper on the outlet so it is not a straight shot from the top of the coal to the top of the chimney.
Are these types of stoves reasonably good with coal consumption vs. heat output?

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sun. Mar. 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Yes, a manual damper would be good and if you have really high draft maybe a barometric damper as well.

Stack temperatures at low burning rates can be reasonable but can rise pretty rapidly at higher burn rates. The addition of a baffle might help. This is why models with extended flue passages were designed.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Mar. 03, 2013 9:14 pm

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 1:18 am

The stove is a Comfort Oak. I believe it was made in Cleveland Ohio. It is a low priced, basic oak, direct draft stove. They are very common. There are much better quality stoves out there to be had if you are looking.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 10:30 am

wsherrick wrote:The stove is a Comfort Oak. I believe it was made in Cleveland Ohio. It is a low priced, basic oak, direct draft stove. They are very common. There are much better quality stoves out there to be had if you are looking.
do you have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive stove that could be found in repairable condition or working condition? I nned to heat a small house in CT All of the really good ones around here are collector items and the asking price is really big money typically 2000 to 3500 dollars and wildly out of budget no matter how good they are. I only have a combined run of flue pipe and class a metal chimney of 15 feet and there is no way to make it much taller without historical zoning getting on me to not do it. It draws just fine on my small wood stove currently though have never measured the draft to be honest.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 3:01 pm

wsherrick wrote:The stove is a Comfort Oak. I believe it was made in Cleveland Ohio. It is a low priced, basic oak, direct draft stove. They are very common. There are much better quality stoves out there to be had if you are looking.
I did want to offend some people so I kept my mouth shut... but since its ALL his fault^^^ Im going to totally agree with him, Comfort coal/wood stove is horrible (did I say HORRIBLE!)... angled firepot, thin gauge, super cheapo coal stove that will not remain airtight long (frankly, id be scared to burn anthracite in it at my home...the few times ive used them were test runs outside). They are a pretty to look at though :P ...the chrome peices are not intrigaul to the stoves function and come on and off easy (why many are lost over the years).

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Honest opinion a good thing If 'horrible' a fair description then good to know and walk away from. I am less than PC so tell it like it is. I want heat and will stugggle with the wood for the rest of this year but want a solution for next just can not afford the 'collector edition stoves..
dave

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 3:35 pm

ddahlgren wrote:Honest opinion a good thing If 'horrible' a fair description then good to know and walk away from. I am less than PC so tell it like it is. I want heat and will stugggle with the wood for the rest of this year but want a solution for next just can not afford the 'collector edition stoves..
dave
You have plenty of time and their is plenty of great quality units for very short money... no worries

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 3:57 pm

dcrane wrote:
ddahlgren wrote:Honest opinion a good thing If 'horrible' a fair description then good to know and walk away from. I am less than PC so tell it like it is. I want heat and will stugggle with the wood for the rest of this year but want a solution for next just can not afford the 'collector edition stoves..
dave
You have plenty of time and their is plenty of great quality units for very short money... no worries
I have yet to find them but will keep my eyes open!

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 3:57 pm

I agree with dcrane. You can get a perfectly usable stove for $300 or less. My first choice in that price range would be a Chubby and buy the new style shaker. Russo made a solid stove also. Harman and Hitzer will be more like $500 with my preference being Hitzer because of the thermostat and hopper. A Crane 44 will be under 200.

Prices will be lower in the summer and with people moving, often stoves can be bought cheaply. A stove with rectangular fire box will also be better for wood.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 4:20 pm

ddahlgren wrote:
dcrane wrote: You have plenty of time and their is plenty of great quality units for very short money... no worries
I have yet to find them but will keep my eyes open!
You may have said this already but im unsure of your location? I can tell you that when I was searching for a crane 404 and made it known... my PM box was flooded every other day with members sending me links from Maine to Conn of people selling 404's, try to fill out your location on your profile and I bet people will have their eyes peeled for you. ;)

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 9:15 pm

SE CT 5 miles from RI and 500 ft from Fishers Island sound, Mystic a tourist town and the house once on the wrong side of the tracks now in the ;high rent district'..

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Craigs list is your friend... Garage sales can also be great... we're in March. You don't need the stove for another 7 or 8 months... Take your time and look. Learn as much as you can here and take that knowledge in your search...

dj

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Mar. 04, 2013 11:43 pm

dlj wrote:Craigs list is your friend... Garage sales can also be great... we're in March. You don't need the stove for another 7 or 8 months... Take your time and look. Learn as much as you can here and take that knowledge in your search...

dj
Will do on the learning I read a lot more than I write..LOL..

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”