Mini Stove

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
plumb-r
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 Energy Master I Stoker

Post Thu. Feb. 21, 2013 5:56 pm

I was looking into getting a mini coal stove, called a tiny tot, made by Fatsco. After a few e-mails I have found out that the fire pit is cast iron and has no fire brick. My question is will this hold up to anthracite, or will I burn it out? Please don't laugh, I have a girly man's stove and don't know anything about a hand fed. :)

grumpy

Post Thu. Feb. 21, 2013 6:00 pm

It will for awhile, just put a liner in there....

blrman07
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

Post Thu. Feb. 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Brand new the stove is under 400 bucks. The entire stove is only about a foot high. You would have to cut brick to get it in the thing. If you want a liner get the castable refractory and put some type of liner in it.
Rev. Larry
Ashland Pa.

1 John 1:9... If we sin and we confess that sin He is faithful and just and will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Vangellis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Olix Air Flo
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Stove/Furnace Model: Hudson Wood/Coal Burning

Post Thu. Feb. 21, 2013 11:18 pm

Kind of interesting. Looks like it's popular with the boating folks.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?154768 ... -Tot-stove

Kevin
Last edited by Vangellis on Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you !

beemerboy
Stove/Furnace Make: SAEY
Stove/Furnace Model: Hannover 1

Post Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 12:20 am

I would suggest that you don't burn anthracite coal in it. According to the brochure, this stove is designed to burn hardwood or charcoal briquettes only. Looking at the pictures, it looks like the stove isn't very air tight.

http://www.fatscostoves.com/images/brochure.pdf
"All I need on my journey is a wooded path, a dog by side to guide me home and a bench to sit on when I get tired." - Wayne, 2012.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 5:10 am

well well now... this is funny because we used to own many sailboats and ive used many boat stoves in my youth... these were great lil' units but these are not really for a home (or even a room), they are for boats, cars, RV's, etc. They are thin to be sure and put out very swift heat in a small area. You cant use anthracite (well, maybe you could burn a few peices in the middle but we all know anthracite wont burn like this :lol: ), if you filled the pot with anthracite it would make this lil' guy buckle, twist and fold up like a cheap suitcase. Edey & Duff made a quality cast iron unit you might get away with it in, but ive seen them all and the best one I ever used was called a Shipmate and if I were looking for a product like this I would search high and low until I got my hands on a shipmate!!!

EDIT: found it... the one I used was acually called a "Skippy"
SkippyDetail.jpg
they appear to make them still http://www.shipmatestove.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=4 ... category=6 BUT...look at those prices :eek2:

Visit Hitzer Stoves

tinytot

Post Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 9:20 am

I've read that these stoves are to be used only with charcoal briquettes.

Are there thoughts out there as to why this might be? What about small hardwood strips?

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 11:11 am

Knowing the 'master plan' to some degree might help with suggestions.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Charcoal has no cresote and very low volitiles...wood strips have too much of both.
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

Davian
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Post Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 8:08 pm

McGiever wrote:Charcoal has no cresote and very low volitiles...wood strips have too much of both.
I like to use wood charcoal as my fire-starter actually. I think it burns a bit hotter than the something like Kingsford and thus I use less of it to get the real coal going.

Does anyone else use wood charcoal?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”