Can Anyone Identify This MorsØ Stove?

Ashokin
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. Machine Circulator 1500, Warm Morning 617-A, Morsø Universal 3227, U.S. Army Space Heater #1/Locke 120, 3-Chubby's
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82FA
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove, Pea, mostly Reading and Lehigh
Other Heating: Wood occasionally, Humphrey Radiantfire #31 parlor heater, Radiare Gas Bathroom Heater

Post by Ashokin » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Hello all. I bought a small coal stove this winter and am trying to find out if parts or an owners manual, etc are available, but no one seems to know what it is. I can find out nothing anywhere on the internet about it, not even on Danish websites. Here's a couple pics. The only markings are morsø, 155, and on the top shield is cast M3208. Nothing else. I even spoke to people in the UK and they emailed Morso and claim that they have never seen one before. I am completely confused as to why it says morsø, is definitely built to their quality standards, and yet everyone tells me its not a morsø. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

IMAG0046.jpg
.JPG | 25.9KB | IMAG0046.jpg
IMAG0045.jpg
.JPG | 46.3KB | IMAG0045.jpg
IMAG0047.jpg
.JPG | 46.7KB | IMAG0047.jpg

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Nope, never seen one like it before, wonder if it was a proto type that was never produced.

Bk

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 5:38 pm

looks like an old hitzer 55 :lol: anyways... their should be a label on like this...
morso label.jpg
.JPG | 102.8KB | morso label.jpg
I don't think they sold these in USA so parts im sure would be all but impossible.

Ashokin
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. Machine Circulator 1500, Warm Morning 617-A, Morsø Universal 3227, U.S. Army Space Heater #1/Locke 120, 3-Chubby's
Other Heating: Wood occasionally, Humphrey Radiantfire #31 parlor heater, Radiare Gas Bathroom Heater

Post by Ashokin » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Yup, no label or even holes where one was mounted. Really strange. Especially since Morso dealers are telling me it is not a morsø, even though their name is on the front and it uses their four digit m series casting numbers. Go figure.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 5:44 pm

I saw one of those on CL not too long ago. Perhaps that very stove.

Anyway I am pretty sure, as in 99.999999% it is a Morso but not one that was exported to the US. You should email Morso in Denmark and ask them yourself. Don't take the word of someone in the UK who said they asked someone. Do it yourself.

I owned a Morso wood stove for years and it was a great little unit. Morso makes quality products. Too bad the only coala stove they currently make is much to small for much besides living on a boat.

I will also dig around and see what I can find too.

this is an email address for Morso in Denmark: [email protected]
Last edited by ONEDOLLAR on Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashokin

Post by Ashokin » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 5:50 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:I saw one of those on CL not too long ago. Perhaps that very stove.

Anyway I am pretty sure, as in 99.999999% it is a Morso but not one that was exported to the US. You should email Morso in Denmark and ask them yourself. Don't take the word of someone in the UK who said they asked someone. Do it yourself.

I owned a Morso wood stove for years and it was a great little unit. Morso makes quality products. Too bad the only coala stove they currently make is much to small for much besides living on a boat.

I will also dig around and see what I can find too.
Thanks for looking. I'm certain it is, that's why I'm getting frustrated that all the dealers are saying it is not. And this one is pretty small, only thirty inches high and maybe holds 20 lbs of coal.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 6:01 pm

There is nothing in it for the dealers if you think about it. You already own the stove and they don't stock the parts. Not alot of incentive there. Not that all dealers think this way but many do. That is why I mentioned to go to the source. Ask Morso in Denmark directly. My gut tells me someone there will be able to help you.

Morso used to have all of their old stoves user manuals on line. Didn't see that link last time I was there though.

What part of the US are you in? I honestly saw that same stove on CL in either MA or NH.

Ashokin

Post by Ashokin » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 6:13 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:There is nothing in it for the dealers if you think about it. You already own the stove and they don't stock the parts. Not alot of incentive there. Not that all dealers think this way but many do. That is why I mentioned to go to the source. Ask Morso in Denmark directly. My gut tells me someone there will be able to help you.

Morso used to have all of their old stoves user manuals on line. Didn't see that link last time I was there though.

What part of the US are you in? I honestly saw that same stove on CL in either MA or NH.
Yes I know what you mean about the dealers. I'm right on the Md/pa line. The manual is really what I'm looking for, mainly so see their suggestions on firing and coal size. It is bridging a lot right now and I would like to try and fix that. And, honestly, in trying to find out about it, I have realty become curious as to its age and where it was marketed as well.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 6:34 pm

You also might want to post your question here... http://morsousa.blogspot.com/

Morso's official blog. You might be able to post a picture of the stove on the blog as well. Some blogs you can some you can't.

Hope this helps as I am curious about your stove as well. Someone up here in the New England area has the same stove as well so there are some of them around. What size coal are you burning BTW?

Ashokin

Post by Ashokin » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 7:43 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:
Hope this helps as I am curious about your stove as well. Someone up here in the New England area has the same stove as well so there are some of them around. What size coal are you burning BTW?
Thanks, I will try that blog. I've had it about a month now. Started with nut because that's what I burn in my warm morning. It was not shaking down well- chunks too large- switched to pea. Seems to be working better, though it still bridges a lot. It's like the weight of the coal in the box isn't enough to settle the fire as it burns. It is not very big, firebox is about a foot wide, ten inches deep and six or so from front to back. Throws a lot of heat though for its size.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Bridging will depend a great deal on the particular coal and the diameter of the fire pot. Most coal holds its shape when it turns to ash, so easily bridges the diameter of the fire box. A coal with softer ash will not bridge as easily.
Giving it a poke from above is easy enough.

Ashokin

Post by Ashokin » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 8:00 pm

franco b wrote:Bridging will depend a great deal on the particular coal and the diameter of the fire pot. Giving it a poke from above is easy enough.
Yes, I do poke it a bit, mainly from the bottom. It's just that I've burned round stoves and rectangular, but the rectangular ones I've had had rectangular grates, and this one has a six by twelve rectangular box with a little four inch round shakers grate in the center and a sloped bottom going to the sides. It burns well, just takes a lot more time to tend it than my warm morning or the other stoves I've had. And perhaps that's just how it was designed to be.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 8:02 pm

Ashokin

Since this was most likely a Euro stove, in Europe they burn a lot of coal "briquetts". Could be what the stove was designed to burn. So the "bridging" could be a semi normal thing when this stove burns American Anthracite. Just a thought. Though I was going to suggest using pea size and don't be afraid to give her a poke or two if needed. Once in while I get some bridging in my Chubby Jr and a poke or two from the bottom takes care of the issue most of the time.

Let us know what you find out and I will do some more digging as well.

Ashokin

Post by Ashokin » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 8:14 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Ashokin

Since this was most likely a Euro stove, in Europe they burn a lot of coal "briquetts". Could be what the stove was designed to burn. Let us know what you find out and I will do some more digging as well.
Yes, that's what I was beginning to wonder that got me started looking for an owners manual or some info on the stove. And I certainly will post anything I find out... Thanks all for the info so far...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 9:46 pm

I think the only way to get satisfactory ash clearing in that stove is to somehow provide a slot at grate level so you can slide a flat poker in there to break up the ash and get it to fall. That little 4 inch shaker wont do the job.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”