Sheet Metal on or Off

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post by Bruce M » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 9:07 am

What say you, Should I remove the sheet metal from my stove. It wraps around the the sides and back of the stove, I'm thinking it would heat the surrounding air more efficiently if I removed it but maybe I'm overlooking something. I think it was originally designed for an open plenum to be above the stove to sort of channel the hot air in the desired direction.
DS machine stove 1627;

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 10:01 am

The chimney effect generated by the sheet metal ,when removed, will be all but eliminated and the BTU output diminished. Convection is key.....I don't use a stove but I wouldnt do it. Fred, your tongue stuck to the flagpole again? :lol: Geez.... it was cold this am.

Waldo

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 10:02 am

My thought is the stove was designed for basement use with a plenum to direct warm air up or through vents in the above floor. Appearance was most likely second to function, that being said, removing the shroud shouldn't pose a problem and there is only one way to find out and putting the shroud back would be easy. If there is any concern from removing the screws you can plug the holes with the screws with out the shroud in place. Does your stove have a blower pushing warm air along the stove? If so, will it function effectively with out the shroud? The best part is finding out the best and safest way to heat with coal and operate our units, what ever kind they are. My hand fed stove burns coal more efficiently and stays cooler with the blower on. Maybe you an louver the shroud and have the best of both worlds :idea:

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 10:51 am

In two houses were I've run stoves, I noticed an increase in the air circulation when a back shield was installed on each of the stoves. Both stoves were radiant stoves, neither had an integrated circulating fan. What waldo lemieux said about loosing the chimney effect that encourages the air to move more quickly is something too look for if you try it without the attached system DS put on the 1627 unit.

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 11:07 am

Don't know the stove or your set-up but is (or was) the sheet metal used as a heat shield to reduce clearance to combustibles? In the current set-up is the stove far enough away, without the heat-shield, from anything that can burn?

KaptJaq

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 11:49 am

keep it unless the misses wants it gone :P The heat shield creats a pocket for air to be heated the hot air rises and cooler air from the floor draws up and is then heated. You will get more warm air with it but less radiant heat.

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 12:19 pm

You could try it and if removing the shroud doesn't work out to your satisfaction, put it back on.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 1:00 pm

My two cents: Sheet metal does three things.... it directs heated air into a plenum if you are doing so. It reduces the distance to combustible surfaces, and it keeps young fingers from getting burned. If you don't need it for one of these three, then try it both ways & use which feels better to you.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Heats air better with them on...
is the stove in the basement...
Mine is...
Keeps the heat up stairs where it belongs...
the basement stays reasonably warm...

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Feb. 19, 2013 6:40 am

keep it and try it...then it its bad (like your avitar :) ) then remove it.. 8-)

blue and orange is a much better color combo :roll:

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Tue. Feb. 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks for your opinions, I'll keep it on. I was just trying to optimize the stoves output, but really have no complaints thus far.

Poconoeagle; "blue and orange is a much better color combo" sounds like a prison jump suit color combination, fitting though. :P ;)
edit to ad; are they wearing the domino's pizza patch this year. lol

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Feb. 19, 2013 5:52 pm

KaptJaq wrote:Don't know the stove or your set-up but is (or was) the sheet metal used as a heat shield to reduce clearance to combustibles? In the current set-up is the stove far enough away, without the heat-shield, from anything that can burn?

KaptJaq
I tend to agree with Kapt's opinion here (it was most likely required for U/L listing) which is their to protect us. Is there any holes on the back side of this heat shroud or holes on the front or sides that would indicate a blower option being available for it?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Feb. 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Amish...
No blower for you...

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 8:30 am

To alter a manufacturer's equipment or design can have consequences,both practical and legal [insurance etc]. Just sayin. Mike

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 10:47 am

Well, I've responded to a couple of you here and my posts have been deleted some bow. There was absolutely nothing in them to get deleted, I was respectful in all my posts. Not sure why the deletes, mods got any ideas?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”