Why Cement Your Black Stove Pipe

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - (custom built by Jim Dorsey, Taunton MA - RIP 4/18/13)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (SOLD!)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 4:59 pm

joeq wrote:Wow Smitty, I didn't know you could buy 8" flex pipe for stoves. Looks like a handy component when necessary.
That's not flex - it's a solid corrugated 90° elbow made of 304 stainless steel. You couldn't bend this thing if you wanted to. ;)

The first year I bought it, I figured .. IT'S STAINLESS - no need to clean it! :lol: Has lots of tiny holes all over it from top to bottom. The acid ate right through in one season .... although not as bad as that black stovepipe - that collapsed into a rusty heap in one summer. At least this one is still usable. Now I remove, clean, & store upstairs every summer. Holes haven't got any bigger.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ...Such laws make things worse
for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to
encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with
greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in "On
Crimes and Punishment."

Visit Hitzer Stoves

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson
Stove/Furnace Make: Thermopride
Stove/Furnace Model: oil fired

Post Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 6:58 pm

What!?! Are you telling me my 6" black stove pipe in my foyer behind my stove, is gunna rust out in 1 year? I don't look forward to moving that stove every yr to change it. :mad:
I got coal in my Christmas stocking. (Yey!)
http://nepacrossroads.com/about36489.html

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 7:55 pm

I have no idea what Smitty does to his stove pipes.... I've run my black pipe for many years without a single problem to date...

dj

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 8:24 pm

I think I should seal every pipe joint and than install my barometric damper so my draft is cut by 20%. :P
Cap
Lehigh Twp.
Northampton Co., PA

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 12:49 am

The last couple times I replaced the pipe on my old stove, I did cement the joints. My chimney doesn't have the greatest draft on warmer days, and I wanted to make sure the chimney draft was pulling air through the stove, not through the leaky joints.

I also disassembled my pipe from the stove and chimney each spring to clean it. it's also important to store it in a dry area. From now on, mine is getting hung up in my garage for the summer.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 9:07 am

joeq wrote:What!?! Are you telling me my 6" black stove pipe in my foyer behind my stove, is gunna rust out in 1 year? I don't look forward to moving that stove every yr to change it. :mad:
Have you heard of the movie "A river runs through it"? That was filmed in Smittys basement. :lol: My black smoke pipe is 10 years old and still in very good conditon. I disconnect it from the boiler and chimney in the spring. Moisture (humidity) and coal ash equal corrrosion. All I do is take it outside and knock on the pipe to remove excess fly ash then store it in my basement.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

joeq

Post Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 9:25 am

As I mentioned before, my pipe goes out the back wall behind the stove, and can't be removed w/o moving the stove. If I have to move my stove again, it'll be to replace it with a better one. I just checked my hopper, which I once again let it get too low, and was glowing red hot. and the bottom mouth has distorted to a smaller dimension. such a pain to keep up with. Here's a pic of my set-up.

MarkV

Post Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 8:57 pm

My DS stove only has two 6" corrugated 90's and then about an 8" straight piece sticking into the thimble. That section has the MPD in it. The joint between the two 90's seems very tight, as is the joint between the second 90 and the straight section.

On my old setup with the Franco, I used the regular black pipe with two tees and one of those four-section "adjustable" 90s. The last couple times I put in new pipe, I cemented all the joints because I was concerned about draft loss. I figured I was already losing enough through my cheap baro damper, tees, and that adjustable 90 piece.

We have a mildly damp basement...no mold or mildew, but enough dampness to soak into any fly ash left in the stove or pipe and cause corrosion. In my early years of burning, I didn't remove the pipe from the thimble over the summer :o and let me tell you, the humid air, along with outright dampness when it rained, were enough to rot my pipe over the summer. I wised up and started removing the pipe, cleaning it outside, and storing it in a dry place. I also started running a dehumidifier in the basement during the summer months.

Still, even with all that, my pipe wasn't lasting more than 4-5 years at the most. This corrugated stuff looks a bit heaver and, I hope, might last longer with care.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

2DeXtreMe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: surdiac 715
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska & Surdiac
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III & 715

Post Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 3:55 am

joeq wrote:As I mentioned before, my pipe goes out the back wall behind the stove, and can't be removed w/o moving the stove. If I have to move my stove again, it'll be to replace it with a better one. I just checked my hopper, which I once again let it get too low, and was glowing red hot. and the bottom mouth has distorted to a smaller dimension. such a pain to keep up with. Here's a pic of my set-up.
Hi Joeq,

I recently started a thread for a Surdiac 715 I acquired. Will I Be Able to Burn the Surdiac 715 515?

Does your 513 outlet/flange measure 5.25" inner diameter? Is your reducer pipe mounted on the inner or outer side of the outlet/flange? Do you also burn wood on your 513? May I see how your hopper is setup in your stove? Also can I see a photo of your steel plates that is needed for wood burning?

joeq

Post Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Mr. extreme, PM sent.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 7:23 pm

When you (meaning any of you) say that you cemented your stove pipes, what sort of cement is being discussed here?
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

MarkV

Post Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Larry,

Here's what I use:
Imperial cement.jpg
Imperial cement
Imperial cement.jpg (8.77 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Before I found this stuff, I used a whitish cement that came in a caulking tube. It was almost impossible to squeeze out using a caulk gun, and it had a flat, almost plastery finish when it dried. Didn't last worth a toot--I filled a small hole in my old stove's exhaust port with it, and it only held for one season, then fell right out.

My local main-street hardware store guy recommended Imperial cement. It's much easier to work with out of the container, and it has a gritty, real cement (as in concrete) look and feel to it. You can thin it with water if you need to--I thinned it a bit to work it into the stove pipe joints. And it cleans up easy with water. Once it's dry, it's hard, and it sticks. Instructions recommend you dampen the adjoining surface(s) when applying. Patched the same hole in my old stove with this stuff, and it was still rock solid and holding tight after two heating seasons.

More info here: http://www.imperialgroup.ca/stove_maintenanceprod ... .cfm?c=325

2DeXtreMe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: surdiac 715
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska & Surdiac
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III & 715

Post Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Black Fur
lsayre wrote:When you (meaning any of you) say that you cemented your stove pipes, what sort of cement is being discussed here?
A simple tube of Rutland's Black furnace cement. It can be found in most hardware stores. It is rated for up to 2000*F,

oros35
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215
Stove/Furnace Make: Smith & Anthony Co.
Stove/Furnace Model: #215 Hub Heater

Post Thu. Feb. 14, 2013 9:05 am

I've used both of the above.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Thu. Feb. 14, 2013 11:57 am

oros35 wrote:I've used both of the above.
Which did you prefer?
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”