New DS 1500--Week 2 Report

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Sun. Feb. 03, 2013 10:51 am

Second week of burning the new DS 1500 brought some of the warmest daytime temps we've had in these parts in several years, during the heating season--after week 1 had the coldest temps we've had in several winters. Learned a lot about how this stove burns during these two weeks.

Contrary to my concerns, the DS burned right through the warm/damp days, with the thermostat turned back to 2.5 (had it just below 3 during the cold days) and MPD opened up some, to about 45*, to let more hot exhaust into the chimney and keep the stove a bit cooler so the house didn't overheat. With these settings, the coal consumption dropped from 50-60 lbs/day to 30-40. I hope this means I can keep the stove burning well during the shoulder months when the daytime temps are warmer.

One thing I've learned is that the thermostat control on the stove is super-sensitive. At 2.5, the stove was around 200* pipe/400* top of stove. At 3, it's usually 250*/525*-550*. DS says the stove shouldn't be burned over 600*.

It would be more helpful if the thermo setting ranged from, say, 2 to 4, to get that same temperature range. I think a chain adjustment might be needed on the thermostat/damper. Any suggestions?

I've tended the stove twice a day, early morning and early evening. At these intervals, the fire recovers quickly and blues return almost immediately after shaking--even on the warm, damp, low-temp days. Haven't done a shakedown yet where I saw any risk of puffback or explosion. I can see, though, how that could happen after a 24-hour shakedown. It's sure good to know that if I have to be away from early morning to late night, or even overnight, I don't have to worry about the stove burning out.

As I noted in another thread, I do have some ash buildup at the back of the firebox. It's helped somewhat by poking that area from below, but I'll have to get a longer poker to reach back there from the front door and try to break it up.

Bottom line, I'm very happy with the DS, and I feel (cautiously) confident I can keep it burning safely and effectively in my setup. Can't wait to get the next electric bill and see how much of a dent the coal burning has made vs. last month. The heat pump isn't cycling on/off nearly as much as it did when I burned the Franco--and the electric coil backup heat hasn't run at all, even on the coldest nights.

Thanks again for the help and ideas many of you have offered--I'm always ready for any additional thoughts or suggestions.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sun. Feb. 03, 2013 11:59 am

I've noticed the sensitivity of the t-stat as well, just something to get used to. The stove does a great job keeping a low burn going when it's warmer out. Mine has been running continuously since late october.

I talked with the folks at DS about the 600 degree limit. They said that is just a general guideline, that "It's not that critical, we don't ship them with thermometers". Being made of steel, the stove tends to get hot spots, especially when fresh coal has been added. I've seen spots on the stove flirt with 800 degrees the other week when it was cold, but that quickly drops back into the 500s once the coal bed matures.

MarkV

Post by MarkV » Sun. Feb. 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Someone on here talked to DS, and they said they measure their 600 degree limit at the rear center of the stove top, inboard from the flue outlet. I have one magnetic thermometer near there, but under the cover that comes down over the filler door. I've had it over 550* there a few times, and the stove definitely gives off a "hot metal" odor then. But I do think in colder temps than what we saw this past two weeks, I'd feel safe pushing it to 600 or maybe a little over, as measured there.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sun. Feb. 03, 2013 8:47 pm

MarkV wrote:Someone on here talked to DS, and they said they measure their 600 degree limit at the rear center of the stove top, inboard from the flue outlet. I have one magnetic thermometer near there, but under the cover that comes down over the filler door. I've had it over 550* there a few times, and the stove definitely gives off a "hot metal" odor then. But I do think in colder temps than what we saw this past two weeks, I'd feel safe pushing it to 600 or maybe a little over, as measured there.
Yeah that was me that talked to DS, and that's what they told me.

The first few times I got my stove into the higher end of that temp range, I would get that smell, I think it's just from the paint continuing to cure. I've noticed that smell has subsided on my stove.

ridgeracing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove

Post by ridgeracing » Sun. Feb. 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Mine had paint fumes till broken in at higher temps. I adjusted chain to 7th ball on chain. Reaches 550-600deg on #5 on dial and goes as low as 200 on 1 1/2, I never tried it lower yet, waiting till spring. I keep MPD closed 90% all the time, except when I want to run it over 500deg on settings above (4) I have to open dampner a bit more.
I like these settings, that way wife cant crank it up to high and overfire when I am not home to maintain. :P

MarkV

Post by MarkV » Mon. Feb. 04, 2013 11:45 am

ridgeracing wrote:Mine had paint fumes till broken in at higher temps. I adjusted chain to 7th ball on chain. Reaches 550-600deg on #5 on dial and goes as low as 200 on 1 1/2, I never tried it lower yet, waiting till spring. I keep MPD closed 90% all the time, except when I want to run it over 500deg on settings above (4) I have to open dampner a bit more.
I like these settings, that way wife cant crank it up to high and overfire when I am not home to maintain. :P
Ridge, thanks for the details. I will try that at some point soon. I was just starting to think along the lines that the bimetal might have a longer "travel range" if you adjusted it so a given setting was higher on the thermo dial, but wasn't sure what that would translate to in a chain adjustment.

What you suggest would change the relationship between chain travel and bimetal movement, it appears.

If I set my thermo on 5 right now, I'd expect stovetop temps over 700*, based on what I see at a little over 3.

That would make the stove more wife-friendly. :) If we have an unexpected weather change, my better half could handle a reset from, say, 4 down to 3.5 or 3.

Change from 3 to 2.9, not so much... :D

ridgeracing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove

Post by ridgeracing » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 6:08 am

In my opinion, If you are getting a 500deg. stove temp on number 3 on dial, I would lengthen chain. At that setting I would think a dial setting of 4 would run over 600deg. stove temp, not to mention what 5 (max) would be!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”