Cracked Fire Bricks

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
Stngllhm
Stove/Furnace Make: US Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: Hot Blast 1557m

Post Thu. Jan. 31, 2013 9:10 am

So I notice I have a few cracked fire bricks in my us stove Hotblast I'm assuming its from the bigger chunks of coal I have thrown in a couple have been shaved down on there way through the door. I'm not too worried about them I figure the crack is still I tighter fit then gaps between bricks. Is this the right attitude to have towards it I figured I would just change them out when I shut her down for the season.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post Thu. Jan. 31, 2013 9:14 am

u figured right, just keep an eye on em...

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Thu. Jan. 31, 2013 9:16 am

I'm sure it will be fine till shutdown,but keep an eye on them as not to let the broken one fall out.If so,just pull the coals to one side and dig the broken one out and replace.
Are they standard fire brick,if so get a few on hand.If they are angled refactory brick order them and have them ready for replacement

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Stngllhm
Stove/Furnace Make: US Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: Hot Blast 1557m

Post Thu. Jan. 31, 2013 9:40 am

They are just standard fire bricks there are a few places in town to get them

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Thu. Jan. 31, 2013 6:23 pm

I found them for $3.00 each, they came in boxes of 6 so I bought 2 of them. They are a common fire brick, I see them at the Tractor Supply store, and a Worth W Smith store, I think Home Depot might have them too. I bought my Clayton 1537G used, 8 years old. Had all the original fire bricks in it all cracked from wood abuse. Some in 4 or 5 pieces but all of them were retaining their shape and were tight. I burned my first year with it like that, then replaced them for this year. 8-)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”