michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 1:11 pm

NoSmoke wrote:
If you need a stove repair shop, there is one in Thorndike called Bryants Stove Works who has parts.
Good call, they have a crap load of stoves and only show a handful on their site, I would bet dollars to donuts, they would even have a door for you!.....boy those stoves look sweet, been showing the wife, trying to get an antique coal insert for my living room fireplace....life complete....almost. :roll:

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 9:53 pm

i got the door off! then I found a crack in the fire pot....this is going to cost a fortune, I bet

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 9:58 pm

If the firepot has a crack in it, what do you do for that?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Cracked fire pots are very common. The fire pot was considered a wear part. You have to send off the original fire pot to a foundry and they will cast a new one for you. Tomahawk Foundry in Michigan is the best in the business. All of the professionals use them for castings.
It won't cost as much as you think it will.

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 10:08 pm

I am so glad you responded, I am so depressed after finding that crack. are you getting my private emails? I still don't know how to use this site very well.
I sent you a pm earlier today but I think I deleted it before it got to you. do I mail off the firepot? what about Auburn Foundry in maine? I just don't know enough to take on this project. I want it done right so I can use the stove.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 10:17 pm

nikonmom wrote:I am so glad you responded, I am so depressed after finding that crack. are you getting my private emails? I still don't know how to use this site very well.
I sent you a pm earlier today but I think I deleted it before it got to you. do I mail off the firepot? what about Auburn Foundry in maine? I just don't know enough to take on this project. I want it done right so I can use the stove.
Yes, you pack it up nicely and ship it to Tomahawk. Auburn is very slow to get work out. Tomahawk is the best. The casting will be a perfect match and you'll get it back in a short time. We are here to help you along the way, so don't worry.

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 10:27 pm

well, they might as well cast a door for me, too, right? how do I get the firepot off? Good Heavens this is getting complicated and I am scared to death of the price.

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Will, it says on the tomahawk website that the door will be smaller when I get it back due to shrinkage. I was told that it wouldnt fit if that is the case. It needs to be airtight. I am going nuts.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 3:23 am

There is slight shrinkage. You should call them and ask about the door. The firepot it is not a problem.

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 7:14 am

Steve how do I get the firepot off? I don't know what I am doing....

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 7:46 am

nikonmom wrote:Will, it says on the tomahawk website that the door will be smaller when I get it back due to shrinkage. I was told that it wouldnt fit if that is the case. It needs to be airtight. I am going nuts.
Sorry to read about your troubles. Like most problems on this forum, there are solutions and plenty of suggestions. Please call bryant stove, they have 100's of stoves and parts, you may end up with a replacement stove and have a stove for parts. I don't know what your costs will be for crating, shipping, casting, and return shipping, but sometimes when you pay a little more for another solution, you end up with more! There # is 207- 568- 3665. They are in Thorndike Me. Careful driving if you go this week end. Mike

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 7:49 am

hi, thanks for responding, actually I am going there today with door and ashpan in hand. since I don't know what to do about the crack in the firebox, I will have to leave it here...I bought the stove for a song, now I know why. But once the defects are taken care of, it should be a nice bun warmer. Thanks!

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 8:04 am

nikonmom wrote:Steve how do I get the firepot off? I don't know what I am doing....
Removal of the firepot requires dismantling the stove nikonmom. Sort of a bummer for you to find that crack. Where is the crack and how big is it? I didn't see it in the pix you posted but I'm afraid that unless you are prepared to rebuild the stove (you can see what is involved in my thread "my new Glenwood Modern Oak 116". It's not brain surgery but most people would have a pro do it.
My "New" Glenwood Modern Oak 116

You are going to begin to run into some cost now I'm afraid. I don't know how much you have into the stove but now it's time to consider the value for you. If this is the perfect sized stove for your space and you really love it (I know you do) then have at it. You never stated the space you are trying to heat and what your expectations from this stove were so consider this. I'm not trying to scare you, but realistically unless you can find a replacement door (because that might be difficult to cast correctly) You will spend at least $500 - $800 to fix that stove in my opinion at this point.
What size is the firepot measured across the top? (diameter)

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 8:40 am

groan....its huge...probably 14 to 16 inches...actually I bought it because I had been looking for a woodburning cook stove, found this site, discovered COAL, have friends who use coal and love it, then this stove fell in my lap. Even if I had known it was 'damaged' I would have had to buy it anyway. the nickel is in excellent condition except for the ashpan handle...the finial is beautiful, I just expected to put it in the basement and maybe some day, after my husband is gone (he is afraid of coal because no experience with it) I will have it vented and warm the basement, which it would put a strain on it but I work down there and it would warm it up just enough...ahh the plans of mice and men....well, off to thorndike with my fingers crossed.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 11:28 am

nikonmom wrote:groan....its huge...probably 14 to 16 inches...actually I bought it because I had been looking for a woodburning cook stove, found this site, discovered COAL, have friends who use coal and love it, then this stove fell in my lap. Even if I had known it was 'damaged' I would have had to buy it anyway. the nickel is in excellent condition except for the ashpan handle...the finial is beautiful, I just expected to put it in the basement and maybe some day, after my husband is gone (he is afraid of coal because no experience with it) I will have it vented and warm the basement, which it would put a strain on it but I work down there and it would warm it up just enough...ahh the plans of mice and men....well, off to thorndike with my fingers crossed.
Ok well best of Luck nikonmom. Talk to Donna at Bryant's. She's a good gal and takes care of the customers. Obviously the stove would have been a major heating addition to your home (if on the main floor). In the basement helps but you double the size of what work load. My Glenwood MO116 cylinder stove similar to yours (16' pot) and the Glenwood 208C cookstove in my kitchen converted from wood to coal heat my whole house of 2500sqft heated space. haven't use any oil to speak of this year.

PS: can you post a pix of the crack in the pot? Circle it maybe.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”