Stove Temps

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 10:12 am

Back when we had real winters, and insulation wasn't popular, our stoves use to glow red all winter long. Sometimes they'd glow orange in the fire pot area (no fire bricks). Which way the wind blew, determined where ya stood around the stove. Couldn't tell you the stove temps though. That was where we run the stoves in order to heat the old house. "The Good Old Days". Lots of fond memories........ We have had to do stove repair / replace before the next heating season. Not every year, but lets say every two, or three years. Back to this post; I'd say if you're not glowing red, you're stove is safe. Fast forward to todays stoves, with fire bricks in the burn pot. I'd say 500 - 550 would be my max steady burn temp for stove body. Staying under 500 is better yet.
Last edited by oliver power on Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 10:12 am

I normally run my Chubby about 350*, but with these temps it's been burning around 550 - 575. Keeping our 1200 sq ft ranch in the mid 70's. Stay warm my friends.

Chuck_Steak
Coal Size/Type: mostly nut, sometimes stove, Santa brand

Post by Chuck_Steak » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 4:11 pm

SMITTY wrote: I'm officially sick of being cold, so I got this thing 3 turns out. :lol:
AWRIGHT Smitty! :clap:

Man this is what I am always saying, when the discussion turns to
"How many turns out"?
Or
"What temp should I run"?

Man... it's below zero!!
Who cares how many turns, or how hot the stove is!
You aren't going to wear these new, good stoves out by running them up
when it's that cold outside.
So you burn another 15-20#.
I spent that at Dunkin Donuts, and that only warmed up my insides
for a few minutes! :roll:
BE WARM, that's why you got the darn thing!
I'm not interested in a 15 hour burn tonight when it's -5° or lower.
I want to be somewhat comfortable!
If the magnectic thermometer on the side of your stove falls off.
THAT is too hot! :oops2:

Dan

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 4:13 pm

I hear that Dan. Only thing that keeps me from opening her up is money. Even though coal's cheap, it still ain't free.

The way I figure, 2 nights of 800° stove temps won't hurt the ol' wallet much. It certainly won't hurt the stove! :D

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Been running mine at 530* past few days. It's been keeping the house around 72* during the day but by the time I get up the living room is 67* and the berdrooms are in the 50's. It's getting turned up tonight.

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Storm wrote:Storm back, thanks for responding. It's been a learning expirance. Different stoves and different temps, different locations to measure. Ok, it's -10 below in my neck of the woods light wind. Stove temp is still 475-510 degrees measure at top of loading door. Moved info rad reader to outlet pipe collar on Harman stove 310 degrees. After the baro which is 3 feet temp is 145 degrees. Draft .04. Ok will go up in temp to 425degrees on stove collar. Still like to be conservative here. Yes after 1.5 hours room became warmer. Was 66 now 71 degrees. Husky dog went to lie down by the outside door. Still like to have latitude. Thanx George :roll:
Storm if I was you I would be checking craigs list for a larger stove, you can always turn down a large stove but turning a to small of a stove up into the red , not a great idea. ;)

Storm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 1
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: Vermont Resolute wood stove for the shoulder months

Post by Storm » Fri. Jan. 25, 2013 11:39 am

Storm back, thanks fast cat. Since this is my first time testing this Harman 1 on a very cold day w/very windy conditions. I need to evaluate how many cold days to how hot I can push this stove. Yes you are right get a larger stove BTU or insulate better. This comming spring we are to replace these windows. Seven of them. The extra $ to buy triple pane windows would offset the larger stove somewhat. The siding has to come off. Take out the 3.5 inch of fiberglass an install foam, to give a larger R value. Now it's R 11, replace to R 30. How hot to push this stove. I will not go over 575 measured at top of loading door. The other post were helpfull in making this discesson. George

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”