Crane Stoker Stoves

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 6:47 am

Since a current owner was kind enough to take some photo's of the Crane Stoker Stove for me (The latest design my father made 1986, and a unit for which my family has no photo's of), I wanted to make a thread with photo's as a library of it. If others have any Crane Stoker Stoves feel free to post your photo's here or ask your questions here regarding them. This unit still runs strong today (30 years later) and the owner of it has wall mounted the electronic controls (to better protect them). These were designed specifically to burn rice coal as pellets were really not widely known or used at the time. The grate was solid 3/8 inch stainless steel, also the built in shroud surrounded the combustion chamber completely. Its construction basically consisted of 3 layers (1 combustion chamber- 2 heat shroud- 3 decorative shroud) The outer layer would remain cool to the touch, if the combustion was producing more air/more heat it would also be producing more air flow through the heat shroud (thereby putting the heat into the room as opposed to the outer layer). I wish dad could see this beauty still running :( It is amazing to me this stove still works today after 30years with zero spare parts available that entire time :shock: someone give this man a trophy!
Crane Stoker 1986.jpg
.JPG | 10.2KB | Crane Stoker 1986.jpg
Crane Stoker still running today.jpg
.JPG | 12.5KB | Crane Stoker still running today.jpg
On another thread is a sample of the "beta test" Crane Stoker which we used for testing a trials that were distributed to several dealers free of charge for the purpose of a making the final design that you see pictured above
Crane 404 Stoker Stove

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 3:04 am

i just bought a similar crane stoker, this one does not have the tile.
it's never been fired!!!
The man i bought it from bought it new in 1987 and never hooked it up because his homeowners insurance would not allow it.
i can't wait to learn more about it!

Attachments

cranecoalcooker1.jpg
.JPG | 11KB | cranecoalcooker1.jpg
cranecoalcooker2.jpg
.JPG | 11.6KB | cranecoalcooker2.jpg
cranecoalcooker3.jpg
.JPG | 44.9KB | cranecoalcooker3.jpg
cranecoalcooker6.jpg
.JPG | 67.9KB | cranecoalcooker6.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 7:27 am

Nice find. Hope all works out. Good luck.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 8:55 am

+1

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 11:10 am

got it going, controls are wonky due to age and not being used.

Attachments

crane1.jpg
.JPG | 29.7KB | crane1.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Up and running already? Nicely done. How's the heat output?

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 9:42 pm

joeq wrote:
Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 3:30 pm
Up and running already? Nicely done. How's the heat output?
the heat output is excellent! it really pumps the air out of the front of the stove.

the problem right now is every time i touch the controls to turn it down the feed stops and the fire goes out.....i need to get a can of tuner cleaner, clean the controls and try again in the morning. big roaring fire then it dies out.

the blower for the convection and combustion are the same. not the feed and combustion air like the triburner design.
the blower is on top and the air blows thru the middle jacket, stove will not run with the back cover off, when you slow down the convection air the combustion air also goes down.
i was taught by a member here 10 yrs ago to run the combustion air at full speed, so i guess the convection air is going to run full speed also.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”