North Easters

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Jan. 20, 2013 8:30 pm

High of 28 Tuesday and low of 17 woooohooooo!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 12:35 am

Current conditions. Can see the steep drop charted out on the graph. Note the wind chill. This will be MUCH worse tomorrow. Still isn't bad yet. Wind died way down, and the temp stopped dropping as fast as earlier .. for now anyway.

Like how my $280 display has black smudges right over the outdoor temp & wind chill digits after only 4 years of use? :roll: :mad: Seems to be the self-destruct timeframe of everything today, including $40k pickups. :mad: :mad:

But anyway .......

Attachments

Weather Jan.2013 winter.JPG
.JPG | 76.5KB | Weather Jan.2013 winter.JPG

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 12:46 am

SMITTY wrote: Like how my $280 display has black smudges right over the outdoor temp & wind chill digits after only 4 years of use? :roll: :mad: Seems to be the self-destruct timeframe of everything today, including $40k pickups. :mad: :mad:
What kind of weather station is that, Smitty?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 1:02 am

Davis Vantage Pro II. It's actually 5 years old now - thought I bought it in '08 ... but the charts go back to '07! :doh: :lol:

It's been great up until this past year. Those spots just appeared out of the blue this summer, and the ISS on the roof has been eating batteries ... meaning the capacitor needs replacing. I had to climb on the roof the day after a snowstorm to change the battery a couple weeks ago - that was fun! :roll: It's got a solar cell to run a convection fan (which crapped out in '09), and one to run the ISS. I guess the capacitor issue is a known issue with these. Reading online posts, it looks like I got a good one, because it's lasted twice as long as most people's units.

Only option I installed was a heater/insulation package so I can still measure precip. in the winter - that's the only wire coming out of the unit. It transmits to that screen wirelessly. Works all the way over to my neighbor's, and even inside his house. Has to be 500' away minimum. Signal gets there no problem. He's going to buy one to pick up my signal for himself, & save the cash on the ISS unit.

Joeski

Post by Joeski » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 1:10 am

Rob R. wrote:My phone says -22 for a low on Tuesday, high of 0.
That -22 is the lowest temp I ever dealt with. Back in 1994 in Lititz Pa around this time of year, a little after MLK day. Stay warm. Can your EFM do that for you?

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 2:22 am

Joeski wrote:
Rob R. wrote:My phone says -22 for a low on Tuesday, high of 0.
That -22 is the lowest temp I ever dealt with. Back in 1994 in Lititz Pa around this time of year
You got it to the day! 1/21/94...

I was 15, in 9th grade. I got up that morning to start a wood fire in the dutchwest, turned on the Wards Airline radio, to hear the WHP 580 weather report... "And the temperature at 6am is -22, with a wind chill of -59", followed shortly by "All public schools... Closed!" Ahh, good times!

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 4:32 am

Sissies...though this was taken a few years ago. Yep you read that right, -45.2 below zero Fahrenheit! I like to post it on the forums when people say, "I want to move to Maine someday." I admit it was a photo opportunity but I think it has been used well to keep the less then hardy souls out of Maine, and to keep the riff-raff out.

By the way: Schools are closed here today as well, but it has nothing to do with the cold, it is Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
Cold.jpg
.JPG | 154.7KB | Cold.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 4:32 pm

NoSmoke wrote:Sissies...
:lol: I never try and compete with your Eskimos up there when it comes to lows. My buddy was raised in Maine many yrs ago. He's a computer programmer now, and wants to retire from this state and move back there. I wonder if he'll be as "accepting" with the temps as he was 40 yrs ago.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 5:33 pm

The all time record low recorded in the Wadsworth/Medina region of Ohio is -26F. The coldest temperature I can remember experiencing in my lifetime is -19F.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 5:50 pm

When I was 10 or 11 I remember a morning so cold that nothing would even "click" when you tried to start it. It was -44 on our house thermometer, and -46 in the barn. The local agricultural school had -48, but of course none of our readings were "official".

Storm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 1
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: Vermont Resolute wood stove for the shoulder months

Post by Storm » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 6:25 pm

:mad: Storm back like my username implies. Talking about cold temps, it was cold in Wisconsin this early am. Went to check the Harman 1 it said 300 degrees. Mmmmmm it' cold in the house. Open ash door, cover the baro to heat up the chimney , to get more draft. Say 15 minutes on the egg timer add some coal,just a little. Then watch it pick up in flames, add a little more coal. Closed the ash door and shake shake until my Husky dog did not like the noise. Open the ash door looked nice an bright underneath, closed ash door. Shovel more coal on one side until it glows, then add some more on the other side, then the middle. It took about 1 hour to get back to 475degrees and my family stop complaining. George

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 6:49 pm

About 21 yra ago I was in Bradford VT laying in a parking lot working a a truck and it was -24. After 2 days of that I made it back home and the boss said take the day off you been working your a$$ off, so when I woke up in the morning it was -22 down here in NJ. On the news later they said my town was the coldest place in the US that day. I don't miss it one bit.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Storm wrote: Talking about cold temps, it was cold in Wisconsin this early am.
"How cold was it George"? It was so cold a flock of geese froze to the Hudson river. (Johnny Carson) :)
Nice job gettin her back into shape George.

Storm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 1
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: Vermont Resolute wood stove for the shoulder months

Post by Storm » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Joeq, up here in Wisconsin, when we say yes our tongue fezzes to our mouth. We say yip!!! Real fast. The further you go to the Artic Circle. There is no open the mouth, we just nod. By the way, last night it was 13 below with a wind chill of 40 to 50 below. For me this is the coolness I have ever expirence so far. But our Harman kept up. George :oops:

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Apr. 05, 2013 7:24 pm

The coldest temps I remember here in Upstate NY was -40° with a wind chill of -70°. There was actually frost on the heads of the nails of my paneling inside the house!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”