Exhaust Heat

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 16, 2013 7:24 pm

titleist1 wrote:hmmmm.... I was thinking it would be higher after the baro since the baro being open adds more air to the exhaust than is present at the manometer tube before the baro. But maybe that is a volume versus pressure difference. Although if the pressure after the baro wasn't higher, then it wouldn't open. hmmmmmm......looks like I'm gonna have to try it sometime.....but I am not betting any paychecks!!

I do know that if I close the baro the manometer reading (before the baro) goes up versus when it is open!
Being the curious person that I am, I couldn't stand it and had to try this lol.. I dilled a 1/4 inch hole two feet past the baro. First I looked at the mano and saw it was precisely at a .03" WC and the baro door was open at about a 60 degree angle letting air in. Then, I moved the mano probe to the location past the baro to discover it was in fact exactly the same.. I also stuck the mano probe into where combustion air flows in under the grates, and yet again I see a .03" WC on the mano.... 8-)

So now we know the rest of the story lol

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jan. 16, 2013 8:24 pm

rest of story... "I told ya so"!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Lightning wrote:
Being the curious person that I am, I couldn't stand it and had to try this lol.. I dilled a 1/4 inch hole two feet past the baro. First I looked at the mano and saw it was precisely at a .03" WC and the baro door was open at about a 60 degree angle letting air in. Then, I moved the mano probe to the location past the baro to discover it was in fact exactly the same.. I also stuck the mano probe into where combustion air flows in under the grates, and yet again I see a .03" WC on the mano.... 8-)

So now we know the rest of the story lol
You beat me to it...I wanted to try it but was tied up most of the day! I can't wrap my head around why it isn't higher after the baro...but it is what it is and some things I just don't need to know the reasons behind them! Glad I was on record not betting that paycheck!! :D

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Wed. Jan. 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Lol...could have saved you the trouble lightning.!! :D

... it is BECAUSE of the baro that the readings ( before and after it) are identical

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 3:30 am

titleist1 wrote:I can't wrap my head around why it isn't higher after the baro...but it is what it is and some things I just don't need to know the reasons behind them!
I think its because of what you mentioned earlier about volume.. The added volume of air going thru the flue after the baro must be satisfying any pressure difference that there would be.. So you had the right idea in the beginning 8-)
Rigar wrote:Lol...could have saved you the trouble lightning.!! :D
... it is BECAUSE of the baro that the readings ( before and after it) are identical
Exactly :D

So now that I've high jacked this guys thread :oops: I hope he got out of it what he was looking for :lol:

Rigar

Post by Rigar » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 5:39 am

Lightning wrote:
titleist1 wrote:I can't wrap my head around why it isn't higher after the baro...but it is what it is and some things I just don't need to know the reasons behind them!
I think its because of what you mentioned earlier about volume.. The added volume of air going thru the flue after the baro must be satisfying any pressure difference that there would be.. So you had the right idea in the beginning 8-)
Rigar wrote:Lol...could have saved you the trouble lightning.!!
Exactly

So now that I've high jacked this guys thread :oops: I hope he got out of it what he was looking for :lol:
...again...there is NO difference in pressure before and after the baro....the difference (typically) is between the combustion chamber and the "breech"... -when operating properly.
..sorry...but I have OCD..coupled with ADD...... So I need everything to be perfect...but not for very long !!.... :D :roll:
Last edited by Rigar on Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigar

Post by Rigar » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 5:49 am

And in my earlier post I stated it was BECAUSE of the baro ( that the readings were identical) .... what I should have said it is REGARDLESS of the baro....my apologies.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 6:22 pm

]
titleist1 wrote: So now that I've high jacked this guys thread :oops: I hope he got out of it what he was looking for :lol:
[/quote]

I've gotten more than I bargained for guys, and some of it's even beneficial. :) I know there's a huge thread on MPDs vs baros, and I'm sure alot of this info is there. But I'm glad you scientists had fun "bench racing", (as we call it in the hot-rod field.) Because I haven't had the opportunity to use a manometer in this application, alot of this conversation is Greek to me. But I look forward in the future experimenting, (or even implementing) with some of your ideas.
What it all comes down to is using our stoves in the most efficient manner possible, to cut down fuel costs, and increase our comfort level during mother natures "trying " times. And it's a triple win, when my girls, (and wife) are happy, and you all know where I'm going with that. :D Thanx again for the information.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 8:35 pm

joeq wrote:What it all comes down to is using our stoves in the most efficient manner possible, to cut down fuel costs, and increase our comfort level during mother natures "trying " times. And it's a triple win, when my girls, (and wife) are happy, and you all know where I'm going with that. Thanx again for the information.
Amen, partner 8-)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”