Picked up Another Stove - Warm Morning 400A

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sat. Jan. 05, 2013 11:16 pm

I've been wanting an adequate stove for my detached garage, and I found one on craigslist. Picked up a Warm Morning 400A this morning for $100. It's going to need some TLC, but I am anxious to try 'er out!

I was searching around the forum and found a manual for the WM 414, but I didn't see anything specific to the 400. Do any other WM 400 users have a scanned version available? I was also trying to figure out when this stove was made. Is there any way to determine that, possibly by serial number?

I'm hoping to start taking the stove apart this week, I'll post pics along the way!

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 88KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 92.3KB | image.jpg

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 12:29 am

This was posted on the forum a while back
In this thread Manual for Locke Warm Morning Model 400 ???

You will also find the warm morning general manual in that link which would include the 400 model.

Nice score ! A 100lbs coal capacity circulating stove!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 6:20 am

Nice find LD :)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 7:55 am

Sure would be nice...to "literally" wake up to a warm morning. Mine "died" this morning for the 1st time in almost a month.My longest run to date. Even tho the outside temp is 25, the highs today are predicted to hit 50, so I'll give the 513 a well deserved cleaning out.
Good luck with your garage heater. I've got a ceiling hung propane Modine heater, that went on the blitz a few yrs back. Still haven't got it figured out. Was thinking of a "solid fuel" burner, but can't afford the floor space.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Fri. Jan. 11, 2013 5:21 pm

LD what's up with the warm morning? We haven't heard anything since your first post.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Mon. Jan. 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Smokeyja wrote:LD what's up with the warm morning? We haven't heard anything since your first post.
I only have 1 flue available at the moment, so I can't hook it up. I need to round up my masonry crew and get a chimney built in my garage. I am kicking around some ideas on that....... How many flues do I need? 2, 3, 4? :lol:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jan. 14, 2013 1:02 pm

LDPosse wrote: How many flues do I need? 2, 3, 4?
Like money, you can never have enough.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Mon. Jan. 14, 2013 3:59 pm

The stove is going to need several firebrick replaced before I use it..... The previous owner only burned wood in it, and did tell me up front "Them brick kinda' busted apart when I tossed 'em logs in there"...... I found a source online, but it'll probably cost me 2-3x the price I paid for the stove to get it ready for burning. That's OK though, it's still alot cheaper than a new stove.

The stove also has the wrong ash pan, and the shaker handle extension is missing. The *good* stuff is, the stove itself seems pretty solid, the grates look to be in excellent condition, the bi-metal t-stat setup is all there, it has the optional blower (works) and the humidifier well is in servicable condition.

I had intended to start taking it apart by now, but that hasn't happened yet. Just got done with that nasty cold that's been going around, hopefully I can get started on it this week.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”