Jr Chubby

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Blizzard, I am not going to weld the grate. The grate is designed to have the two pieces removed. According to Larry Trainer, the two pieces are removed to quickly dump the fire pot. I am told the newer models did not have this feature.

IOF and tcalo, I am posting a couple pics which show the bushing on the outside of the stove. There is not much to be seen since I welded the bushing to a 1/8" thick washer which is welded to the outside of the stove. When doing the bushing upgrade, I did not take into account the fact the shaker rod must travel in a very slight arch due to the rotation of the grate. I had designed the shaker rod to simply travel in and out in a straight line. I had to make the rod inside the stove with a slight bow to it so it could rotate the grate and not make contact with the fire pot. If I were to do this again I would make a ball and cup design for the outside of the stove that would articulate and still maintain close tolerances with the shaker rod.

I did start the Jr Chubby last night to season the paint and set the gaskets. I hope everyone likes my makeshift chimney. It wasn't pretty but did the job.

The snowman.

Attachments

new chub1.jpg
.JPG | 143.8KB | new chub1.jpg
new chub2.jpg
.JPG | 168.8KB | new chub2.jpg
new chub3.jpg
.JPG | 134KB | new chub3.jpg
new chub15.jpg
.JPG | 100.4KB | new chub15.jpg

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Man, I still love the way that stove looks. And yours looks even more nice.

I had a washer on the outside of the shaker handle on mine but didn't have the bushing. It looks very professional. If I had welded it on the stove like yours I'd of probably burned a hole through the side of the stove.

the snowman

Post by the snowman » Mon. Jan. 14, 2013 10:03 pm

one dollar,

Did you ever get an ok and a color choice for the Jr?

the snowman

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Outstanding sm :)

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 7:24 am

Snowman

We have decided on a "Hunter Green" color for the body of the Jr. The cast iron parts,(top, doors and legs) will remain black. I think the Jr will look stunning once Larry is done with her.

Meanwhile I am closing in on a Glenwood City 10. Hope to have her by the end of this week. Stove is in very good shape. Though not a baseburner it does have the "back pipe". Very excited to get this stove and get the Jr all fixed up as well. Stove pimpin' time around these parts. :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Very nice fit on the Chubby The Snowman.
But I can't see why install a stove outside of the house in Winter, never saw that in Québec yet :D

the snowman

Post by the snowman » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 7:26 am

freetown fred, thanks.

onedollar,

Sweet! Are you going to post some pics of the progress and the finished product. I would love to see it.

nortcan,
thanks also and I'm trying to follow the example in the movie field of dreams. If I build it, it will come, so I have the stove nicely burning outside, it is all rebuilt. I am now waiting for a large new shop to be built around it. I can't remember how long it took for the miracle to happen in the movie, however, I am still waiting for my miracle of a new shop to appear. Besides, I'm trying to steal from you guys in Quebec.

If I provide a heat source outside, the warm air will want to rise and travel north thus letting your cold air to move into my area bringing snow with it. I'm also helping out the global community. I provide a small source of global warming and everyone north of me burns less coal because of my effort and in the process save money and I get the cold air and snow I desire. It doesn't matter that I have to burn more coal, I'm willing to take one for the team. I have heard from a good source the guys in PA are willing to mine a few more tons of coal to aid in my effort. I hope my effort is working and you are burning less coal this season. Let me know if I can help out more.

The snowman.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 7:45 am

sm, I hate to say this, but you, like myself, need to get out more often. :clap: toothy

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 9:52 am

SnowMan... I regret to inform you your hearth is not fire rated LOL

NWBuilder
Stoker Coal Boiler: Ahs 130
Coal Size/Type: Burning Pea anthracite

Post by NWBuilder » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 10:03 am

I am jealous!!! Good for you! Nice stove SM. How's the Alaskan working out for your Dad?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 11:52 am

Snowman

Larry at Chubby Stoves is going to rehab my Jr for me. I hope to be at the Chubby plant for at least part of the process. So if I am I will of course be taking pictures and I will post them.

the snowman

Post by the snowman » Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 9:49 pm

freetown fred,
You think! Just because while working in the shop I tend to talk to myself aloud and answer my own questions does not mean I need to get out. lol.

dcrane,

I'm going to argue with you on this one. See, I had the best known redneck come look at the hearth design and he swore it was up to code. Something about the snow beneath the hearth and the thermal winds the stove would create made the hearth a design of modern marvels. The history channel is going to do a special on the Jr Chubby and the hearth which has the seal of approval (also known as redneck rated) of the best known redneck. The special is going to be more popular than any reality show. lol.

NWbuilder,

Nice to hear from you. Thanks. The Alaskan is performing great, the parents are happy as can be and warm as can be. They keep the house at 75F with only one carpet running. They have not needed to fire up the second carpet. The first winter with the Alaskan put any fears of the unit being able to keep them warm to rest. Have you come up with an alternative heat source for you shop? I have been informed my parents desire to have the Jr Chubby. They have no place to install it, however, they still desire it. They will never give up the Alaskan.

onedollar,

Going for the gold standard rehab, very cool, nice choice. I can't wait to see some pics of the process. Maybe you could also film some video as well. . . . . . .Your stove is going to look really great when Larry finishes it.

The snowman.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Jan. 22, 2013 10:24 am

I've been struggling to find a fix that works for the problem with the shaker arm nipples wearing. I picked up a reconditioned Chubby in the spring of 2012 and just started using it this season and the nipple is already showing signs of wear. I don't have access to a welder and didn't want anything too permanent, just in case my idea was a bust I could remove it with no problems. I decided to use a 1" black iron cap and grind the inside to fit snug over the original nipple. I'm using a 3/8" grade 8 washer under the cap. I had to grind down the cap on one side because of the angle of the stove. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the center of the cap to allow the shaker rod to pass through. I drilled 2 smaller holes on the top and bottom of the cap and tapped them so I could put set screws in to hold the cap in place. Now when the hole wears I could simple remove the cap and replace the washer on the inside. I completed this project Monday morning and figured I would give it 24 hours to be sure it worked before posting about it. As of now I have to shut the stove down to get the shaker rod out because I have to pull the grate up on an angle to get the rod out. I was rushing to get this job done to beat the cold weather (not to mention the oil burner kicking on every 20 minutes because the stove was off). I plan on modifying the rod so I could remove it without shutting down the stove. I think I need to just shorten the rod where it hooks down a bit to be able to pull it out of the grate. A nice spring project!

Attachments

original.jpg

original

.JPG | 66.5KB | original.jpg
parts.jpg

parts

.JPG | 95.2KB | parts.jpg
front.jpg

repair

.JPG | 59.1KB | front.jpg
cap outside.jpg

cap 1

.JPG | 55.6KB | cap outside.jpg
cap inside.jpg

cap 2

.JPG | 90.2KB | cap inside.jpg
top.jpg

.JPG | 47KB | top.jpg

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Jan. 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Hey the snowman, is your stove dead? Missing anth? Or what? The cold temp. is back here so come on and keep on heating down there! :lol: :D I had to use one more pound of anth this morning and probably will send some bills down there :D

the snowman

Post by the snowman » Tue. Jan. 22, 2013 3:01 pm

tcalo,

Nice use of a balck iron cap. Did you dimple the stove so the screws would be able to grip the stove better? On my Chubby Sr I have a cap system and I drilled the cap and the stove, then tapped the stove holes instead of the cap. The cap I used is SS and the center portion is removable so I can replace it if needed. Permatex makes a high temp rtv silicone in black, you could use this to make sure your cap has a positive seal to the stove. Keep us posted on the durability of your new cap design or any changes you decide to make.

Nortcan,

Sorry, I had to shut down the Jr and refrain from burning it outside. The local community put a petition together to ban my burning the stove outside even though I had the redneck seal of approval for my hearth. It became just too large of a tourist attraction leading to large traffic jams in the local village and thousands of people walking the two miles from the village on the main highway to my home. I pleaded my case and even pointed out that I was helping the global economy and my neighbors in Canada not to mention international relations.

I even used the angle that the stove was providing a source of heat for local wild life, preventing the needless death of poor small and large animals from the extreme cold temps. Still no joy, it didn't matter that the history channel was on location to film a documentary about the Jr and my redneck hearth. So, the stove now sits inside on display with my other coal burners I have in my collection. If you can get our newly re-elected president to give my local community some federal funds for road construction, parking, walking paths to my house and such, I will be able to put the Jr back outside and again help you out with your cold temps and heating bills. I will keep fighting for us, I'm currently looking for a loophole in the local laws. I'll keep you posted.

The snowman.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”