So I Started My Hearth Area Demo

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 12:15 pm

joeq wrote:
freetown fred wrote:Nice. I wish you'd put turn those pix upright, I'm getting a hell if a crick in my old neck!! ;)
hey Fred, They're displayed correctly when your head is at the 12 o'clock position. Maybe cause it's New Years eve, and if you gave the rum and Cokes a break, you may see them up-right. :)
:lol: A good one for you my friend fred, just stay warm from the stove heat, that make things look all right :lol:

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 1:20 pm

I feel like Dying now :( . That lime mortar on the hearth was some tough stuff. My body is broken...

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 3:29 pm

Keep up the good work, I'm getting tired watching :lol: Josh, any chance of blowing in some insulation, or some 2 inch rigid between the joist. Not sure if cement board is structual; will you be laying the new and improved sub-floor under the cement board?

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 4:29 pm

michaelanthony wrote:Keep up the good work, I'm getting tired watching :lol: Josh, any chance of blowing in some insulation, or some 2 inch rigid between the joist. Not sure if cement board is structual; will you be laying the new and improved sub-floor under the cement board?
Better, cinder blocks and cement ... I found some issues .. Beams not even connecting and so on. I've got a lot of work ahead of tonight :(

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Whoa I just saw this thread. Every idea I have somebody else suggested :D I love the Minwax wood preservative, acetone based it really soaks in. I heard a coat of paint will stop powder post beetles, but you have to coat everything. I know a guy that sprayed the entire inside of his old barn white. Black Flag copper napthenate will stop any living thing, but I'd never use it interior even if I was going to cover everything up- it has a strong odor.

I finished this gas fireplace with Home Depot marble tiles; made the mantle and surround as I went along. It was a rough-in to start.

Good luck and happy new year

Attachments

IMAG0003.JPG
.JPG | 76KB | IMAG0003.JPG
IMAG0004.JPG
.JPG | 91.1KB | IMAG0004.JPG

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Let the games begin! I just went to lowes and picked up a few things. I am pulling some cinder blocks out of the woods and I bought 6 more. I have a lot of cement to mix too. I won't sleep tonight for sure . Black rum and coke will do.
Dann757 wrote:Whoa I just saw this thread. Every idea I have somebody else suggested :D I love the Minwax wood preservative, acetone based it really soaks in. I heard a coat of paint will stop powder post beetles, but you have to coat everything. I know a guy that sprayed the entire inside of his old barn white. Black Flag copper napthenate will stop any living thing, but I'd never use it interior even if I was going to cover everything up- it has a strong odor.

I finished this gas fireplace with Home Depot marble tiles; made the mantle and surround as I went along. It was a rough-in to start.

Good luck and happy new year
Great look hearth & fireplace! Yes this minwax wood hardener is awesome! I just coated a rotten beam. No one sells it local though . I found one place and it was two bottles covered in dust!

I really have bad luck when it comes to my projects. I really didn't expect the hearth to start falling apart, beams to just fall off the flooring, electrical wires running right where I want to put cinder blocks. So I go to move the wires and I trip the breakers... WTF! Next old house I buy I'm gutting it and ripping out the floor and starting over!

I'm just pissed cause I have to do more work and so on!

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 5:59 pm

Smokeyja wrote:I really have bad luck when it comes to my projects.
Nahhhh don't say that! You have ambition! Keep up the good work!

My brother raised 4 kids in an old farmhouse in Chenango Forks, NY. On a hill overlooking a splendid valley view. He is so unbelievably stubborn he would never accept help from anybody, and the place remained in disrepair for many years. I left him a quick sketch on how to fix his rotted bathroom floor when I was up to visit one time many years ago. He went ballistic on me hahahhahahaha. I used to laugh with his kids at his plumbing situation in the old cellar- it looked like a jungle of pvc vines :D We went up one Christmas and all the pipes were frozen and what a foul mood he was in hahahhaa. I went in the old fieldstone basement and stuffed insulation in all the gaping holes to the outside New York State sub-zero winter air. He took it all out!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 6:52 pm

Keep on the good work Smokey, not always easy.....that remind me when I cut the hole for the G.Bride chimney's support. Don't know why electric wires are always at the bad place?

Attachments

DSC03389.JPG
.JPG | 62.1KB | DSC03389.JPG

echos67

Post by echos67 » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 10:15 pm

Hang in there, just keep plugging away at it and don't forget sometime you have to just walk away for awhile. ;)

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Wished I lived closer...I would...I love black rum!..

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks guys! I'm still working on it ! I have the edge of the floor shored up and the main beam on cinder blocks and I pour concrete in them. The rough cut oak matches the original beams perfectly !

This is the edge of the floor that needed support. It has cinder block under it too
Cinder blocks under the beam
Rotting beam running through the old hearth . I treated it with minwax wood hardener .
I know I've mentioned ground hogs on here before! Damn critters have a burrow under my house right below the septic line... Whoever ran this PVC line was one small ass dude that's all I have to say ! Theres only 9" of clearance there! Gonna fill it with concrete! Such is life! Everything rots . Nothing last forever ! You just have to be ok with it you know? I need some more lumber in the morning and cinder blocks .

People are shooting guns that means that it's new years! Happy New years. Im standing in a hole under my house ;)

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 12:20 am

Yeah, lots of shots going off here too..

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 12:24 am

happy New Years Josh!! ya doin a fine job!!
dont feel bad I did a 8 hour bathroom re-plumbing today 8-) whoda thunk it :D

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 4:07 am

Josh! you got to be kidding me. I'm just getting in from a New Yrs get together, (3AM), and I see you posting pix on 2013! Are you going for a world record, or applying for "Extreme Home Makeover?" Get some sleep and pick up after.....REST? Wow. Talk about dedicated. You must be a bachelor, cause I couldn't get away with it.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 10:20 am

joeq wrote:Josh! you got to be kidding me. I'm just getting in from a New Yrs get together, (3AM), and I see you posting pix on 2013! Are you going for a world record, or applying for "Extreme Home Makeover?" Get some sleep and pick up after.....REST? Wow. Talk about dedicated. You must be a bachelor, cause I couldn't get away with it.
Lol nah I'm married with a son. I can't sit idle for more than a day. My Dad warned me about pulling the floor up because he said I might not like what I find. I have been renovating the house for 2 years now. I've finished 2 rooms upstairs with a few minor things to take care of so the down stairs is in order now . I could have finished the base to the hearth last night if the store was open. No one ever helps me with my projects so I have to work twice as hard and fast to get it done in a reasonable time. My brother helps when he can but he lives a good ways away. Anyways I'm all ready to pour some concrete I just need to get a few more things at the store. And for the record I feel like I've been run over and shot a few times... :( no not a hang over but body is just destroyed . And that damn ground hog hole took 160lbs of concrete. Oh my wheelbarrel broke too! I was pulling it outside with a load of bricks and the woods holding the axel just snapped :hangover:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”