So I Started My Hearth Area Demo

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Jul. 21, 2013 12:41 am

freetown fred wrote:Now that's lookin REAL purty Josh. NICE ;)
Thanks Fred!
joeq wrote:Wow! Check out the muscle power. You could've pulled a diesel motor with that much help. So how much does that slab weigh Josh? I'm guessing 250? Did the base come out the way you wanted? Can't wait to see the finished product. Better hurry. Winter is just a stone throw away. I wish...with the awful heatwave we've been experiencing here in CT. It's been brutal with the humidity. It's like Viet Nam. :(
Yea ! It was easy with this much help and it weighs 500lbs give or take a few lbs. if it was 250lbs I could have done it with one other person. I am not going to finish the whole area before winter . I haven't been making much money working for myself lately. So it will probably get finished next year but its to the point whee I can put this stove up on it this week . The base is cool they did a great job. My first choice was a large piece of whit/gray granite but I couldn't find anyone who would rough cut that for me . They wanted them all polished . Can't have it all I guess . I'm probably going to cover the brick up with stone and still put the pillars in .

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Jul. 21, 2013 1:22 am

wsherrick wrote:Wow, you all put that stone down on the floor without ANY Plumber's Crack showing at all. Simply amazing. :roll:
Haha William . Yea we all wear belts with the exception of me with my old AF Pt shorts and I guess none of us have Dunlop syndrome yet! I can't stand my pants below my waste . Old school waste that is not new school lol.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jul. 21, 2013 9:59 am

What's next?

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Jul. 22, 2013 9:39 am

joeq wrote:What's next?
I will put the stove on the hearth this week and I'm going to put up the hardie backer where I want the stone to go and in place of sheet rock. I already have the the hardie board sitting in the garage . I am then going to design a fencing to go around the hearth to keep my little boy safe until he's a little older . I am going to forge the pickets and do a top and bottom flatbar with some hand forged finials as well . Those are things I have to get done before winter . It's amazing how hindering money can be on getting things done !

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jul. 22, 2013 11:29 am

I just knew you were going light that forge up somehow on this venture----nice touch Josh ;)

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 2:08 am

My wife and I got beast tonight and lifted this thing. I'm really proud of her for finding the strength to pick it up!
I just have to pipe it in now and that's gonna be real right and ill probably have to weld up some custom piping at some point .
It's a little it in the room but will be nice in the winter :)

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa471/SuperJA ... F5A44B.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa471/SuperJA ... DC1A7B.jpg

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 6:10 pm

The Glenwood looks beautiful on its new perch...very nice job!

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Photog200 wrote:The Glenwood looks beautiful on its new perch...very nice job!
Thanks! The only thing that is bothering me about it is the floor slopes a little so the stove leans forward slightly no one would notice but I do so it pisses me off every time I look at it . I didn't want to get into leveling the joist under the house and so on . It's 3/4 " out of level . So not huge over 37" . That's how a house from the mid 18th century rolls haha

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Photog200 wrote:The Glenwood looks beautiful on its new perch...very nice job!
Thanks! The only thing that is bothering me about it is the floor slopes a little so the stove leans forward slightly no one would notice but I do so it pisses me off every time I look at it . I didn't want to get into leveling the joist under the house and so on . It's 3/4 " out of level . So not huge over 37" . That's how a house from the mid 18th century rolls haha

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 10:00 pm

I think if you partially level the stove by putting 1/2 inch shims under two legs it will not be noticeable, even 1/4 inch would help. See how it looks with some washers as shims.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 10:22 pm

franco b wrote:I think if you partially level the stove by putting 1/2 inch shims under two legs it will not be noticeable, even 1/4 inch would help. See how it looks with some washers as shims.

But the stone is rock faced so trimming it is out if the question and the trim wouldn't look right then. This is the best compromise really. I'm just a perfectionist sometimes .

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Jul. 23, 2013 10:32 pm

I meant shim the stove not the hearth stone. Even a small amount would help and if the shims were the same size as the legs would not look bad or even noticeable.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jul. 24, 2013 10:30 am

Very nice look.
Shimming with washers or else would be good, many stoves have screws adjuster under the legs. You certainly have the hability :idea: :idea: to make some very small legs extensions longer at the front and lower at the back and that would be almost invisible...or can be visible as an antique part of the whole stove/base/deco...

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Wed. Jul. 24, 2013 12:31 pm

franco b wrote:I meant shim the stove not the hearth stone. Even a small amount would help and if the shims were the same size as the legs would not look bad or even noticeable.
In sorry I read that wrong. I guess I've been tired lately. I see what you mean and I will probably try this.
nortcan wrote:Very nice look.
Shimming with washers or else would be good, many stoves have screws adjuster under the legs. You certainly have the hability :idea: :idea: to make some very small legs extensions longer at the front and lower at the back and that would be almost invisible...or can be visible as an antique part of the whole stove/base/deco...
You are right I can forge some little fit to fit under the existing legs .

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Wed. Jul. 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Wow, thats cool. Very nice.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”