So I Started My Hearth Area Demo

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Fri. Jun. 07, 2013 9:43 pm

freetown fred wrote:I like it Josh. Just be very thoughtful on what you use to seal it. Can't you get anything thicker???? :clap: toothy
Haha it's gonna be 500lbs of 2" think bluestone (feldspathic sandstone) 64x40
joeq wrote:I think it's an optical illusion Fred. The oak floors under the stone is 2 1/2" boards.(?) Nice looking stone tho Josh. Glad to see you're getting back to it.

You are pretty darn close on your flooring size . They are 2.250"

I'm sealing the stone so it should be a darker grayish blue once I seal it .

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jun. 07, 2013 9:45 pm

That's what we're talkin about--Nice ;) She'll darken up in time anyway don't ya know! Me thinks that'll look real purty:)

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 9:13 am

I have about an inch and a half lower than the wood where my concrete slab is. The Bluestone slab will partially be on the wood and I'm wondering what I should choose to level out the surface above the concrete slab I don't want to put concrete there and then let it cure because I believe there will be voids and there might be some un level issues. What do you think? Stone dust or mortar?

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 4:04 pm

How about a couple 3/4" sheets of Dura-Rock?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Not sure Josh, they make grout in many colors/ shades & it's as good as thin set adhesive wise---don't know if that's the kinda answer your looking for, BUT---it's my story & I'm stickin to it! :clap: toothy

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 4:44 pm

I was under the impression your looking for a shim "under" the stone, to bring it up and level with the floor.(where you can then grout it.)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Soooo Joey, that leaves both of us kinda tryin to figure out what Josh is lookin for here--friggin SMITTY artistes don't speak stone that clearly--- :clap: toothy :out:

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 6:32 pm

I know what you mean Fred. With all the advances in technology and communication, I still don't understand a thing going on. As a matter of fact, I think I'm now worse off than B4 computers. :?
Last edited by joeq on Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 7:54 pm

BUT----YES, I think joe's onto something dura-rock wise--much easier to keep level compared to any filler---maybe 1/2" or 1" of rock board & some kind of mud for what you're lacking---how thick is that stone Josh?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Concrete to 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then thinset to set the bluestone.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. Jun. 27, 2013 1:16 pm

freetown fred wrote:Not sure Josh, they make grout in many colors/ shades & it's as good as thin set adhesive wise---don't know if that's the kinda answer your looking for, BUT---it's my story & I'm stickin to it! :clap: toothy
joeq wrote:I was under the impression your looking for a shim "under" the stone, to bring it up and level with the floor.(where you can then grout it.)
Maybe I didn't ever explain exactly what I'm doing. There is no grout involved because its one solid slab of bluestone. 64"x40"
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa471/SuperJA ... B83F01.jpg

Much like you would use sand to level stone slabs or pavers outside I was thinking about the stone dust but I also had the idea of mortar because I can pour it and then set the stone and let it fill in its own voids. It is a 2" thick slab though so small voids shouldn't be an issue so I may concrete it and level the surface as best as I can then lay the stone.

Does that make sense now?

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. Jun. 27, 2013 1:18 pm

franco b wrote:Concrete to 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then thinset to set the bluestone.
What is thinset ? Just a thin layer of mortar?

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Jun. 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Thats the piece I need for my hearth! :mad: how much did you pay for that? cheapest quote I could find was like $500 -$600 :x
I decided to just extend the exsisting hearth using the same flag stone crapper peices it has now :(

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. Jun. 27, 2013 1:29 pm

dcrane wrote:Thats the piece I need for my hearth! :mad: how much did you pay for that? cheapest quote I could find was like $500 -$600 :x
I decided to just extend the exsisting hearth using the same flag stone crapper peices it has now :(
$436.91 and I purchased sealer to keep it looking wet and protected for $41 but I haven't put it on yet.

That was cut to size
Thermalled
And rockfaced on 3 sides

I bought it from this company!
http://www.charlesluck.com/

Awesome to deal with and even though I was wearing canvas shoes, some torn up paint covered shorts and probably didn't smell to good they treated me like I was spending millions with them. I drove 45 minutes one way to deal with them. But worth it!

Here is the specs
http://www.charlesluck.com/products/select-bluestone-slab

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jun. 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Smokeyja,
Couldn't you make in the shop some adjustable shim packs from bolts and nuts, and mount to floor in a grid pattern.

Get them all set level for bottom of stone slab, then lay some rows of stiff concrete...somewhat higher than shims...then set slab and then the laid rows of stiff concrete would spread out and the shims would stop the slab where you want it, let it alone and concrete will setup.

You could plan to hold the laid stiff concrete short of the edges and latter dry pack a colored grout and trowel it to a 45* angle or whatever angle you desire.
After the grout is cured...seal the Bluestone and the angled grout at the same time. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”