Family Affair

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 11:08 am

Finally, my Christmas vacation begins. (Week and a half off). The past few weeks or so, my work required me to be there longer hours than normal. Which meant I wouldn't be home as much to tend to the Surdiac. When I lit off the stove on a Thursday after work, and kept it running thru the weekend, I figured it would go out by the time I got home from work on Monday. I mean, we're talking over 12 hrs later. haven't gotten my stove to run more than 6-7 hrs B4. Besides, the temps were to begin to climb to daytime highs of almost 50*. However, when I returned home that Mon. nite, I found the stove blazing away, and the house a comfortable 72*. One of my 16 yr old twin daughters took the time to poke and clean the grates, and refill the hopper. Since then, I taught my wife and daughter how to adjust the thermostat and MPD, (if needed), to maintain a constant flame. Many mornings following, they awoke B4 me, and were able to take a coal bed barely alive, and bring it back to its full glory. Takes some of the work off me, (which is a good thing). I guess they're spoiled now, and going back to oil, with a thermostat set at 65* and wrapped in blankets while watching the "boob-tube", isn't as appealing as it used to be. :)

Boots
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

Post by Boots » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 2:53 pm

congrats, now if I could even get my wife to just go into the basement to look at the coal boiler i' d be getting somewhere.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 4:02 pm

The one thing I love about my wife is that she will try anything, and tending the wood/coal stove is one thing she will try. Coal is still giving her fits, but she at least tries.

Glad you can have some of the pressure off you.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 4:55 pm

I put up an ad. in our local grocery store, yep pretty tiny, but one of my requirements was--" must be familier with tending a hand fired coal stove" sure, go ahead & laugh, I had 4 responses. Problem turned out that they liked the Hitzer 50-93 more then me. SOB--I don't get no respect. toothy

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 5:09 pm

must be familier with tending a hand fired coal stove
You need to raise your game... Wanted hot woman with coal stove - please send pics of coal stove.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 5:10 pm

must be familier with tending a hand fired coal stove
Wanted hot woman with coal stove - please send pics of coal stove. You might come across a Wherle #100.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 5:11 pm

freetown fred wrote:I put up an ad. in our local grocery store, yep pretty tiny, but one of my requirements was--" must be familier with tending a hand fired coal stove" sure, go ahead & laugh, I had 4 responses. Problem turned out that they liked the Hitzer 50-93 more then me. SOB--I don't get no respect. toothy
That is Priceless :P

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 9:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:I put up an ad. in our local grocery store, yep pretty tiny, but one of my requirements was--" must be familier with tending a hand fired coal stove" sure, go ahead & laugh, I had 4 responses. Problem turned out that they liked the Hitzer 50-93 more then me. SOB--I don't get no respect. toothy
...lmao :funny:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”