DS Machine Questions -- DS 1500 Vs. DS 2100AH #4 Basement

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 2:35 pm

As described in my other thread, I'm looking for a new stove to replace my failed Franco Belge 10-75-174. I've pretty much decided on one of these two DS Machine models.

First, could any of you who own the 2100 #4 Basement stove post a reply to tell me the height from the floor to the bottom of the flue outlet on the stove? I have a low chimney crock (39" from floor to bottom of 6" liner opening) and I need to know if this will be a problem with the #4. I saw a DS 1500 this morning and the height on that one is fine, but the #4 is several inches higher, and I suspect maybe the outlet is too.

Second, I'd appreciate your experience with or without blowers (assuming that option is available--can't tell from the brochure I have).

Finally, I'm trying to decide which of these two models to get.

I'm trying to confirm the BTU rating on my old Franco Belge--one dealer in my area that used to handle them said 48,000 to 55,000 max. That seems low, but if it's correct, the 1500 would be more than enough stove for my setup. I have a 2200 sq ft 2-story house with a heat pump. The basement adds another 900 sq ft, of a little more than half is finished.

My coal stove sits under a hood that's tied into the heat pump blower return side, pulling in warm air over the stove and blowing it through the house. I'm not trying to totally eliminate the heat pump from the equation, just keep it from running constantly during the coldest months--and keep the electric backup coils from kicking on. My F-B stove does this effectively, except when the outside temps dip below about 12-15.

So right now I'm thinking the DS 1500 at 96K BTU would replace the F-B nicely--substantially more heat output, plus the circulator ports would help channel heated air upward toward my hood. I'm concerned the 2100 #4, at 130K BTU, is going to be a bit too much stove for my setup, and will burn substantially more coal over the 3-4 cold months I usually burn. With the F-B, given it's smaller size, I've been burning a bit less than 2 tons a year.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you DS owners have. Thanks!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 3:27 pm

The DS is a good stove & bottom line is, whichever fits in what you have--I think I'd go with that one. :clap: toothy You left a deposit Bc--by God, you're almost home :)

MarkV

Post by MarkV » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 8:57 pm

freetown fred wrote:The DS is a good stove & bottom line is, whichever fits in what you have--I think I'd go with that one. :clap: toothy You left a deposit Bc--by God, you're almost home :)
Yeah, Fred, I got a bad case of "new stove fever." I was pretty much sold on the DS when I left Blain Supply. Got two miles down the road and thought, I'm not gonna drive 31 miles back up here to drop off a check, and it'll hold up the whole deal 2-3 days if I mail it.

So, I turned around and headed back to the store and wrote'em a check. (Can't blame'em for not wanting to order without down money. I look in a mirror now and then, :shock: and I'd want something down from me, too!)

Now, if only you guys on here would stop freaking me out about puff-backs...I burned my two Francos for 28 years and only had a few minor "woofs" when I opened the loading door to dump a bucket in. Seeing y'all posting about explosions has me a little worried. :notsure:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 9:35 pm

I've only had a couple small woofs in 4 yrs & my thermo flap on the back of the 50-93 took care of them. There's safety measures & you'll catch right on having burnt the FB ;) They give you any kind of an ETA on the stove?

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 9:59 pm

If the 2100 will fit your chimney hookup with a MPD installed that is the one for you. You can always run the 2100 lower but if the 1500 turns out on the low side for heating the house and you need to run it at 600* to keep the house warm, get my point? Bigger is better and can always be run lower. Keep in mind you are heating 3000 sq ft.

ridgeracing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove

Post by ridgeracing » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 10:31 pm

For less than $250. more I would opt for the DS1600WH. Like others said, you can just turn it down lower, but still have 120K btu!
As far as the basement stove, I believe the DS2100WH is basically a DS1600 with a different heat vent system and a higher BTU rating, but is is actually cheaper! Dont no why, I think it may have less cosmetic effects? I have had my DS for 3 weeks running with no hickups---LOVE IT
PS-I have a 2500sqft ranch

MarkV

Post by MarkV » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 6:43 pm

freetown fred wrote:I've only had a couple small woofs in 4 yrs & my thermo flap on the back of the 50-93 took care of them. There's safety measures & you'll catch right on having burnt the FB ;) They give you any kind of an ETA on the stove?
Blain Supply called DS while I was there on Saturday. The 1500 and the 2100 are both in stock, so now it's all when their installer can get it up here. I'm hoping for late next week if the installer gets in touch Monday. I realize it's Christmas Eve and all, but c'mon man, I need a stove!!! :D

MarkV

Post by MarkV » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 8:32 pm

fastcat wrote:If the 2100 will fit your chimney hookup with a MPD installed that is the one for you. You can always run the 2100 lower but if the 1500 turns out on the low side for heating the house and you need to run it at 600* to keep the house warm, get my point? Bigger is better and can always be run lower. Keep in mind you are heating 3000 sq ft.
fastcat wrote:If the 2100 will fit your chimney hookup with a MPD installed that is the one for you. You can always run the 2100 lower but if the 1500 turns out on the low side for heating the house and you need to run it at 600* to keep the house warm, get my point? Bigger is better and can always be run lower. Keep in mind you are heating 3000 sq ft.
Yeah, the height of the flue hookup on the DS2100WH will be a big part of the decision. But here's the thing.

My heat pump is on its last legs, and I'd like to get a new system next year that's sized to heat and cool the basement as well as the upstairs. That way we can stop burning coal regularly if we have to (due to age--I'm 57 and my wife is 60). Someday soon we might not be inclined (or able) to do the steps to tend the stove. (Keep in mind, the FB needed tended 3-4 times a day.) I'd still keep the coal stove to provide heat during power outages or extreme cold spells. I think the 1500 would be adequate to supplement my new system and provide backup when needed.

I also wonder if the DS2100WH is a bit oversized for my setup--as in too much hot air being pulled into the heat pump return. I burned out a couple blower motors the first ten years we were here, and my plumber said the original motors weren't rated for high enough ambient temps. No problems like that recently, but I'm sure the 2100 is going to throw off way more hot air than my Franco.

I appreciate your input, guys. I'm still considering the 2100 and those extra BTUs do sound nice.

MarkV

Post by MarkV » Sun. Dec. 30, 2012 10:59 pm

strat0 wrote:ok! I would get the #4. I have used mine for the last 3 years. It is my first coal stove. Love it. I can run it as hot as 600 degrees, or as cool as 225. Never a puff! Just keep the blue ladies dancing... as in my pic! To answer your question... its EXACTLY 30.5 inches to the bottom of the flue hook up. My home is an 1800 squ. ft. ranch... even temps... 72 degrees everywhere... give or take 3 degrees anywhere in the house. GL!!! =]
Strat, thanks for the info--especially the measurement of the flue hookup. After several days of wavering back and forth, I've decided to go with the 1500. It's a significant step up from my Franco BTU-wise, and it appears to be a better fit with my setup. Waiting now for the installer to get in touch to schedule the delivery and install. :drool:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”